Around The League Off Season Discussion

8 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Not arguing, serious question. Wanting 200k upfront wouldn't have made it hard to sit DD?  Durant was not doing everything to make it work, he wanted his money. He could have made 400k here, but would have had to start 18 games to get it. He knew IMHO that they wanted to look at the kids or a trade was coming, that's why he never budged off the upfront money. He views himself as a 18 game starter, and I believe year one wasn't the issue in the contract, but at the same time DD wanted guaranteed money in case he did get hurt.    Years 2 and 3 would have saw him getting phased out and he knew it. I wish him all the best but don't regret the trade for one second. Its time to see what we got for the future.

no. In theory if the base was more than 200K he would have made that $200K (plus the other $150K) without throwing a snap all season,  as long as he was with the team. the only thing is he couldn't reach any performance incentives in that scenario.  

Everybody in the CFL knows the Riders covet Franklin...1year away. Pay a starter until you can make a move on Franklin. 

Either make a move on Franklin..with a very costly trade, should Hervey decide to go that way, or wait until free agency. There is still no certainty that you will be the only team vying for his services.

But hey, if you've bought into Jones' version of how things went down, over a guy who's been with the team for years, then be happy, and follow Jones dreams. They may be in technicolor.

3 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

But hey, if you've bought into Jones' version of how things went down, over a guy who's been with the team for years, then be happy, and follow Jones dreams. They may be in technicolor.

Care to elaborate? How do you think it went down?

11 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

no. In theory if the base was more than 200K he would have made that $200K (plus the other $150K) without throwing a snap all season,  as long as he was with the team. the only thing is he couldn't reach any performance incentives in that scenario.  

I'm looking at year 2 and 3 in the case of DD. I believe that's where it went south, not wanting to pay DD 300 to be a backup. If they 6 game him or cut him there is already a 200k cap hit on the books. Don't think year one money wise was a big issue. Obviously only my opinion which means f-all in the grand scheme of things

2016:

Jones: hey darian, due to Brendans horrible sms spending,  we need you to take a bit of a pay cut this season so we can get under and try to field a competitive team for you.  Once were in good shape again we'll reimburse you.

DD: ok

2017:

DD: ok you got back to a good place with the cap, we dont even need to reimburse what i gave up, but I'd like X amount upfront

Jones: nah

6 minutes ago, Ripper said:

3 minutes ago, Ripper said:

I'm looking at year 2 and 3 in the case of DD. I believe that's where it went south, not wanting to pay DD 300 to be a backup. If they 6 game him or cut him there is already a 200k cap hit on the books. Don't think year one money wise was a big issue. Obviously only my opinion which means f-all in the grand scheme of things

and thats where Jones screwed the pooch imo.  DD is NOT a back up, so you pay him for the year, cut him next year if you have to once you acquire franklin,  now you legitimately have no starter, just hope and prayer Glenn doesnt see the field

6 minutes ago, Ripper said:

How the hell do I know how it went down? How does anybody?

But I will say this, I would tend to believe a player who's played through all kinds of turmoil for his team, over an egotist who really doesn't care who his players are...as long as he gets his way.

2 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

2016:

Jones: hey darian, due to Brendans horrible sms spending,  we need you to take a bit of a pay cut this season so we can get under and try to field a competitive team for you.  Once were in good shape again we'll reimburse you.

DD: ok

2017:

DD: ok you got back to a good place with the cap, we dont even need to reimburse what i gave up, but I'd like X amount upfront

Jones: nah

I guess the whether or not DD got back to forum was up for debate in Jones's eyes? His age and other things probably too. Jones has no history with DD before last year. Not taking side one way or the other but Jones has no loyalty to Durant. Personally I would have gave DD what he wanted and brought him back and just cut him when I needed too, but the upfront money had to be less than it was.

2 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

How the hell do I know how it went down? How does anybody?

But I will say this, I would tend to believe a player who's played through all kinds of turmoil for his team, over an egotist who really doesn't care who his players are...as long as he gets his way.

But yet you are a expert of me buying into Jones's version of how things went down when you admit you have no idea what the truth is. Ok then. As you were..

1 minute ago, Ripper said:

I guess the whether or not DD got back to forum was up for debate in Jones's eyes? His age and other things probably too. Jones has no history with DD before last year. Not taking side one way or the other but Jones has no loyalty to Durant. Personally I would have gave DD what he wanted and brought him back and just cut him when I needed too, but the upfront money had to be less than it was.

