Reassessing Chris Jones' Riders

BigBlue

We love to bash and crash the green machine next door west to us: no depth, no Canadians, mongrels with mish mash of talent filled with has beens ... no end of disrespect and disparaging jokes

But the facts are that in spite of losing Jones and company came very close to winning and could be sitting in first place right now ... they were at least competitive

The chances of going 0 & 18 look more and more remote .... the probability of going 9 & 9 are going up

As much as we love to hate and ridicule Jones, he has done some things in his career and we might be seeing the early signs of a turnaround...

Or is this complete foolishness? "The Riders are going to implode as soon as the injury bug hits!" some will shout with pride.

So is Jones talented or a lucky pretender?

yeah but I think the talent and poor coaching is going to stay as it is to start the year and not get better whereas the other teams will undoubtedly improve.

Also they continue to have this revolving door, as seen today releasing and adding guys still...creating a lack of cohesion and pretty much guys afraid to ball out and just play for fear of messing up and being dumped...not a good recipe going on there.

Realistically if Nichols was on in first half and didnt miss the two sure td's the game would have been a rout. Sask would have wilted and it would have been ugly.

Thats not to even mention some of the crap calls going in sask favour

1 hour ago, BigBlue said:

We love to bash and crash the green machine next door west to us: no depth, no Canadians, mongrels with mish mash of talent filled with has beens ... no end of disrespect and disparaging jokes

But the facts are that in spite of losing Jones and company came very close to winning and could be sitting in first place right now ... they were at least competitive

The chances of going 0 & 18 look more and more remote .... the probability of going 9 & 9 are going up

As much as we love to hate and ridicule Jones, he has done some things in his career and we might be seeing the early signs of a turnaround...

Or is this complete foolishness? "The Riders are going to implode as soon as the injury bug hits!" some will shout with pride.

I say this without having watched this weekend's game in full yet, was at the lake, so "settled" for Mr.Irving.

The facts are, the Riders are 0-2.  Sure, they've been close to winning. Sure, they're looking a bit better than many of us thought.  To that I say a big soooooooo what. They are 0-2.  Not bashing your post, but this is akin to what lots of us did with so many Bomber teams of yesteryear.  Find excuses for our lack of winning. 

The Riders look destined to be the best 4-14 team in league history to me.  Let 'em have it, and hope more excuses pile up.  I'll take our Bombers and an "average" 10-13 win team anyday. 

I don't pretend to be an expert on their roster, but they just (still) seem to be missing so much of the fundamentals.... consistent QB play, depth on o-line and national starters etc and don't have enough positions of strength to overcome them.  <<< That, in year 3 of Jones and co., would not be cool with this fan. 

1 hour ago, BigBlue said:

complete foolishness.  Their QB is Kevin Glenn. The same Kevin Glenn they had in 2015 when they also had like 6 or 7 close games with no wins to show for it. Sure the losses aren't all on him, but hes now 1-10 as their starting QB (though im not sure if he ever got any starts his first time around nearly 20 years ago). It's the old adage, everything old is new again 

The Riders were as fired up and played as hard as I've seen them play under Jones. That got them a close beat down on a day that you have to believe meant the world to them. Nope, sorry...it's all down hill from here for the Riders. Those are the kind of losses that break your spirit and divide your locker room.

I don't see the Riders winning even half of their games. They've already let 2 winnable ones get away and I'm fairly certain that they will end up last in the West. But... 

Either the Riders are no where near as bad as a lot of folks around here think they are or we are no where near as good as those same folks think we are. If their crappy kicker could simply make 'easy' FG's, they'd most likely be 1-0-1, good enough to be tied for 2nd place in the West, which would leave us 0-0-1 and on the bottom. 

Notes:

• It doesn't mean everyone else is good and the Bombers are bad.
  • It doesn't mean that I'm unhappy that we won.
  • It doesn't mean that I was unhappy in the 90's when we won big.
  • It doesn't mean that I wonder why folks think I'm negative.
  • It doesn't mean anything at all about all the other QB's in the league.

Did I miss any? :D

Edited by TBURGESS
removed one

8 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

The Riders were as fired up and played as hard as I've seen them play under Jones. That got them a close beat down on a day that you have to believe meant the world to them. Nope, sorry...it's all down hill from here for the Riders. Those are the kind of losses that break your spirit and divide your locker room.

As much as I would like you to be wrong and hope you are, I couldn't help feeling walking out of the stadium that it may be not quite as loud next week. Won't change anything for me as I am a diehard.

2 hours ago, BigBlue said:

That is as well as Kevin Glenn can play.  Emotion carried their D for a quarter, as did the rust on Nichols. 

They might have a shot against Hamilton, but if they lose that next one at home then 0-18 is a very real possibility.  Their morale will sink.  Jones will lose the players. Look what's happened today releasing Newsome and Tull who was promising.  Jones and Murphy are desperate. They know the next game is massive. 

