Around The League Off Season Discussion

1 minute ago, tracker said:

I'm a Kevin Glenn fan- he ought to change his name to Rodney Dangerfield. However, even in his prime, he could not steer that gong show fermenting in Regina to a winning season. He will probably be blamed for the whole mess and get canned before Labour Day.

That would be great!

(Though, I would feel bad for Glenn)

3 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Said every Quarterback that played football :-)

well, I was gonna say....next to Calvillo, has there ever been a QB with as quick a release as Glenn in this league? Compared to most others, he doesn't need a whole lotta time. Now Frito...that's a guy who needs a lot of protection to be effective.

Does it really matter how fast a release you have if the opposition is pouring into the backfield through a leaky o line....You're gonna get nailed by the better rushers in this league... We know that only too well..Glenn will be hopping on his pony with the upfront protection he's going to have...Riders had and still have a very bad o line....Good luck Kevin getting the ball to your so-called ace receivers...At least Durant posed a running threat....Glenn...not so much

Edited by Stickem

On ‎23‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 4:23 PM, JCon said:

This assumes he cannot still pull off a trade or has someone ready to step in. Maybe he thinks he has a starter but wants some insurance?

You're going to pay Glenn a lot less money to hold a clipboard than Durant.

Exactly right. same reason you guys brought him in last year

1 minute ago, JCon said:

We brought him in as insurance. I still think Jones sees him as insurance for his "Plan A". Time will tell.

Yeah the difference is that we already had a starter and we traded for half a season of Glenn as a backup.  The Riders have no starter at the moment and are dishing out a signing bonus and more for Glenn.  Maybe Glenn will end up being insurance.  Maybe not.  But it's not the same.

I think Glenn is better than about 95 % of the quarterbacks that have played in the CFL over the last fifteen years.

and I can back that up.

:lol:

But in all seriousness folks, 480000  yards passing is nothing to sneeze at. People would think differently about Glenn if not for the collision that wrecked our Grey Cup win.

Let's hope he doesn't blow into town and beat the bombers a couple times this season, with some bombs to Carter. Re Carter, there's no shortage of people with strong personalities that have succeeded in football. Duane Thomas anybody?

Edited by Mark F
had to add some important thoughts related to the subject matter

7 minutes ago, Mark F said:

I think Glenn is better than about 95 % of the quarterbacks that have played in the CFL over the last fifteen years.

and I can back that up.

But in all seriousness folks, 480000  yards passing is nothing to sneeze at. People would think differently if not for the collision that wrecked our Grey Cup win.

i dont think you can say he has not had a good career, but he is a shadow of his 2007-2010 self.  37 year old Kevin Glenn is 27 year old  Max Hall......

11 minutes ago, Mark F said:

and I can back that up.

But in all seriousness folks, 480000  yards passing is nothing to sneeze at. People would think differently about Glenn if not for the collision that wrecked our Grey Cup win.

Let's hope he doesn't blow into town and beat the bombers a couple times this season, with some bombs to Carter. Re Carter, there's no shortage of people with strong personalities that have succeeded in football.

Kevin's got to be pleased that despite all his years in the league, he doesn't have to worry about a Grey Cup ring throwing off his motion.

3 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

both holley and collins put up pretty average numbers considering who they had throwing them the ball, i expect them to be alot lower #s with a worse QB and then bulk of the throws going to Carter/Roosevelt,  assuming Roosevelt is still with the team, and/or healthy and carter isnt suspended

I think Ricky Collins can be a real good CFL receiver but that Rider offense is going to struggle.

5 hours ago, Kluchk said:

Well I guess I disagree. Bagg sure, he's meh, however, I think you underestimate Holley and Collins. They are great receivers who both had decent 1st years with the Riders.

I think you guys got a little too enamored by one or two games by these guys and put the blinders on in regards to the vast majority of games where they were invisible. That is bound to happen when a team has such a small sample size of good individual performances to choose from. Fans start inflating the average to give themselves hope. Trust an unbiased observer...your team looks awful so far.

Edited by gcn11

7 hours ago, Zontar said:

Many Rider fans are trying to equate Glenn and Durant in terms of effectiveness. Knowledgeable fans and fans who don't have their heads up Chris Jones's ass know this notion is laughable.

Knowledgeable fans with half a clue realize Glenn wasn't brought in to be our future. He is the transition guy while we move to the young qb's.  A job that was offered to Durant. But carry on

6 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

the transition to who? the combined 60 passes between your current QBs or someone elses back up

I don't know. I still feel a move is coming. If not, then we see the youngsters in conjunction with Glenn until Franklin is free agent. Either way, I have no problem with Glenn starting the season but don't want to see him by the end of year.

3 hours ago, Atomic said:

Yeah the difference is that we already had a starter and we traded for half a season of Glenn as a backup.  The Riders have no starter at the moment and are dishing out a signing bonus and more for Glenn.  Maybe Glenn will end up being insurance.  Maybe not.  But it's not the same.

Are you kidding me or kidding yourself about Nichols?  I was posting here that the teams turn around was directly related to how Nichols played once he got in, but lets not pretend everyone was sold on Nichols from the start when he went in. Glenn was with you guys in case Nichols wasn't good enough down the stretch and you know it. Once Nichols got over the hump sorta speak, you guys moved on. At this point today I believe Nichols has proven he doesn't need a vet behind him like Glenn. The Riders are doing very close to the same thing, trying someone young with Glenn in the wings to help if needed

7 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

That contract tells you Glenn is the starter.  No reason to hand him a large bonus and base salary to mentor.

80 k upfront is a big signing bonus?  I guess its a bit but doesn't handicap the team if he doesn't play. A far better deal than the 225k DD was looking for and got from Montreal

6 hours ago, Zontar said:

Durant is nowhere close to the level Glenn is now. Durant was scapegoated for a 5 win season and Jones and his fans are using a bad season as a justification despite injuries being the number one excuse prior to the contract standoff.

Glenn stopped being a viable starting QB two years ago. But when one has invested so much mental energy in defending Jones that reality has to be ignored.

DD was scapegoated into nothing, he wanted to be a starter and the Riders didn't want to go that direction. The best part of this post is DD is now in the East. Your 500k qb that play more than 5 games in a row without being hurt isn't damaged? Durant and the Allouettes will be pushing for a playoff spot, I really hope it comes at the Ticats expense.

Glenn was with you guys in case Nichols wasn't good enough down the stretch and you know it.

No, Glenn was signed to be that veteran presence that every team needs behind the starting QB. 

Your team's plan..to sign that veteran presence, only makes sense if you get a starter. 

Transition? Sounds like a built-in reach to me. You guys had a starter, but talked yourselves into believing Jones knew what he was doing. Jones just didn't want Durant. Otherwise he would have made it work. You can't tell me Durant wouldnt have done everything to make it work.

From then on, it's been spin, spin spin. Kinda like a rinse cycle.

2 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

You can't tell me Durant wouldnt have done everything to make it work.

Not arguing, serious question. Wanting 200k upfront wouldn't have made it hard to sit DD?  Durant was not doing everything to make it work, he wanted his money. He could have made 400k here, but would have had to start 18 games to get it. He knew IMHO that they wanted to look at the kids or a trade was coming, that's why he never budged off the upfront money. He views himself as a 18 game starter, and I believe year one wasn't the issue in the contract, but at the same time DD wanted guaranteed money in case he did get hurt.    Years 2 and 3 would have saw him getting phased out and he knew it. I wish him all the best but don't regret the trade for one second. Its time to see what we got for the future.