CFL Combine

Mike

53 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I wouldn't get too comfortable this year - an injury to Harris or Loffler early can still put this team in a bind...

Bladek #1 

Mulumba or Ekakitie at #6,

Futures at #15 - Ankou or Auclair... unless Behar, Wright, Woodson have dropped - I think all of those guys can go back to school if necessary

#23 - Augustine, Gosselin, Carter

If you were drafting for the best of the 2017 roster all things being equal you'd want a receiver and probably a DB that could play...like Wright and an interior DL.  Our OL is 7 deep with Couture and Neufeld in reserve, really 8 deep with Foketi.  We have a ton of LB's too.  Harris' long term backup is an import, so you can counter that with a second receiver and then interchange a DI-Normand with that receiver and the import tailback.

2 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

If you were drafting for the best of the 2017 roster all things being equal you'd want a receiver and probably a DB that could play...like Wright and an interior DL.  Our OL is 7 deep with Couture and Neufeld in reserve, really 8 deep with Foketi.  We have a ton of LB's too.  Harris' long term backup is an import, so you can counter that with a second receiver and then interchange a DI-Normand with that receiver and the import tailback.

I was looking at it from this angle...

Mulumba or Ekakitie would be rotational players if needed...  they seem to be better players than anyone we have currently.

Some rotation featuring one of two/Waggoner/Corney rotating with starting imports 'should' be serviceable if there's injury issues

I'm fine with our 5th receiver being one of JFG/Richards/Normand and one of Gosselin/Augustine/Carter on PR

Valdemort for #1 pick.  I really want to see a good young Canadian receiver again like in the days of Joe Pop and Rick House. JFG is a proven plug and Addison Richards may finally make it through a training camp without breaking something, but I'd like to see Kyle roll the dice here and pick a receiver.

55 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I was looking at it from this angle...

Mulumba or Ekakitie would be rotational players if needed...  they seem to be better players than anyone we have currently.

Some rotation featuring one of two/Waggoner/Corney rotating with starting imports 'should' be serviceable if there's injury issues

I'm fine with our 5th receiver being one of JFG/Richards/Normand and one of Gosselin/Augustine/Carter on PR

JFG is "good enough".  I'm hoping that we can move forward from good enough to some one who might just be a legitimate threat.  Vandervoort might just be that guy.  I'd love to see him crack the starting line up and move JFG or Richards into a backup role.  There will still be good O or D line picks at 6.

8 hours ago, Floyd said:

Harris is 29... I'd stockpile as many picks as possible, will need to change ratio soon.

I'm not very good at this whole draft thing, but I will throw in my opinion on a possibility at the # 6 pick.

First, I'm not sure that I agree with this statement, Harris is not done yet and this is a great time to bring in a national to develop. I was wondering which way we might be going since we let Lochard go?

But I kind of think that with the strong showing from Johnny Augustine in the combine, I could see the Bombers taking him at 6th or 15th. He seems to be a highly rated prospect.

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 8:49 PM, Floyd said:

This is probably true... its also true that no one would notice him if Simonise was still in this year's draft.

I really don't see a huge difference between him and Jones, Coehoorn, Harty...  big-body, CFL ready, looked great in combine...

Will be a solid 500 yard receiver...

Simonise is immature trying  to take short cuts & thinks he can crack an NFL team. Maybe he can & maybe he can't. I do know this, he flunked out of the University of Calgary. To be able to play in the CFL & NFL you have to be smart as well as disciplined putting in the hours studying after 2 a days at training camp learning an offensive  system. The coaches will demand it. If he can't handle simple academics at university then how is he going to handle a CFL or NFL playbook? Vandervoort is the safer choice, I believe.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

8 hours ago, Dirty30 said:

Vandervoort or Auclair if Auclair were to remain in the cfl? How likely is it that Auclair ends up in the NFL?

I would say very... he has prototypical tight end size and pass-catching ability... however, how is his blocking? That, I don't know about...

11 hours ago, Dee Urban Hermit said:

I'm not very good at this whole draft thing, but I will throw in my opinion on a possibility at the # 6 pick.

First, I'm not sure that I agree with this statement, Harris is not done yet and this is a great time to bring in a national to develop. I was wondering which way we might be going since we let Lochard go?

But I kind of think that with the strong showing from Johnny Augustine in the combine, I could see the Bombers taking him at 6th or 15th. He seems to be a highly rated prospect.

You won't see anybody draft Augustine that high.

5 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

John Hodge has his mock draft up.  Can't say I agree with everything he's got though (like Bladek dropping to 13 because he didn't have a great combine but Woods still going #2 even though he also didn't have the best weekend).

http://3downnation.com/2017/03/29/post-combine-cfl-mock-draft/

He has Augustine going high in the second round. 11 to Saskatchewan.

I wouldn't be surprised if a GM took a chance, early in the 2nd round, hoping (praying) that he turns into a stud, ratio-breaking RB. Jones seems like the type to do that.

12 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

John Hodge has his mock draft up.  Can't say I agree with everything he's got though (like Bladek dropping to 13 because he didn't have a great combine but Woods still going #2 even though he also didn't have the best weekend).

http://3downnation.com/2017/03/29/post-combine-cfl-mock-draft/

I agree with very little of that mock, since according to a lot of reports, Bladek had a very good combine. This is the same thing that happened last year, though. His mocks are usually full of reaches.

After watching Woods in the 1 on 1's at the combine, hard to belive he would be anything other than a late 2 or 3rd round project. He wasn't using his size to advantage and got outleveraged by just about everyone. In the coaches choice 1 on 1's Woods and Bladek clearly got the most reps at multiple positions and Bladek seemed to hold his position against everyone but Luke. Woods was leveraged out of position by almost all the DLinemen.

IF anyone was really following what was going on in the combine, then how the heck do you come to the conclusion that Woods would be taken before Bladek...IF O Line is going to be our priority then based on performance Bladek gets the nod...Makes you wonder about some of these mock drafts and who is actually doing them...Some don't appear to be too informed and just put stuff out there for the sake of being seen or heard...Bombers management is not braindead Hodge...wake-up

Edited by Stickem

3 minutes ago, coach17 said:

The only thing though, is Woods has size, and you can't teach that. He's like 6'8" and was listed at 295 but came into the combine at 330.

Tyson Pencer had great size too...

Heck, my brother-in-law is about 6'3" and 350 lbs, but nobody is drafting him either. :)