Bomber offense

Old Bomber Fan

Now before anyone gets too excited let me first congratulate the Bombers for winning yet again.

Now let me make an observation that I believe is held by many others. The bomber offense has gotten away from the long throw and now reverted back to Lapo's short game. I believe this game we threw the ball downfield (I'm saying more than 10 yards) once! That resulted in an 82 yard touchdown. The rest were these short 3-5 yard passes that resulted in numerous 2 and outs. That put the pressure on the defense who once again came up big but were hurting in the second half where Sask reeled off 11 straight points and overcame a 19-0 deficit. We won the game only because the Sask kicker could not kick a field goal or a convert and our kicker was nearly perfect. Yes we can rely on Medlock and yes we can rely on the defense but for how long.

A word to Lapo... ditch the short game nonsense and at least test the opposition downfield! Your QB in the post game so said as much..... luckily we had Medlock because without him we would not have won that game. Shake your head and get back to what got you on this streak. Willy can throw the short stuff, it was Nichol's ability to throw downfield that started this run.

And finally what happened to Denmark. Here was a guy who came in when the going was tough, put up great numbers in two games back to back to lead the Bombers and all of a sudden he is missing in action. I repeat, everything thrown his way that is catchable, he catches what is wrong with this picture of him getting what 2 throws all game?????

The long throw only happens once or twice a game and that's been the case this entire win streak. The bombers are and have been now for 5 games plus a dink and dunk O who goes deep only once or twice a game. Just that a few games ago those deep balls were being completed. Today our 1 td was a 1 play 80 yard TD. Bombers tend to drive the field killing time... little bit of run with some 8 to 10 yard throws. The deep ball is rare and has been rare for 5 plus games 

Edited by Goalie

I would disagree with you in that if you go back to the first 3 games of this winning streak they were throwing the ball downfield more than once or twice a game and while they did not complete them all, they did stretch the defense and that is the point imo. Throwing it once or twice doesn't really do it and today I don't think the rinkie dink did a lot to run the clock until late in the 4th quarter when Harris started running with a vengeance. I believe the time of possession in the first half, certainly the first quarter was 2-1 for Sask. The Bombers did close the gap but if we think we will win many more, save the Banjo bowl with this type of offense I'm afraid we will be sorely disappointed.

Like I said before, some fans are only satisfied if we win by scoring 40 plus points a game and hold the opposition to under 10...if we only win by a field goal they will pick apart the deficiences (and there are always those) and then when we don't win the Grey Cup they will say, "See, I told you guys so!"

Whatever...I know this team needs improving and so do the coaches and players, but's let's enjoy this VERY rare LDC win!,

You listened to Nichols comments but failed to mention that he also said that he's learned not to force the ball into dangerous spaces as he acknowledged he was doing last year which lead to multiple interceptions every game.

As for Clarence he contributed by making a few clutch grabs at key times, can't expect 10 balls and 200 yards every game.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

26 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

You listened to Nichols comments but failed to mention that he also said that he's learned not to force the ball into dangerous spaces as he acknowledged he was doing last year which lead to multiple interceptions every game.

As for Clarence he contributed by making a few clutch grabs at key times, can't expect 10 balls and 200 yards every game.

Said that, but forced up atleast 2 passes into coverage he should not have. 

Its not just stretching the field. We had big runs from harris all day and just stopped running for long periods of time. Some awful play calls. That shot gun draw in the red zone when sask was stacking the line for instance. 

Denmark didnt get all the looks. Not gonna have 2 150 yard receivers in one game. 

had the 2 dropped balls in the endzone been caught, and, harris stayed in bounds in the 4th quarter... this was a much bigger win for us. but naturally, people will attempt to find negatives in a win.

we've won 5 in a row ... and closed out taylorfields labour day history with a Bomber win. How about turning that frown upside down??

Edited by White Out

Five game winning streak. First win in Edmonton in ten years. First win in Regina in twelve years. We can't keep winning like this? We have the second longest win streak in the league right now next to Calgary, the number one team. Everyone wants the flash of Reilly or Collaros, but what does it matter if we're winning? I'm in Regina and still can't stop smiling. Came on here expecting to see people celebrating and instead the first two threads I read are doom and gloom. I was here the last time we won, and I was also here for every loss in between. There is no downplaying this win. It is huge. 

I don't believe stating an opinion where the kicker gets 75% of the teams points and some similar percentage the previous game, by the way when we stopped throwing deep, is gloom and doom. Merely saying yes the win is great but if this is the formula you think will continue to win games I think you will be disappointed. Does that mean I don't want them to win or that I am not a fan, no it simply is looking at history and logic, at least in my humble opinion. I would love to be wrong and yes we have a 5 game winning streak but all five games have not been won by the kicker. If my memory serves me correctly the first 2 were blow outs in the sense all three phases played lights out. Not so much the past 2 games even though we got over 300 yds of offense. Very ineffective in the red zone, and 1 TD. That is not a winning performance in most instances but I do respect your opinions.

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Said that, but forced up atleast 2 passes into coverage he should not have. 

Its not just stretching the field. We had big runs from harris all day and just stopped running for long periods of time. Some awful play calls. That shot gun draw in the red zone when sask was stacking the line for instance. 

Denmark didnt get all the looks. Not gonna have 2 150 yard receivers in one game. 

I am beginning to think you just don't know as much as you think you do...you just want to pick apart everything whether it is fact or not.

I think we ABSOLUTELY need to be better in the red zone (13 FGs in 2 games is not a very healthy stat), but I don't think it really comes down to playcalling for the most part, but execution. They definitely went deep way more than the TD pass -- a few mid-level completions, a few misses for sure (including in the end zone), and a nice grab by Sheppard on a long throw that he was just out of bounds on.

Really, though, we should've scored more when we were close, and it really does come down to execution for me. Sheppard had a catchable drop in the end zone, Dressler had his hands on the ball twice in the end zone, and Harris barely stepped out of bounds on the 10 rather than getting us 1st and goal from the 3. That's just the obvious misses when in scoring range.

I've been debating on Twitter and with my friend via text post-game about what can fix the red zone issues. Is it players? Will Adams and Smith make things better? Would Willy be a better red zone QB than Nichols? In general, I do think that the current roster can right the ship -- Nichols' throws were very accurate all game -- and make the adjustments and change their red zone fortune, since they were very good at taking advantage of good field position in the Edmonton and Hamilton wins.