21 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I don't see the Riders winning even half of their games. They've already let 2 winnable ones get away and I'm fairly certain that they will end up last in the West. But... 

Either the Riders are no where near as bad as a lot of folks around here think they are or we are no where near as good as those same folks think we are. If their crappy kicker could simply make 'easy' FG's, they'd most likely be 1-0-1, good enough to be tied for 2nd place in the West, which would leave us 0-0-1 and on the bottom. 

Notes:

I'll agree they would have won the Montreal game because it was a kick for the win.  But even if Crappy kicks that 2 OT FG the bombers know they need 6 to win, I doubt they play as conservative as they do. Of course that's a "what if" but knowing what you need to win, in this case 1-3 points it changes the play calling significantly. So there's no promise the riders walk away with a tie even if the kick goes through

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

28 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

Look down their roster, which players are going to have a strong allegiance to Regina?  Hardly any players have been there more than 2 years, they're a bunch of strangers playing in a strange land.

24 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Notes:

That legit made lol in my office. Nicely done!

1 minute ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I'll agree they would have won the Montreal game because it was a kick for the win.  But even if Crappy kicks that 2 OT FG the bombers know they need 6 to win, I doubt they play as conservative as they do. Of course that's a "what if" but know what you need to win, in this case 1-3 points it changes the plan calling significantly. So there's no promise the riders walk away with a tie even if the kick goes through

Of course we might have scored a TD. That's why I said most likely outcome. I'd rather have seen the Riders make that OT FG and us win by scoring a TD so it was our good play rather than the Riders bad play that won us the game.

6 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Of course we might have scored a TD. That's why I said most likely outcome. I'd rather have seen the Riders make that OT FG and us win by scoring a TD so it was our good play rather than the Riders bad play that won us the game.

I think we'd all prefer a more dominant finish, hell I would have prefered we had continued to step on their throat after going on a 31-3 run, but in the end we came away with a W in Regina. Only thing that mattered at the end of the day.

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

Ill be honest... Most their fans are so delushional and just drinking the Jones kool aid that i honest DGAF about the riders at all. They are an arrogant organization with idiot fans and honestly i hope they go 0 and 18. Screw the riders. This in my opinion has been a long time coming for the self proclaimed Canadas Team. 

1 hour ago, gcn11 said:

Just wait until Carter really loses his sh-t. That dbag has a lot of bad karma coming his way. Jones chose to ignore that and it's going to prove to be a huge mistake. I watched him go up and make a catch against us the other night and he started shaking his head affirmatively and marching to the stands for the adoration of the fans. Not his team mates, the fans. He didn't want to celebrate his accomplishment with his team mates, no, it was all about him and his fans. His groupies. I don't care how good that dbag is, he is a coach and a team killer. I already bet most of his team mates can't stand him.

Image result for oh my god who the hell cares

Count me in this camp. They lost a tight game on the road to a pretty meh Alouettes team. And then lost to kick off their new digs. To a bitter rival. In OT due to a botched FG.

I can't see them winning more than 6 games this season. If they lose to the Ti-Cats this week, there's going to be trouble in the rectangle province.

4 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

complete foolishness.  Their QB is Kevin Glenn. The same Kevin Glenn they had in 2015 when they also had like 6 or 7 close games with no wins to show for it. Sure the losses aren't all on him, but hes now 1-10 as their starting QB (though im not sure if he ever got any starts his first time around nearly 20 years ago). It's the old adage, everything old is new again 

Kevin Glenn=latest?cb=20121102233814

"Its only a game, no one died."

94-98-1 'nuff said

2 hours ago, johnzo said:

Thing to be worried about is that Glenn and co put up 40 on our D with only one takeaway.

Gonna be interesting to see how we fare against BLM and the other premium QBs in the league.

I'd be surprised to see Carmichael starting on friday. The coaches are well aware of how bad he got lit up again and again on sat. The question will be,  do they give him a chance to redeem? or is Johnson back

55 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I'd be surprised to see Carmichael starting on friday. The coaches are well aware of how bad he got lit up again and again on sat. The question will be,  do they give him a chance to redeem? or is Johnson back

Sounds like he's still starting at HB in practice.  I think they give him a chance and honestly I didn't think he was that bad.  They'll try to get him a little more help from Loffler and Leggett.

1 hour ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

MOS said today that Carmichael will start again and will be given plenty of opportunities to improve seeing as he was so impressive during training camp and practice. We'll see. Some people just dont have it when the bullets are flying for real.

Still not sure whats up with Johnson. Haven't heard a peep over the last week and his twitter has been silent for some time now....

They've had Roc practising all over the secondary since he got here so I hope a little consistency in the same position will help him.  He's not the 1st guy to get burned in his 1st game so I'm definitely not writing him off yet.