CFL Combine

Mike

3 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Reports say that Jones dominated everything last year - drills too...   But if you look at the high end receiver picks - the return from players picked after them is pretty consistently higher...

We've wasted enough high picks on receivers.  Pick up Carter or Augustine in the second.

Both of those things have zero relevance to this draft and the players available.

Should the Oilers have passed on McDavid because they flubbed forward picks and needed defensemen?

Not saying Vandervoort is McDavid but their evaluation of him will have nothing to do with Chris Bauman, Brian Jones, Kito Poblah or Jade Etienne.

11 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Both of those things have zero relevance to this draft and the players available.

Should the Oilers have passed on McDavid because they flubbed forward picks and needed defensemen?

Not saying Vandervoort is McDavid but their evaluation of him will have nothing to do with Chris Bauman, Brian Jones, Kito Poblah or Jade Etienne.

The McDavid comparison makes zero sense.

Receiver is a wild card pick.  OL, DL are the right picks unless you have a 'generational' player which this draft doesn't seem to have.

If you're only fielding one NI REC, it can be filled with 'castoffs' like Kohlert, JFG...  you can't do that with OL/DL

22 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Receiver is a wild card pick.  OL, DL are the right picks unless you have a 'generational' player which this draft doesn't seem to have.

If you're only fielding one NI REC, it can be filled with 'castoffs' like Kohlert, JFG...  you can't do that with OL/DL

Every pick is a "wild card."  There's no position that has a better success rate in terms of players career length.  There are no "right picks" by position.  That's lunacy.

If you are drafting based on trying to map some kind of trend, you are going to lose.  You have to evaluate each player and draft in isolation.

30 minutes ago, Floyd said:

If you're only fielding one NI REC, it can be filled with 'castoffs' like Kohlert, JFG...  you can't do that with OL/DL.

Shomari Williams, Scott Mitchell, Tyson Pencer, Ameet Pall, Linden Gaydosh, Matt Sewell, Cory Watman say otherwise.

30 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Edited by rebusrankin

Yah, no one ever argued that every draft pick works out...

And however you want to distort it... OL is the 'right' or the safe pick in the first round.  They generally have longer and more productive careers... i.e. full-time starters.  Top DL move into the league quickly

Bladek is the right choice - he had a great combine too but just not as flashy as the rec/db drills.

5 minutes ago, Floyd said:

And however you want to distort it... OL is the 'right' or the safe pick in the first round.  They generally have longer and more productive careers... i.e. full-time starters.  Top DL move into the league quickly

Bladek is the right choice - he had a great combine too but just not as flashy as the rec/db drills.

Except that we seem to have a need at NI receiver.  So if Walters thinks that Vandervoort is the best of the bunch and could fill our need now, he might just pick him.  There will still be quality lineman at pick #6, but it's unlikely that Vandervoort will be.  We shall see.

8 minutes ago, Floyd said:

There hasn't been a DL drafted in the last 3 years who has started a game outside of the last two horrible Saskatchewan teams.

7 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

There hasn't been a DL drafted in the last 3 years who has started a game outside of the last two horrible Saskatchewan teams.

Oh we're looking at just the last three years...?  That's convenient.

One of the challenges with DL is that the top end guys get too much NFL interest now...  

But yeah, I'll still take Turner, Westerman, Laing, Laurent, Capicotti... Smith and Waud are very good too

Edited by Floyd

3 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Oh we're looking at just the last three years...?  That's convenient.

One of the challenges with DL is that the top end guys get too much NFL interest now...  

But yeah, I'll still take Turner, Westerman, Laing, Laurent, Capicotti... Smith and Waud are very good too

"Top DL move into the league quickly."

4 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

"Top DL move into the league quickly."

Not as quickly as OL... 

But yeah Turner, Laing, Laurent and Cappicotti moved in quickly...  Gaydosh got injured

Waud, Corney and Smith are already rotational players/ST...

Edited by Floyd

2 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

Except that we seem to have a need at NI receiver.  So if Walters thinks that Vandervoort is the best of the bunch and could fill our need now, he might just pick him.  There will still be quality lineman at pick #6, but it's unlikely that Vandervoort will be.  We shall see.

I'd predict that Vandervoort will still be available at #6, there's decent enough O+D-line prospects to keep the other teams occupied 2-5.  Not many teams desperate enough for a Natl. receiver that they'd sacrifice their first lineman pick in the first round.

21 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I'd predict that Vandervoort will still be available at #6, there's decent enough O+D-line prospects to keep the other teams occupied 2-5.  Not many teams desperate enough for a Natl. receiver that they'd sacrifice their first lineman pick in the first round.

Hammy is pretty desperate. Already rumbles that they will grab him if available. In the end I'll leave it to Walters and the scouts...

31 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Been wondering about BC since they got Foucault...  I think they take a REC at #3 - but Ekakitie is a Buono type pick too.

7 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I don't see Jones and Vandervoort as comparable really.  Vandervoort stepped into the OUA at 18 and played at a level Jones never reached, even in a historically bad conference, the AUS.  Jones dominated physical testing.  Vandervoort dominated the football drills as expected.  Both have a high ceiling, Vandervoort is significantly closer to reaching his.

Idk if vandervoort has the up side. Will really have to see him on the field in camp/pre season / action to see. He is the highly polished show ready low risk high reward type though. I have trouble seeing him come in and be less productive then jamie stoddards better seasons. 500 with 4tds. Seems like a real hard worker. Smart, and football guy too. I dont think weve seen as polished a wr come out of the cis before.

