Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

I think 150k is more than fair with some MUCH higher earning potential if the guy lives up to it and is a superstar. I think what's offensive is him showing up to a tryout looking like a blimp....why should they take him seriously? If he's got a 150k base with potential to hit 400 in his first year, I think that's more than fair...

1 hour ago, pigseye said:

$150K is not a serious offer, actually quite insulting. $300K plus bonuses would have been realistic. 

Its likely that this was just a placeholder offer since the ticats hat a limited amount of time to make an offer or release him from thier neg list. The dollar amounts in the article don't seem realistic . It said in the article that his agent felt he was worth the same as Masoli but it also said they were asking for 500k which is way above what Masoli is schedule to make. I imagine they are still apart but not by nearly as much as this article is making it out to be.  

2 hours ago, pigseye said:

$150K is not a serious offer, actually quite insulting. $300K plus bonuses would have been realistic. 

For a guy who's proven next to nothing at the professional level, $150K plus incentives is more than reasonable and not insulting.

In other news, another player not under contract to the Argonauts gets his release to pursue the NFL: https://www.tsn.ca/riders-release-pending-free-agent-knox-jr-1.984525

The Saskatchewan Roughriders released linebacker Jeff Knox Jr. on Wednesday to allow him to pursue an opportunity in the NFL, the team announced. 

Knox Jr. is headed to Tampa to join the Buccaneers, per CTV Regina's Darrell Romuld. He had a previous stint with the Bucs in 2016, in which he appeared in three pre-season games.

Edited by blue_gold_84
info added

2 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

Its likely that this was just a placeholder offer since the ticats hat a limited amount of time to make an offer or release him from thier neg list. The dollar amounts in the article don't seem realistic . It said in the article that his agent felt he was worth the same as Masoli but it also said they were asking for 500k which is way above what Masoli is schedule to make. I imagine they are still apart but not by nearly as much as this article is making it out to be.  

I think they were probably referring to the contract the TiCats rid themselves of when they cut Collaros.

There are some good and bad with off season roster bonuses.  If a player is still recovering from an injury or surgery you can’t cut him. You can try but be can file a grievance.  Players usually agree to a roster bonus date ahead of the FA. If they get paid they then know there is a good possibility they are making the team, especially if it is a significant amount.  If they get cut they hit the market before the FA date and have a head start on getting signed eleswhere.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

@IanHamilton45
The Roughriders announce they have released running backs Shakir Bell and Kienan LaFrance.

Well, folks, there's your LaFrance....

There's a slim LaFrance he signs here.

52 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I don't think you have to post this in every thread...  just you know - to free up some time for you...

giphy.gif