I guess that's where people seem to draw the line in the sand. I honestly think if your offering a base of more that upfront,  then it ultimately will be paid out eventually,  so i dont see it as a SMS issue.  

I do wonder if Jones would have met that price though before he opened his mouth and threw DD under the bus.  Obviously that was a big thing to DD and may have destroyed any possibility for any upfront, as the threat of a "Moe Price" happening again becomes more likely

1 hour ago, Ripper said:

Are you kidding me or kidding yourself about Nichols?  I was posting here that the teams turn around was directly related to how Nichols played once he got in, but lets not pretend everyone was sold on Nichols from the start when he went in. Glenn was with you guys in case Nichols wasn't good enough down the stretch and you know it. Once Nichols got over the hump sorta speak, you guys moved on. At this point today I believe Nichols has proven he doesn't need a vet behind him like Glenn. The Riders are doing very close to the same thing, trying someone young with Glenn in the wings to help if needed

Glenn was there in case Nichols got hurt, not in case of poor play.  You think O'Shea was going to pull two QBs for poor play in one season?  Come on.  Rider punk *****

16 minutes ago, Ripper said:

But yet you are a expert of me buying into Jones's version of how things went down when you admit you have no idea what the truth is. Ok then. As you were..

Hey, feel how you want to feel. I never told you otherwise. But, if you want to be a smart ass about it, I can see you've already been swayed. It seems you've anointed yourself as the expert. As a Rider fan tends to do...

My wording still stands..if you'd rather believe Jones, after 1 year, over Durant, it doesn't bother me in the least.

9 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Glenn was there in case Nichols got hurt, not in case of poor play.  You think O'Shea was going to pull two QBs for poor play in one season?  Come on.  Rider punk *****

You pull as many as you have to. Its about trying to win and save your job if you are the coach

32 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I guess that's where people seem to draw the line in the sand. I honestly think if your offering a base of more that upfront,  then it ultimately will be paid out eventually,  so i dont see it as a SMS issue.  

I do wonder if Jones would have met that price though before he opened his mouth and threw DD under the bus.  Obviously that was a big thing to DD and may have destroyed any possibility for any upfront, as the threat of a "Moe Price" happening again becomes more likely

Jones had no plans of DD being here for the 3 years, so the Riders didn't want to be on the hook for the money when they cut or traded DD. Normally however I totally agree with you on the bonus. Its a Taman move, upfront money for a cheaper annual salary, except it makes it hard to get rid of or trade the player. Picard, Dressler, Chick.

2 hours ago, Ripper said:

I don't know. I still feel a move is coming. If not, then we see the youngsters in conjunction with Glenn until Franklin is free agent. Either way, I have no problem with Glenn starting the season but don't want to see him by the end of year.

I hate to break it to you but those youngsters stand no chance of succeeding without a decent O-line in front of them, no matter the receivers.  We hoped for a miracle child for many a decade as well but sadly none were to be found, until one day by providence a decent O-line came to be and they henceforth gave birth to a decent QB right before our very eyes.  God is great!

Oh how I would love to see Hervey trade away Franklin's rights, right before he's to become a free agent, to another team other than the Riders just out of spite for Jones. I can't see Hervey doing any favours for Jones after everything that went down when Jones and the whole coaching staff left.

Franklin's rights next year could give the Eskimos at least a 4th round draft pick and a conditional 2nd, but I would think it would be a conditional 1st rather than 2nd. 

4 hours ago, Ripper said:

Knowledgeable fans with half a clue realize Glenn wasn't brought in to be our future. He is the transition guy while we move to the young qb's.  A job that was offered to Durant. But carry on

Future ? How about the present ? If Jones cant win with anybody, which is a distinct possibility, the house of cards rests on Glenn's shoulders and you know how that's going to end.

At least with Durant you had far more of a safety net because he's a genuine starting QB. Glenn isnt.

Seriously, who purposely weakens their insurance policy with so much risk involved ?

It's exactly what Jones did. All over spite and resentment over the influence Durant had over the team. Jones deserves everything he gets.

Edited by Zontar

I'm in pieces...bits and pieces

Of no particular relevance...but Tom Clements is no longer employed by the Green Bay Packers after 11 years..

I know everybody in Regina is excited about the Duron Carter signing, after 8 teams by-passed him, but wouldn't they feel more comfortable in their shoes, if they passed over that 'tude?

Or do they feel the need to do that risk?

According to Scott Mitchell, Duron Carter will sign a 1 year deal to build up his resumé...for another look down south in the CFL. 
BUT, 
that's not what Carter was blabbing to the Regina Leader-Post. 

