Canadian Politics

A couple of comments from someone who votes conservative occasionally 

I view this as political suicide. They are ignoring one huge fact. This country is %85 vaxxxed. That %85 will generally be disgusted by the support many PCs are giving to the idiot convoy. They will be pleasing the part of the nation that votes for them no matter what they do. They will be angering the part ( %85 ) of the nation that they need to convince to vote them into power. I can hear the Liberals giggling from here.

I often heard people complain that Harper was to controlling. That everything the party did in his time needed to cross his desk and get his stamp of approval. I bet O'Toole wishes he had that kind of control.

Aside from the afore mentioned political astuteness or lack thereof, I find the reaction of the PC's disgusting. Not only the support of the vocal ones but the deathly silence of the rest.

The PCs challenge is always to appeal to moderate voters. It's the only way they will ever attain power. What's going on now will set their party back to the days of the Reform Party.

Edited by the watcher

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

If you got a few minutes, take a read.

That's hilarious. 

The whole convoy is just a hilarious self-own. They don't understand the basics of how our gov't functions. To say that they were just a bunch of ignorant racists probably does a disservice to the level of ineptitude of this klan. 

Saw a video of from the city councilor for Point Douglas supporting the convoy. One of her main points was that EVERYONE should be able to have a choice when it comes to their body. I'm not sure I understand these people anymore...who doesn't have a choice? Are there literal mobs running around and holding others down to be vaxxed? Am I not aware of military forces holding people in custody until they are vaxxed? What am I missing?

2 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Saw a video of from the city councilor for Point Douglas supporting the convoy. One of her main points was that EVERYONE should be able to have a choice when it comes to their body. I'm not sure I understand these people anymore...who doesn't have a choice? Are there literal mobs running around and holding others down to be vaxxed? Am I not aware of military forces holding people in custody until they are vaxxed? What am I missing?

They not only want the choice for their own body, which they've ALWAYS had, but they also want to impose their choice on everyone else and put everyone else at risk. The worst people.

31 minutes ago, JCon said:

They not only want the choice for their own body, which they've ALWAYS had, but they also want to impose their choice on everyone else and put everyone else at risk. The worst people.

They have latched on to the Pro Choice slogan. There is a couple of minor differences. This 64 year old man will neither get pregnant or have an abortion from close contact.

These mouth breathers misinterpreting The Charter, as though they've got some legal/legislative high ground, are just the most insufferable twunts in all of this. They have absolutely no clue how it functions, which really speaks to the glaring societal issue of anti-intellectualism and how proudly some tout theirs.

38 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

My brother in laws brother is apparently anti vax. He told my sister that Germany was building camps for the unvaxed. I mean really , how stupid are these people. My sister did remind him that her son lives in Germany and would probably have mentioned that to her.

2 minutes ago, the watcher said:

My brother in laws brother is apparently anti vax. He told my sister that Germany was building camps for the unvaxed. I mean really , how stupid are these people. My sister did remind him that her son lives in Germany and would probably have mentioned that to her.

These Conv-idiots are convinced (even though they were there) that there was over a million people in Ottawa this weekend protesting with them. 

1 hour ago, the watcher said:

A couple of comments from someone who votes conservative occasionally 

I view this as political suicide. They are ignoring one huge fact. This country is %85 vaxxxed. That %85 will generally be disgusted by the support many PCs are giving to the idiot convoy. They will be pleasing the part of the nation that votes for them no matter what they do. They will be angering the part ( %85 ) of the nation that they need to convince to vote them into power. I can hear the Liberals giggling from here.

I often heard people complain that Harper was to controlling. That everything the party did in his time needed to cross his desk and get his stamp of approval. I bet O'Toole wishes he had that kind of control.

Aside from the afore mentioned political astuteness or lack thereof, I find the reaction of the PC's disgusting. Not only the support of the vocal ones but the deathly silence of the rest.

The PCs challenge is always to appeal to moderate voters. It's the only way they will ever attain power. What's going on now will set their party back to the days of the Reform Party.

All of this is great insight but to be completely cynical this isn’t about political power, that’s just one tool. It’s about making a buck off stupidity. Being voted in is only icing on the cake. Dumbness in its natural form is in high demand so there’s money to be made. You see it everywhere regardless of political ideological stripe scam after scam after scam packaged as I’m fighting the good fight for us just contribute. 

