Canadian Politics

5 hours ago, Noeller said:

the key to Twitter is curating your feed properly. Follow the right people, and it's the BEST social media platform by far. Twitter is by far my favourite place to be online because I've filled mine with intelligent people with intelligent things to say. You can say that it's a vacuum and I'm only hearing what I want to hear, but I'm okay with it. 

What some people don’t get is an echo chamber can be filled with similar and differing viewpoints but all involved coming from a well thought out highly informed perspectives that acknowledges each of it’s limitations and biases. It’s called having a good discussion with the intent of wanting to get it right not wanting to be right.

19 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/erin-otoole-leadership-review-caucus-1.6334491

United and serious? The CPC is a mess. And the fact O'Toole feels the party is at a crossroads, while his supposed allies are ready to vote him out, really speaks to how fractured and rudderless it is - and has been for a while.

Personally, I can't see this ending well for O'Toole, who's been embroiled in controversy since the election.

O'Toole is looked upon as being weak & ineffective. He flip flopped on a number of issues like a Carbon Tax which was an untouchable as far as the Conservatives go. During the leadership race, he campaigned as a social conservative. When he won he became the opposite which obviously pissed a lot of conservatives off. He's not well liked or respected & the CPC will never win an election with him. So, the feeling is they might as well punt the guy. 

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

O'Toole is looked upon as being weak & ineffective. 

Yeah, it's almost as if he's a reflection of the CPC in general the last few years.

And in local embarrassing political news: https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/this-is-just-not-acceptable-manitoba-elected-official-facing-backlash-over-video-laughing-at-man-with-apparent-visual-impairment-1.5763953

There is outrage over a video where you can hear an elected official in Manitoba laughing as a man, who appears to live with a visual impairment, struggles to make his way through a freedom convoy rally.

Matthew Prychun is the voice on the video posted to Facebook. He is a councillor in the RM of St. Andrews who participated in the rally outside Winnipeg City Hall over the weekend.

You can hear laughter as the man with a mobility cane tries to make his way through the crowd on the sidewalk.

“Oh boy this guy’s going to have trouble,” said Prychun before laughing.

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

O'Toole is looked upon as being weak & ineffective. He flip flopped on a number of issues like a Carbon Tax which was an untouchable as far as the Conservatives go. During the leadership race, he campaigned as a social conservative. When he won he became the opposite which obviously pissed a lot of conservatives off. He's not well liked or respected & the CPC will never win an election with him. So, the feeling is they might as well punt the guy. 

The Liberals are floundering and O'Toole can't build any momentum, they might as well turf him and get it right and bring in Peter MacKay.

14 minutes ago, JCon said:

There is no one of value left in that party. They've gone hard right to attract the PPC. 

Meh...they have gone in a thousand directions because they are leaderless. Mackay would be a serious threat to the Liberals but he would have to reign in the Albertans.

16 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

The Liberals are floundering and O'Toole can't build any momentum, they might as well turf him and get it right and bring in Peter MacKay.

Uh, why? And why would MacKay want anywhere near that dumpster fire now that's he got two cushy gigs back home in NS?

22 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Meh...they have gone in a thousand directions because they are leaderless. Mackay would be a serious threat to the Liberals but he would have to reign in the Albertans.

MacKay is as useless as they come. He's had several runs at leadership and has done nothing in those races. The "great hope" for moderate conservatism is a dud. 

Now, if you can talk Raitt into coming back, you might not end up with the Pollievre s***hole. The party is a dumpster fire. 

Edited by JCon

1 hour ago, JCon said:

MacKay is as useless as they come. He's had several runs at leadership and has done nothing in those races. The "great hope" for moderate conservatism is a dud. 

Now, if you can talk Raitt into coming back, you might not end up with the Pollievre s***hole. The party is a dumpster fire. 

Poilievre... LOL

Dumpster fire would be a compliment to the CPC right now.

Edited by blue_gold_84

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Uh, why? And why would MacKay want anywhere near that dumpster fire now that's he got two cushy gigs back home in NS?

Mackay has leadership aspirations. Has for a long time. The Reformers in the party have kept him out thus far and may continue to do so, but he is the party's only path to victory as I see it. Unless, Trudeau continues on his downward trajectory and is too stupid to see that he is now damaging the Liberal brand, Mackay and a moderate approach is the CPC's only path to victory. However, if Trudeau keeps gaffing at the rate he is doing so, the electorate may turn on him and elect virtually anyone to get rid of him....but that's a long shot.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

it's not gonna be MacKay.....it'll be someone crazy like Pollievre, that they can use to merge with PPC. They want to drift further right, not left. 

Pollievre is slick. I could see the CPC going with him. I know the Libs will say otherwise, but he is popular in Ontario.

O'Toole was doomed from the start. He somehow convinced himself that he could reconcile oil and water and unsurprisingly failed. PCs have a long and sordid history of assassinating leaders who do not produce immediate results and this is no exception. No matter who is chosen next, he/she will meet the same fate and the party will inevitably split. The intoxicating success of Harper simply delayed the inevitable.

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

fwiw........

I don't see Wall being big with the Ontario crowd. 

You need someone like Raitt, a Bay-Streeter, who can shut up the fringe. 

If the PPC was half competent, they could pull wackos out of the CPC but they aren't. You can't keep them happy unless you shut them up. Sheer was one of them and O'Toole was hopeless.