CFL Combine

Mike

13 hours ago, Dirty30 said:

Vandervoort or Auclair if Auclair were to remain in the cfl? How likely is it that Auclair ends up in the NFL?

I think its 100% chance auclair will be in an nfl camp. Will he be in the cfl part way through this year or next year? Cant say for sure.

If they were both gonna be in the cfl id take auclair. The difference between him and vandervoort/jfg blocking on run plays, pinching an end, and blocking on pass plays away from him is massive. Add in his miss match lining up against any defender especially in the redzone and you have a dream package guy. I think both would produce similarly at catching and yards. 

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I think its 100% chance auclair will be in an nfl camp. Will he be in the cfl part way through this year or next year? Cant say for sure.

If they were both gonna be in the cfl id take auclair. The difference between him and vandervoort/jfg blocking on run plays, pinching an end, and blocking on pass plays away from him is massive. Add in his miss match lining up against any defender especially in the redzone and you have a dream package guy. I think both would produce similarly at catching and yards. 

All of which could easily land him an NFL job. Depth at the tight end position and perhaps an extra body for jumbo packages.

Doesn't make sense that Senior and Auclair still get drafted despite NFL interest but Ankou falls off the board.

Also weird how Woodson is persona non grata now...  I thought he showed really well at the combine - don't really see much difference between him and Wright.

11 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I can't see how Auclair fits into the CFL game, he's more of a lineman then he is a receiver.  Back in the days when they used a real T.E. he might be a good pick, but not now.

56 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

All of which could easily land him an NFL job. Depth at the tight end position and perhaps an extra body for jumbo packages.

yes i fully expect him to be in the nfl this year. how he performs at that level in camp is beyond guessing though. 

44 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I can't see how Auclair fits into the CFL game, he's more of a lineman then he is a receiver.  Back in the days when they used a real T.E. he might be a good pick, but not now.

every cfl team uses an F slotback, the interior slot whose the one that will pitch in blocking on the edge more then youd think. He easily has the skill set to play inside slot in the cfl and be a full time pass catcher.

last year our NI wrs combined for 44 catches on 67 attempts for 450 yards 2 tds and 1 play over 30 yards. 23 and change yards per game play offs included.  .10 tds per game.  auclair runs like a wr and has the tools for the position. The top 3 in this draft class could all do that them self. 

Edited by wbbfan

23 hours ago, bearpants said:

Right now, we have #1, #6 and #15... that's a legitimate shot at 3 high end players... I would rather have that then stockpile a bunch of 3rd and 4th round picks...

yup.  sure there is some gems to be found in the later rounds but why risk getting zero on a return when the potential for a first or second rounder panning out is much higher??

the logic be flawed.

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

yes i fully expect him to be in the nfl this year. how he performs at that level in camp is beyond guessing though. 

every cfl team uses an F slotback, the interior slot whose the one that will pitch in blocking on the edge more then youd think. He easily has the skill set to play inside slot in the cfl and be a full time pass catcher.

last year our NI wrs combined for 44 catches on 67 attempts for 450 yards 2 tds and 1 play over 30 yards. 23 and change yards per game play offs included.  .10 tds per game.  auclair runs like a wr and has the tools for the position. The top 3 in this draft class could all do that them self. 

You forgot one touchdown pass as well.......

Auclair is an interesting enough anomaly that he would be worth a second-rounder. No one really uses a tight end any more but that might work in Auclair's favour if he has a creative offensive coach.

Edited by tracker

18 hours ago, Noeller said:

So you guys in the know....Auclair would be like a more-talented, more-Canadian version of Nik Lewis....?

Despite lewis' size it isnt a good comparison. Nik lewis was a pro football player and fully developed as such before he blew up. Nik lewis is more like ron warner 2.0 then tony auclair 1.0.

15 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Teyo Johnson might be the best compariable. Played with stamps in 2008 and 2009. Drafted in the second round by the Raiders.

teyo johnson was a freak athlete who went to college as a qb, and wanted to be a qb. He switched positions to get on the field and was drafted and sought after because of a good year as a wr and his athletic ability. Auclair is a more natural football player but also at his position with inside slot / te. He was more trent corney at te, but was still a 2 sport athlete who was converted to football. 

16 hours ago, WildPath said:

You forgot one touchdown pass as well.......

Thats right too. Kohlert the td passing machine. :lol: Another could have been great NI qb gone to waste. :P 

Geoff Gray is having his pro day today with 8 NFL teams in attendance (along with the Bombers & Riders).   Here's what he's done so far & how his numbers compare to other OL at the combines:

Broad Jump: 9'6" (tied for 2nd in NFL & 1st in CFL)

Bench Press: 25 reps (tied for 14th in NFL & tied for 3rd in CFL)

Vertical: 31" (tied for 2nd in NFL & tied for 1st in CFL)

40: 5.28 sec (21st in NFL & tied for 1st in CFL)

Edited by bigg jay

9 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

His forty time might be problematic as his bench. However, who knows what the scouts are thinking? May not be an issue.

Why would scouts not want a fast OL?

Senior's 40 was 5.55 I believe

Edited by Floyd

5 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

His forty time might be problematic as his bench. However, who knows what the scouts are thinking? May not be an issue.

For reference: Best OL time was 4.81

Eighth best time was 5.15 (there were four OL that received that time).

Bench press: Top 35 reps for OL.

And seven players got 26 reps.

Is he that far off?