CFL Combine

Mike

Combine Info from Ed Tait

I came here to play football, not run a race. - Evan Foster 

The University of Manitoba Bisons defensive lineman was arguably the busiest prospect at Evraz Place on Saturday, taking reps in the trenches and impressing with his speed off the edge, and then being switched to linebacker for another look-see from CFL teams intrigued by his athleticism.

Listed at 6-1, 245, Foster flashed his skills at end. But his quickness seems to be intriguing CFL scouts and he had a hint he would get some work at linebacker after doing interviews with all teams except Edmonton on Thursday.

Also meeting with all CFL teams was Nate Behar.
“It was kinda fun,” he said. “Some of them try to goad you and get under your skin a little bit. But I’m an easygoing guy and so I don’t think I took the bait on any of that. None of them were really negative… they just tried to show some bad plays. You’ve just got to admit your flaws and tell them you’ll be ready to go by May 25th.

Here are a handful of guys that jumped out for Ed Tait of bluebombers.com (in no particular order):

Danny Vandervoort, WR, McMaster: Really popped off the page; no drops, great hands.

Junior Luke, DT, Montreal: Had his moments in the one-on-ones, flashing an ability to overpower O-linemen.

Kwabena Asare, LB, Carleton: Very raw, but he’s got size at 6-8, 296. A project type OL.

Nathaniel Behar, WR, Carleton: There’s speed there and a great base of athleticism.

Mark Mackie, DL, McMaster: It’s tough to project him as anything but a special teams guy, but his performance in one-on-ones might have moved him at least onto the radar as a later-round pick.

Braden Schram, OL, Calgary: Very steady in the trenches.

Johnny Augustine, RB, Guelph: Walters noted that his pass protection looked like it needed work on his game film. Not an issue at the combine.

Ed Tait also supplies the Top 3 finishers in each category for:
40 Yard Dash 
Bench Press
Vertical Leap
Broad Jump
Shuttle 
3 Cone Drill

http://www.bluebombers.com/2017/03/25/cfl-combine-wrap/

Jan 25, 2017 - ... Montreal - Joe Mack has been hired as Assistant General Manager of Player Personnel.

Edited by Mr Dee

Just now, Mr Dee said:

The University of Manitoba Bisons defensive lineman was arguably the busiest prospect at Evraz Place on Saturday, taking reps in the trenches and impressing with his speed off the edge, and then being switched to linebacker for another look-see from CFL teams intrigued by his athleticism.

Listed at 6-1, 245, Foster flashed his skills at end. But his quickness seems to be intriguing CFL scouts and he had a hint he would get some work at linebacker after doing interviews with all teams except Edmonton on Thursday.

“It was kinda fun,” he said. “Some of them try to goad you and get under your skin a little bit. But I’m an easygoing guy and so I don’t think I took the bait on any of that. None of them were really negative… they just tried to show some bad plays. You’ve just got to admit your flaws and tell them you’ll be ready to go by May 25th.

Here are a handful of guys that jumped out for Ed Tait of bluebombers.com (in no particular order):

Danny Vandervoort, WR, McMaster: Really popped off the page; no drops, great hands.

Junior Luke, DT, Montreal: Had his moments in the one-on-ones, flashing an ability to overpower O-linemen.

Kwabena Asare, LB, Carleton: Very raw, but he’s got size at 6-8, 296. A project type OL.

Nathaniel Behar, WR, Carleton: There’s speed there and a great base of athleticism.

Mark Mackie, DL, McMaster: It’s tough to project him as anything but a special teams guy, but his performance in one-on-ones might have moved him at least onto the radar as a later-round pick.

Johnny Augustine, RB, Guelph: Walters noted that his pass protection looked like it needed work on his game film. Not an issue at the combine.

40 Yard Dash 
Bench Press
Vertical Leap
Broad Jump
Shuttle 
3 Cone Drill

Interesting- thanks, but it sounded like Hoover didn't suck too badly.

5 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

40 Yard Dash 
Bench Press
Vertical Leap
Broad Jump
Shuttle 
3 Cone Drill

Jan 25, 2017 - ... Montreal - Joe Mack has been hired as Assistant General Manager of Player Personnel.

Nice synopsis ?  Tait also listed the best all time records for some of the results...interesting that none of the players that topped the combine results made an impact in the CFL.

We need to really take a long hard look at Danny Vandervoot ...He would definitely fill a position of need and seems to possess everything a team could want in a receiver to develop...Comes from Mike O'Sheas neck of the woods and would certainly be a nice fit here...He won't be on the board long that's for sure and some team is going to pick up a fantastic prospect.

6 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Hypothetical, what if the Bombers go Vandervoot at the #1 and Junior Luke at the 6 and wait on an OL?

With Ankou likely going to NFL and Woods/Herdman very ordinary combines, I'm not totally against him as #1... 

But... I think a fair comparable is Brian Jones...  he was last year's combine star and was CFL ready but I wouldn't take him before Singleton, Vaillancourt, Corney...

Bladek had a really good combine imo and is the better/safer pick...  Mulumba has close to Muamba numbers and Ekakitie hasn't had his pro-day yet.

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

planning how to get back into a position where he doesnt have to be bothered with such plebeian things a the combine. 

yeah or scheming on how he can get invited to go with Walters to Dairy Queen for "old times sake" and then quickly snap pictures of all of Kyle's research while he's in the bath-room.

I looked at Mack's Wikipedia and there's nothing on there about being hired by Montreal, so that's why I didn't know he was now with Montreal.  My bad.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

12 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

yeah or scheming on how he can get invited to go with Walters to Dairy Queen for "old times sake" and then quickly snap pictures of all of Kyle's research while he's in the bath-room.

Pfft.  Mack doesn't need research... he'll pick whoever looked great at the combine...

And with the 12th pick, Montreal chooses... Tunde Adekele

39 minutes ago, Floyd said:

With Ankou likely going to NFL and Woods/Herdman very ordinary combines, I'm not totally against him as #1... 

But... I think a fair comparable is Brian Jones...  he was last year's combine star and was CFL ready but I wouldn't take him before Singleton, Vaillancourt, Corney...

Bladek had a really good combine imo and is the better/safer pick...  Mulumba has close to Muamba numbers and Ekakitie hasn't had his pro-day yet.

I don't see Jones and Vandervoort as comparable really.  Vandervoort stepped into the OUA at 18 and played at a level Jones never reached, even in a historically bad conference, the AUS.  Jones dominated physical testing.  Vandervoort dominated the football drills as expected.  Both have a high ceiling, Vandervoort is significantly closer to reaching his.

List of WR/SB/TE taken #1 overall since 1985 

1989 Gerald Wilcox TE Ottawa 
1991 Nick Mazzoli WR Hamilton
1996 Don Blair SB Edmonton
2007 Chris Bauman WR Hamilton

Obviously Receiver is not a popular pick @ #1 overall . Not saying it not gonna happen though (on Vandervoot @ #1). 

Edited by M.O.A.B.

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I don't see Jones and Vandervoort as comparable really.  Vandervoort stepped into the OUA at 18 and played at a level Jones never reached, even in a historically bad conference, the AUS.  Jones dominated physical testing.  Vandervoort dominated the football drills as expected.  Both have a high ceiling, Vandervoort is significantly closer to reaching his.

Reports say that Jones dominated everything last year - drills too...   But if you look at the high end receiver picks - the return from players picked after them is pretty consistently higher...

We've wasted enough high picks on receivers.  Pick up Carter or Augustine in the second.