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

What bb1 and floyd said. I could see BC taking him, but think they will go OL. No matter the focault trade. Unless the top 3 ol are sure fire gone to the nfl. I dont see him falling past the hammer. 

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Been wondering about BC since they got Foucault...  I think they take a REC at #3 - but Ekakitie is a Buono type pick too.

is that deal official now? 

I think vandervoort could probably start as a rookie for half the teams in the league. us included. 

7 hours ago, Noeller said:

Keep in mind the Rec-DB 1/1s are heavily slanted in favour of the Rec. You can't just go by the combine results on that and say VDeV is the guy, automatically. Smart money still says we take someone on either side of the line with #1...

with 2 picks in the top 6, 3 ol and 3 wrs (+ ankou) who are strong prospects we are in a good position to get 2 of em. If we get one of the 4 linemen and 1 of the wrs thatd be pretty perfect in my books. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Blue said:

haha wow. jones living it up while it lasts.

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

high receiver draft picks always seem to get injured early in the season and end up watching on the sidelines all year.  At least when we pick them anyway.  Or they just stink, like Harry Potter Etienne.

jade to be fair was built like a ballerina more then a football player when we picked him. gotta stop picking wrs out of regina lol. unless we convert them to punter. 

Edited by wbbfan

News Gatherings...

CFL Headlines
Ex-Ticat Sinkfield trying out on defence to stay in NFL

CFL News - "We've got some issues around coach's challenge process. I think you'll see some changes around that." - @g_d_johnson #CFL via @rodpedersen
- #CFL reduced the number of flags thrown by its officials by 13% last year - @g_d_johnson via @Ted_Wyman

Farhan Llaji
Durant says he doesn't think he was ever Chris Jones' guy, going back to when he coached against DD. Says he never had good things to say.

CFL News
-Strong rumblings within #CFL circles that retired #Redblacks QB @HenryBurris will join the @CFLonTSN panel - @TimCBaines
-Rumour - "I'd also heard that former Argonauts GM Jim Barker may be offered a spot on the panel as well"  - Rod pedersen
- In 2012, were 33 former #CFL players working in football ops in #CFL (coaching, mgmt and scouting). In 2017, there are 60. - @rodpedersen

?‍?The best results resulting from the recent CFL week is definitely the exposure that all the partisans received beyond what has transpired in the past. 
?‍?And the idea to fly in bonafide CFL players to take part in the activities ramped up the excitement and media attention. Well done to all involved, even the city of Regina.
?‍?And I have to agree with Vicky Hall of the Toronto Sun when she said..."The CFL hit a home run by officially announcing the names of this year’s inductees at a celebration event held at the new Mosaic Stadium. So much better than burying the news in an out-of-the-blue press release."

?‍? - Mr Dee

And Wally Buono..."The CFL cannot exist just in the months from June to November,” Buono said while on stage with the other West Division coaches in a media conference. “We’ve got to keep the focus on the CFL all year round and things like this will go a long, long way to help that. Hopefully this will help us engage the younger generation which we definitely need again…“Obviously, you want the fans involved and the media here, but the fact that the players see this as tribute to who they are and what they do was very, very, very positive.”
http://www.torontosun.com/2017/03/26/five-takeaways-from-cfl-week?token=7cdcf5448f88c63e70ac13ffbf8c42f3

“With what we witnessed here I can assure you TSN would be interested in becoming an even bigger presence going frward. I can see us bringing the panel here and setting up for additional involvements,” said Graham. (TSN vice-president and executive producer Paul Graham.)

-#CFL Week was creation of  @Commish13 & the league’s senior vice-president of content and marketing, @Litz72 - @murraylp #MarksCFLWeek (CFL VP of content and marketing Christine Litz who designed, developed and delivered the project.)

"It wasn’t just the Regina and Saskatchewan community, it was the Canadian community. People came from all over the country to experience this sight unseen. And after they experienced it, I believe they left here thinking they experienced something special, something that’s never been done before." said CFL Commissioner Jeffrey Orridge.
http://www.torontosun.com/2017/03/26/inaugural-cfl-week-proves-to-be-huge-hit?token=f6ab3660778a5601882a3d9ae385e05a

"Perhaps the best testament of its success is that no one seems to have any type of complaint."
"One thing is certain: there's a lineup forming to host the 2018 Marks CFL Week."
Rod Pedersen

Justin Dunk's top 5 performers...
Danny Vandervoort, McMaster, REC
Johnny Augustine, Guelph, RB
Junior Luke, Montreal, DL
Braden Schram, Calgary, OL
Nate Hamlin, Carleton, DL
http://3downnation.com/2017/03/26/top-5-performances-at-the-cfl-combine/

Also - Who the top prospects interviewed with at the CFL combine
http://3downnation.com/2017/03/27/top-prospects-interviewed-cfl-combine/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+JustinDunk3downnation+(3DownNation-Justin+Dunk+AAA)

Bombers...
“You’re watching the same player so generally when we all saw him similarly we’d moved onto the next one but there was a bunch where we were different in our opinions and you would hash it out and ask ‘Why did you see it like this, why did you see it like this; this is why I saw it like that.’ And you’d watch the film and have discussions and then come to a general consensus. - Kyle Walters on hashing out choices on the upcoming CFL draft.

What Walters and O’Shea do see the same is an effort level. Walters has said previously he and the head coach do have soft spots for ‘effort’ guys.
http://www.bluebombers.com/2017/03/26/cfl-week-recap/