Canadian Politics

I think it would be very helpful if Trudeau, Singh , the current leader of the Bloc and all the sane premiers and MPs got together and posted a video and audio recording condemning the blockades  and related criminal actions along with a commitment to vigorously prosecute everyone who crosses the legal line. A show of solidarity will both reassure the vast majority of Canadians and deter more lemmings from joining in. 

51 minutes ago, Tracker said:

I think it would be very helpful if Trudeau, Singh , the current leader of the Bloc and all the sane premiers and MPs got together and posted a video and audio recording condemning the blockades  and related criminal actions along with a commitment to vigorously prosecute everyone who crosses the legal line. A show of solidarity will both reassure the vast majority of Canadians and deter more lemmings from joining in. 

A show of solidarity like that would have been REAL nice to have in March of 2020, and continuing forward. It's amazed me just how poorly communication teams have handled this thing.

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

This has been interesting to watch. If you compare this protest to similar protests that have been put on by, let's call them, more left leaning groups. The Right and Left have basically flipped sides....as in, the left want the cops to come in to clear them out, call all the protestors vile names etc and for the most part are brushing aside most if not all of the protestors demands/points etc.
But when it was BLM or pipeline protests the Left was aware that there would be bad apples present and assured the media etc that it was these "agents" or "bad apples" that were responsible for any damage to property or violence etc.

I think it'd be naïve to assume there are no agent provocateurs' present in ottawa right now. I also think it'd be silly to assume that everyone there truly wants the best for Canada and it's people. There's always going to be **** heads when large groups gather. Basically I just find it odd how the two bases (Left and Right) have essentially flipped sides on protestors but don't seem to realize it. They're essentially making the same arguments the other side made just months(or years) ago. But at that time, the other side was just an insane group of (hippies/antifa/rednecks/facists/etc).

Something else I've thought about is IF the nazi symbols being used are in fact via agent provocateurs', what does it say that 1)nazi symbols aren't present in typical Left leaning protests. (Why only when it's the right? I think we all know why...but you'd think the organizers would be prepared for this and address it immediately and with aggression.) And 2) I have yet to see/hear anyone from a leadership group of this protest denounce those symbols or people. Maybe it's happened and I just haven't seen it, I don't watch cable news and I haven't seen anything on any SM accounts. I hope that it's happened there and it just didn't make it's way to SM. And I do not accept "ignore those people" as a solution. I've seen a few protestors say this is what they've been told...and I would not accept that as a solution to nazis.

I would also warn others here to not take videos/tweets/pictures etc as gospel around this thing. They don't tell the whole story. I know of at least a few video clips that on the surface look/sound very bad...but in reality were tongue and cheek rather than hateful. Saying that, I do believe there is a large amount of information showing this protest to be what most in Canada assume it is. 

I think there are two major differences between protests between pipelines, BLM, environmental/indigenous causes and what is happening here is:

1) This is largely a protest fueled by misinformation.

2) This is largely a protest selfish in nature in that the participants are unhappy with the consequences of their choices and don't believe they should have to face consequences.

These are tendencies, so I'm sure there are actors in left-leaning protests that are truly misinformed, just as I'm sure there are some in this protest that are fully vaccinated and understand the impacts on our healthcare system, but genuinely concerned about state power.

It is an interesting observation that the roles are largely reversed however.

1 minute ago, bustamente said:

Many are now feeling emboldened to come out of the woodwork thinking they will be in the majority

I think there are few of these who believe they are or will ever be in the majority- all they want is the power to disrupt the will of those they disagree with and change things to what they see fit. After all, if God is with you, why would you care about democracy, the law or other trivial things?

BTW: The federal government should seize the $4 million they are using as a war chest as it is being used to fuel disorder and civil disobedience. If the yahoos are not having their their keep in Ottawa paid for, they will likely fade away into the obscurity they deserve.

18 minutes ago, Tracker said:

BTW: The federal government should seize the $4 million they are using as a war chest as it is being used to fuel disorder and civil disobedience. If the yahoos are not having their their keep in Ottawa paid for, they will likely fade away into the obscurity they deserve.

Hate to inform you - it is definitely not 4 million anymore(more than double now, of which 1 million is already released) - GoFundMe spurred by trucker protest raises $600K for Indigenous water | News (dailyhive.com)

There's definitely more money than brains amongst the clan supporters.

5 minutes ago, WildPath said:

Hate to inform you - it is definitely not 4 million anymore(more than double now, of which 1 million is already released) - GoFundMe spurred by trucker protest raises $600K for Indigenous water | News (dailyhive.com)

There's definitely more money than brains amongst the clan supporters.

