Canadian Politics

4 minutes ago, Tracker said:

The PCs, both provincial and federal  are falling all over each other to look incompetent. As with the GOP Trumpers in the US, they seem to have lost the need to look like they care what they look like or if they repeatedly and openly contradict themselves or each other. Nothing short of bizarre.

Kind of crazy that Ford seems to be a voice of reason ( sometimes ) in all of this.

2 hours ago, Wideleft said:

I cannot trust this decision when the March 15 date is arbitrary.  Shouldn't the announcement also provide an avenue for delay if hospitalization numbers aren't reduced to a specific number in terms of 7-day averages?

Yes, it's one of the 1st  things I noticed after 2 years of " we will have to watch the numbers as time goes by. before we make that decision " 

Now its set in stone.

NSFW: Pretty interesting video surfacing from Pat King, one of the lead organizers of the occupation. He compares indigenous protests to "what would happen if" yellow vests decided to protest and block infrastructure and trade. He tries to incite violence against indigenous protestors and warns about shelves being bare because of their protests. I can't think of a strong enough superlative to show my disdain for this.

On 2022-02-03 at 4:18 AM, WildPath said:

You used to be a staunch Conservative voter, correct? Would you return to the party if they had the right leader? Genuinely curious.

I feel like any leader would have an incredibly difficult job uniting both elements of the party. They've fed their followers BS for years (see climate change) and they are dealing with the fall-out of a fairly divided group of voters. Like Noeller, it scares the hell out of me that they chose an interim leader who is an all-out convoy-supporting MAGA clown and they just might come to power somehow (Ontario has elected 2 Ford governments, we chose Pallister twice), but I see uniting the voters on the right as an increasingly difficult task.

No, probably not as there are too many social conservatives & Reformers still living in the 90's in that party. They also support the occupatiosn going on right now which I believe will be their fatal mistake.

I don't know where I'll park my vote. My 2 sons can't figure out what's happened to me as they are right wing Conservatives. I told them people change with age & experience. I'm a senior now. I'm not 35 when I was a piss full of vinegar Reformer. Today, I see cuts to healthcare. I see a moronic AB Premier who picvks fights with everyone & hasn't come through on one election promise. Dropping masking restrictions is just crazy. I can't stand Kenney. I thought O'Toole was a lying fool. (Hey, that rhymes). I'll never go back to the Conservative I was in 1993. 

11 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

No, probably not as there are too many social conservatives & Reformers still living in the 90's in that party. They also support the occupatiosn going on right now which I believe will be their fatal mistake.

I don't know where I'll park my vote. My 2 sons can't figure out what's happened to me as they are right wing Conservatives. I told them people change with age & experience. I'm a senior now. I'm not 35 when I was a piss full of vinegar Reformer. Today, I see cuts to healthcare. I see a moronic AB Premier who picvks fights with everyone & hasn't come through on one election promise. Dropping masking restrictions is just crazy. I can't stand Kenney. I thought O'Toole was a lying fool. (Hey, that rhymes). I'll never go back to the Conservative I was in 1993. 

You sound a lot like what one of the sane Republicans in the US said a few years ago: "I didn't leave the party, it left me".

14 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Thanks for sharing.

3 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

@SpeedFlex27, I wanted to say thanks for sharing. I'm somebody who has usually voted Conservative and I feel like you or as @Trackersaid, perhaps the party left me.

I'm not sure if I can continue to vote, at this time - in anything other than municipal elections.  If it's Trudeau vs. Polliviere, there's no way I can vote for either of them. 

On 2022-02-11 at 11:48 AM, the watcher said:

One more point for every level of government.  Precedence is being set here. The next time indigenous,  LGBQT, the gun lobby , the anti gun lobby or any other group with a bone to pick , just or not ,have  an issue,  they have a template on how to get attention. . Let's see if Mr Goertzen is so understanding then.

He won't be understanding at all.  This is what's really at the heart of these protests. They are not about vaccines, that's just a smoke screen.  These guys are afraid of their own priveleges being eroded, due to some of the groups you mentioned asserting themselves. Why else are the police playing nice? 

35 minutes ago, WildPath said:

Oh, Winnipeg police aren't always playing nice. It depends on the side you are on and the colour of your skin.

Detainment of Indigenous demonstrator causes outrage and disgust (citynews.ca)

LMAO that they arrested them due to public intoxication.  I guess there's no drinking in any of the convoys...

7 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Looks like this guy had a wee bit of sauce...

Sad and I don’t say that in a mocking way.

Truly sad to see how you can trace him from birth to this exact moment and what has happened in his life. Vicious cycle of how certain human beings develop and how they develop others thru the life cycle.

3 hours ago, Mark H. said:

He won't be understanding at all.  This is what's really at the heart of these protests. They are not about vaccines, that's just a smoke screen.  These guys are afraid of their own priveleges being eroded, due to some of the groups you mentioned asserting themselves. Why else are the police playing nice? 

When you have been privileged equality feels like oppression.