26 minutes ago, the watcher said:

An old co-worker of mine told me Canada was doing the same thing about a year and a half ago.   He was partially right... there were camps being set-up but not for the purpose of rounding up unvaccinated people.  Why let the truth get in the way of a food conspiracy theory though.

https://www.portageonline.com/local/mmf-camp-covid-ready-for-use

5 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/erin-otoole-leadership-review-caucus-1.6334491

United and serious? The CPC is a mess. And the fact O'Toole feels the party is at a crossroads, while his supposed allies are ready to vote him out, really speaks to how fractured and rudderless it is - and has been for a while.

Personally, I can't see this ending well for O'Toole, who's been embroiled in controversy since the election.

There is and always has been, except for a brief  honeymoon, a power struggle between the (relatively) sane traditional Conservatives and the nutso Reform Party members and it was always destined to end badly. He has been trying to ride two horses headed in two different directions and here he is. He will probably be actually relieved to leave, even if he is driven out. Dignity does have associated costs.

4 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

If you got a few minutes, take a read.

The "broken down" person in Ottawa would be Erin O'Toole, would it not?

As an aside which will make not a whit of difference to foaming-mouth brigade in Ottawa, the president of the Manitoba Trucking Association stated yesterday that some 90% of his members were fully vaccinated and see no problem with the jab. When you consider that the truckers who do not have to cross borders are not required to be tested or vaccinated (except maybe by their employers) that means well over 90% of international truckers are fully vaccinated, A friend who hauls from western Canada to Texas and a bit of the eastern US, and he says that virtually all of his colleagues from other lines see this vaccination and testing as minor inconvenience. Yet the sycophants out there continue to portray the protesters as representing most, if not all truckers. 

Incidentally, the morons blocking ports of entry are beginning to draw the ire of sane truckers, whose income depends on their getting their loads to the recipients on time. If this goes on much longer, one of the blockers is going to sustain a brain injury, but it will be hard to tell the effect on them.

Edited by Tracker

They are supposedly doing this to make a point about how essential they are in the supply chain.

But - how long can the average trucker afford to not work - due to some of their co-workers blocking routes? 

I'd imagine they are not overflowing with disposable income.

Maybe they could ask Tamara Lich for some #gofundme support... 

The irony of these "protestors" claiming the vaccine mandates would disrupt the supply chain to them now blocking essential infrastructure (highways at land border crossings) that is actually disrupting the supply chain.

There isn't a way to adequately convey the absolute idiocy of this entire situation. Which is to say nothing about law enforcement using the kid gloves approach in dealing with these petulant assholes.

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

But - how long can the average trucker afford to not work - due to some of their co-workers blocking routes? 

By what was mentioned in that twitter stream (that was hilarious BTW)- not long if not already hit. Some are already hoping for that gofundme $$ to get home, that they're never gonna see.

16 minutes ago, itchy said:

By what was mentioned in that twitter stream (that was hilarious BTW)- not long if not already hit. Some are already hoping for that gofundme $$ to get home, that they're never gonna see.

Yup that and swinging their words wildly at the air at nothing with no logical purpose would tire anyone out. Sad really. Or funny. It’s like that crazy creepy looking guy at every corner of a major city yelling his drivel into a megaphone while their ‘associate’ hands out pamphlets.

6 minutes ago, itchy said:

My understanding is, unless you're doing long haul into the US on a consistent basis, the $$ are not that great. 

6 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Twitter is by and large accurately described as “a megaphone for morons”, but every once in a while a nugget comes up. This thread was a gold mine. 

the key to Twitter is curating your feed properly. Follow the right people, and it's the BEST social media platform by far. Twitter is by far my favourite place to be online because I've filled mine with intelligent people with intelligent things to say. You can say that it's a vacuum and I'm only hearing what I want to hear, but I'm okay with it. 

12 minutes ago, Noeller said:

the key to Twitter is curating your feed properly. Follow the right people, and it's the BEST social media platform by far. Twitter is by far my favourite place to be online because I've filled mine with intelligent people with intelligent things to say. You can say that it's a vacuum and I'm only hearing what I want to hear, but I'm okay with it. 

Twitter is so expansive that there is still plenty of good stuff out there for sure. But boy are there swaths of idiots there too. And yes there is value in drowning out the noise as you say, and it can be very productive. I try not to tune out everything I don’t agree with just so I can at least see where “the other side” is leaning and will judge as best I can armed with multiple viewpoints. But that takes nothing away from your “vacuum” approach as you put it, which is totally fine and probably less stress-inducing. Equal value in your approach, certainly.