The same fanatical mindsets as the parishioners of fundamentalist churches who keep getting milked and even are urged to take out loans to give more to the church.

Conservative caucus revolt triggers vote on Erin O'Toole's leadership

John Paul Tasker · CBC News · Posted: Jan 31, 2022 8:31 PM ET | Last Updated: 1 hour ago
Conservative Leader Erin O'Toole is facing an internal revolt and some members of his caucus are prepared to trigger a vote on his future as early as Wednesday, sources told CBC News.

MPs opposed to O'Toole's leadership have collected enough signatures — 35 have signed on to the effort so far — to hold a secret ballot to decide his fate, sources said.

A vote by 50 per cent plus one of the 119 sitting Conservative MPs calling on O'Toole to step down would force him to make way for an interim leader immediately.

Conservative post-election report says O'Toole was 'over-managed' during the campaign.  Sources tell CBC News that O'Toole's caucus opponents believe they have the necessary votes, with at least 60 MPs agreeing that he has to go.

1 minute ago, rebusrankin said:

What is scary is that if O Toole is turfed, I really think you see a fairly extreme replacement.

Probably, and that will relegate the PCs to the back benches for another 5 years, and his replacement will experience the same fate. I am surprised that he lasted this long.

I'm really concerned about Canada heading toward a Trump era. Everyone laughs at these Ottawa lunatics, but... Everyone laughed about Trump, too, and said it'd never happen. If we don't take them seriously, these hard right cons are going to get into power and tear apart the country.... 

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I'm really concerned about Canada heading toward a Trump era. Everyone laughs at these Ottawa lunatics, but... Everyone laughed about Trump, too, and said it'd never happen. If we don't take them seriously, these hard right cons are going to get into power and tear apart the country.... 

Our best hope lies in the decent, concerned politicians both presenting a united front against the neo-Nazi movement and vigorously prosecuting any and all who  commit or advocate violence. The American example unfolding now is a frightening demonstration of how badly things can go. All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good people remain silent.

10 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

‘pretending they’ve been oppressed because of a public health emergency’.

Well put.

No matter how anyone rationalizes this, tries to counter it with nonsense, lies and misinformation no one will be able to reconcile this. 

They can always say 'don't trust the mainstream media.'  

36 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Our best hope lies in the decent, concerned politicians both presenting a united front against the neo-Nazi movement and vigorously prosecuting any and all who  commit or advocate violence. The American example unfolding now is a frightening demonstration of how badly things can go. All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good people remain silent.

This is probably what scares me the most. There's already been a bunch of Conservative politicians saddling up besides the nutjobs. They know there is a US vaccine mandate, they know most of the restrictions come at provincial levels.

The US could have stopped Trump, but the spineless politicians saw the following he had and hopped on board the crazy train. Shocked that is happening here too.

Edited by WildPath

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/erin-otoole-leadership-review-caucus-1.6334491

Conservative Leader Erin O'Toole is facing an internal revolt and some members of his caucus are prepared to trigger a vote on his future as early as Wednesday, sources told CBC News.

MPs opposed to O'Toole's leadership have collected enough signatures — 35 so far — to hold a secret ballot to decide his fate, sources said.

The organizers of this effort have brought a letter with the names of the anti-O'Toole MPs to Scott Reid, the Conservative caucus chair. In a memo to all Tory MPs on Monday, Reid said he is prepared to have the vote on Wednesday's national caucus meeting.

A vote by 50 per cent plus one of the 119 sitting Conservative MPs calling on O'Toole to step down would force him to make way for an interim leader immediately.

Sources tell CBC News that O'Toole's caucus opponents believe they have the necessary votes, with at least 60 MPs agreeing that he has to go.

But in a statement Monday night, O'Toole said he has no plans to step down.

"I'm not going anywhere and I'm not turning back," he said in a Facebook post. "Canada needs us to be united and serious."

In his statement, O'Toole said he is ready to square off with the MPs intent on bringing him down.

He said Conservative MPs have a choice between "two roads" in the upcoming caucus vote, one is "angry, negative and extreme," while the other will take the party in a more modern direction with an embrace of "inclusion, optimism, ideas and hope."

O'Toole said the first option is a "dead end" that will see the party become "the NDP of the right," a protest party rather than a viable alternative to the Liberal Party. The second road will ensure the party "better reflects the Canada of 2022.

United and serious? The CPC is a mess. And the fact O'Toole feels the party is at a crossroads, while his supposed allies are ready to vote him out, really speaks to how fractured and rudderless it is - and has been for a while.

Personally, I can't see this ending well for O'Toole, who's been embroiled in controversy since the election.