Quote - "“In my opinion, people should definitely be buying a Carter jersey,’’ he said with a chuckle. “I was cut in Montreal, but I would have told you that about Montreal last year. As of right now I would love to be in Saskatchewan and currently see myself being there as long as possible.’’  - 

At least Brandon Bridge welcomes "the worst teammate. Ever": - Time to go to work bruh. Welcome. @DC_CHILLIN_8

In terms of getting the job done - by signing one's own free agents, nobody can touch the Calgary Stampeders - 10 returnees and 1 release to the NFL. 
Still to sign - Derek Dennis OL, Dan Federkeil OL, Bakari Grant rec., Micah Johnson DL, and Marquay McDaniel rec. total unsigned - 15

BC has extended 6 players. Released 3 to NFL - Notables to sign - Brian Burnham rec., Mic'hael Brooks DL, Marco Iannuzzi rec., Bo Lokombo LB, Terrell Sinkfield rec., Ronnie Yell DB. Unsigned - 15

The Bombers have 7 extended players and 1 released. Notables left - Khalil Bass, Tony Burnett LBs, Euclid Cummings DL, Clarence Denmark, Tori Gurley recs., Quincy McDuffie KR,WR. - unsigned - 13

Ottawa has extended 6 players and released 4. Notables - J'Michael Deane OL, Greg Ellingson rec., Motown Hopkins DL, Ernest Jackson rec., Abdul Kenneh, DB, Chris Williams rec. - still unsigned - 22

*Calgary is on the clock to re-sign Derek Dennis. Dennis, didn't get signed down south, and now he is up for grabs in the CFL.
"If there’s not enough cash to go around, the Stampeders might have to choose between re-signing Dennis and getting soon-to-be 33-year-old slotback Marquay McDaniel’s name on a new contract, especially with all-star defensive tackle Micah Johnson also slated to hit free agency." - Scott Mitchell.

CFL News
Edmonton Eskimos announce signing of quarterback Brett Smith edmontonjournal.com/sports/footbal… #CFL #Esks via @sunmoddejonge

-.@Dave_CHED - likelihood of Franklin being traded not as strong as him being Mike Reilly's back up for 2017 - @CFLFantasyFTB #CFL #Esks

CFL News
That's a name, #Riders WR Armanti Edwards, that's intriguing. Type of WR that Ed Hervey could go for (low salary cap #). - @Dave_CHED #CFL
-I'd think a first round pick (from #Riders) would have to come back to #Esks (in a Franklin trade) - @Dave_CHED #CFL via @CFLFantasyFTB

-Former #Bombers olinemen Glen January back in town interviewing for the vacant oline coaching position. #EarlyFavourite #cfl

5 hours ago, Zontar said:

Future ? How about the present ? If Jones cant win with anybody, which is a distinct possibility, the house of cards rests on Glenn's shoulders and you know how that's going to end.

At least with Durant you had far more of a safety net because he's a genuine starting QB. Glenn isnt.

Seriously, who purposely weakens their insurance policy with so much risk involved ?

It's exactly what Jones did. All over spite and resentment over the influence Durant had over the team. Jones deserves everything he gets.

Purposely is not true. DD was offered a deal and chose to move on. Jones would have liked to have had DD as the backup here.  I am also not KG biggest fan, he is what he is.  I like the move of bringing in Glenn in light of DD not staying. It was going to have to be him or Ray or Lulay anyway. 

Hubris thy name is Chris Jones. I LOVE IT!! The guy is as big a car wreck as Mike Kelly. Get the popcorn and watch as Chris Jones stands on the roof with a fiddle as the Riders burn below him.

Every time I think that Jones couldn't make any less sense with his roster moves, he just comes right out and sets the bar of stupidity even higher.

Quarterback....we don't need no steenking quarterback.

Edited by gcn11

7 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

-Former #Bombers olinemen Glen January back in town interviewing for the vacant oline coaching position. #EarlyFavourite #cfl

This is for the Bombers O-line job?... interesting... I love Glenn January and feel he could possibly be a good coach one day, but I wonder if he is ready for that position yet... would have been nice if he spent a few years under the tutelage of Bob Wylie...

Re: the Durant situation... I believe it was reported that in the 2016 off-season, both Dressler and Chick were offered take-it-or-leave-it, low-ball offers from Jones (I don't care to look up this info :D)... I have no reason to believe the Durant "negotiation" went any differently...