D for Disaster (not D Fence)

BigBlue

3 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

And yet we could have beat Reilly last night with a few things changing on O or special teams. 

This game was not as bad as some make it seem. 

Or we could have been blown out if they hit the field goal and Fogg never gets a chance to return it.  Lots could have gone differently but we can only really comment on what actually did happen.

5 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Or we could have been blown out if they hit the field goal and Fogg never gets a chance to return it.  Lots could have gone differently but we can only really comment on what actually did happen.

Exactly right, and what happened was they started a rookie QB who was playing in a thunderstorm against the reigning MOP as well as one of the top MLBs in the league and they lost on a last second field goal. Not too bad given the circumstances.

6 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

And you know Hall picks the players? The GM and player personnel gurus bring in the players that the position coaches are left to work with and then collectively the coaching staff picks.  Give them a basket of rotten apples and you get to pick the least rotten ones I guess.

You actually think our defense is full of rotten apples?  Wow, nice fan you are. Not very knowledgeable either. Rotten apples, whatever. 

43 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

If losing to the team everyone says is the best team going on a last minute field goal when you have a 23 year old qb in his first start is the worst thing to happen then it should be a good year.

Yes that is the upside....I know this team is better in a lot of areas than they showed against Edm....The next game will be very telling...IF we struggle against that mess in Montreal....even with our green qb... hmmmmm the jury is going to be out...I want to see us put those guys away in a solid fashion and build from there

Reilly has always relied on his receivers doing that. Just throw it deep & they catch it almost everytime. His receivers should be getting MOP awards & not him. Esks fans better enjoy Duke Williams this season as next he's gone. And with his size & athletic ability he's not coming back.  Thing is, Zylstra will be back after Labour Day. 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Reilly has always relied on his receivers doing that. Just throw it deep & they catch it almost everytime. His receivers should be getting MOP awards & not him. Esks fans better enjoy Duke Williams this season as next he's gone. And with his size & athletic ability he's not coming back.  Thing is, Zylstra will be back after Labour Day. 

You sure that it’s not Reilly making all these guys look good... not the other way around?

18 minutes ago, Floyd said:

You sure that it’s not Reilly making all these guys look good... not the other way around?

No, Streveler could have thrown those up & he'd have had over 400 yards passing with that group of receivers. All they need is an arm's length of separation & they'll catch it. The Esks O is all about taking deep shots. Which means to take that away a defense has to punish Reilly by hitting him everytime he throws. We couldn't get to Reilly... We pressured him but there weren't enough sacks & he was able to get away from pressure.  What made me angry with Hall late in the 4th quarter is he suddenly got soft with coverage. He didn't want to give up anything completed deep so the Esks completed passes in front of the secondary, if you know what I mean. I wouldn't call it a Prevent but it might as well have been.  He wasn't pressuring anymore. He  wasn't playing to win but not to lose. So, we lost. Then LaPo with 2 absolutely stupid calls when we needed a couple of first downs...

Edited by SpeedFlex27

You guys are far to literal......my reference to the rotten apples was aimed at those who choose to over simplify and lay sole blame on Hall. Clearly there is a greater level of complexity to the defensive situation. It is amazing how much an impact Hughes had in Sask to improving their defensive situation. I do believe the addition of Bighill might make a similar impact on improving Hall’s defence.

On 2018-06-16 at 2:18 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

You actually think our defense is full of rotten apples?  Wow, nice fan you are. Not very knowledgeable either. Rotten apples, whatever. 

Some people dont get that it takes time to build chemistry and that football is a team sport. You cant just throw players together and instantly contend like in basketball. Our defensive backfield has seen 50% turn over. Our lb core and useage has changed a bunch. They played well individually, and itll only get better. Jsk and bighill flashed some great co op work. That is gonna be a ton of fun to watch later in the season.

Same thing with our Wrs, and yeah a rook qb. Its also the first game of the season after our vets took as few snaps in the pre season as weve seen from a MOS team. And we had a crazy long delay etc etc. And of course you cant take any thing away from the moes. reilly is the MOP and they have some big play making wrs. We could have won the game by making one of a dozen or so plays. Equally spread through all facets of the game. Including the FG/xpa. 

Edited by wbbfan

On 2018-06-16 at 2:11 PM, kelownabomberfan said:

yes, very impressed with our rookie QB.  Too bad we couldn't get him a win, but hey, losing to Mike Reilly isn't exactly cause to feel too much shame.  We'll get em next time.

They beat us with a 54 yard FG then they beat us in the playoffs and then they just beat us again. I guess we're due. 😼

2 hours ago, J5V said:

They beat us with a 54 yard FG then they beat us in the playoffs and then they just beat us again. I guess we're due. 😼

The wins are not going to get gifted to us. So long as Hall is directing the defence, we can expect the same outcomes. Even Weicek in the Freep is onto Hall now. Its like shooting fish in a barrel to criticize H, but that's all we have, and so long as O'Shea sees that the defence is "playing fine", nothing is going to change.