Odds and Sods - Game 6 - Bombers at Edmonton

Something happening here...what it is ain't exactly clear.....

Bombers use Harris running and 40 heave to Dressler.....

....to set up short Harris TD on opening drive........

KO single makes it 8-0......

Nichols getting lots of time......

Quicker tempo on O.....

Far better first down production, keeps drives going....

First 4 possessions.....TD and 3 FG and a ton of TOP.....

Bombers getting decent pressure with 4 man rush....

Reilly not looking comfortable, in the pocket.....

R. Fredrick looking very good on the corner....

Edmonton has no kick return game, at all......

Harris has 100 yds rushing in that half.....

In fact, Blue have 320 yds of O at the half .....

17-3....but left some points on the field

Esks D looking as bad as advertised......

Bombers starting to get conservative on O.....

Harris not seeing the rock, in 3rd quarter...

Tick tack PI on Bruce Johnson sets up Esks TD

Now 20-10.....Blue need a big drive

..and Adams caps 70 yd drive with 20 yd TD catch....

Solid game from Fogg in the backfield

Bomber interior OL has best game of year.....

...sparking Andrew Harris breakout...130 yds....

Loffler knocks ball away from Bowman in red zone

Some missed tackles on D....

...as Moes pull to within 9 points.....

But Fredrick caps off his impressive debut.....

...with clutch INT and 45 yd return.....

With Dressler and McDuffie both out...

Darvin Adams steps up with his most engaged game, yet....

...and over 100 yds receiving

Medlock 5 for 5....

OL Bond: massive human being......

3 imports on OL.....long overdue.......

Esks TD with handful of seconds left makes it 30-23

...but Blue recover onside kick........

Unsung heroes: Bomber OL and defensive backfield...

Last time the Bombers won in Edmonton....Milt Miracle..

Last time the Bombers scored 30 points on O

......about the last time, I ran out of gin.......

Nice analysis.

Feels great...

Bond at Guard. Kohlert at SB. Loffler at S.  Corney in rotation.  Love it.

Great seeing Harris run outside.  And just run.

Hardrick is upgrade at tackle but needs some work.

Frederick proved why he was on the PR... plug and play.  Great find.

Hope Dressler's okay, guy plays with heart.  Like Mayo to get another shot too.  I'd still sign Denmark though... he had chemistry with Nichols.

Lapo's adjustments still a concern.  Hall still soft but some nice blitzes.  Osh's ST had a nice game.

Wild and Westerman never have bad games.

Nichols still throws a few floaters but compared to the rest of his game, I'll take it.

The team sagged and Nichols brought them back - that's basically it.  Wish Willy luck... with another team.  Like to see Davis as backup.

They played with much more enthusiasm with Nichols at qb. offence and defence. perhaps the team hasn't lost faith in Moss, but maybe they have in Willy.

Darvin Adams was making some amazing catches....if he keeps playing that way, nobody will complain about him.

Edited by Mark F

What we had there...was a football game. Plain and simple.

Congratulations to the Coaching staff. We were the ones that kept the other team off balance. We were the one who befuddled Reilly so much. Hardly ever see Reilly with his head down so much swearing under his breath.

Absolutely loved the fact we went down the field early, got stopped, but gambled on 3rd down and scored. That meant so much to this team.

Nichols played himself into another game with that performance. He executed a pretty good game plan from LaPolice, saw the field well, and did enough Quarterbacking to get point on the board. TDs and FGs. That means he drove the offence enough times to at least get to the red zone. He may not have been the be-all end-all last night...but HE got us the win.

the FGs? - 5 all executed. Medlock got 18 points. We directly lost a game against Edmonton last year because our kicker then was 1 -5

Richie Hall's defensive plan was right for Edmonton, and only Walker seemed the only on who mattered for Edmonton.

That brings us to the make-shift secondary. Wow. All those changes and we had a semblance of guys who knew what they were doing. Real nice find in our new starter Terrence Frederick. Nice coverage and he was responsible for the "play of the game" with that brilliant interception. 

I bet there was a lotta hooping and hollering on that one.

The O-Line played like an OLine and led by Bond (another new starter) made Harris a very happy runner last night. That run game served its purpose and kept the Eskimos off balance. We probably should have changed things up and swung Harris out of the backfield in the second half to throw them off even more.

Each team had 3 sacks.

A lot of the credit for the win should go to our Coaching staff....for a change.

I actually think some people will be pissed that the the Bombers won last night. I mean other than rider fans. I mean some sports writers.

Geez, I didn't get upset with any Bomber players last night.

26-43 Matt Nichols. 304 yds 1td.
Apparently there are some dogs that must be kept at bay because O'Sheas bombers won.
Nichols pulls the trigger - Willy kept the safety on?
The player whose name we won't have to try and remember -Terrence Frederick.
Dressler was a power plug all over the field. Missed him severely after he was injured.
A lot of excited happy players during the game..

And that's what happens when I don't pick the Bombers to win eh?

Maybe Adams had shoulder issues all along...  would explain his reluctance to block and not laying out for catches.  He looked good last game, like Adarius Bowman potential...

Huge difference this game was Jace Davis and Kohlert blocking on the inside lanes/run game imo.

4 minutes ago, braddman19 said:

Watching the clip of last week when Reilly wanted to get his team straightened around, when he was all angry and throwing a helmet...... had me thinking that probably none of our QB's would do that given the same situation.

and rightly so......I don't want a QB who loses his **** on the OL like that. Not his responsibility...how do you think Walby would have responded to something like that? He'd stuff a prick like Reilly into a garbage can...

8 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I like what Reilly did last week. I want my QB to get in the faces of the OL when they allow the same stunt to get to him twice for big hits. I want my QB to get mad when he's taking punishment.

Yeah, I don't mind it.  I think back to a few years ago when Cornish was getting stuffed consistently at the line of scrimmage and he called out his OL... the OL made a complete 180 after that and became one of the best in the CFL.  Sometimes a well-respected player calling out underperformers can be exactly what the doctor ordered... just can't do it every week or get carried away.

The performance of the rookies in the secondary last night will create a conundrum when the vets. start returning from the I.R. Right now it would appear that they have 3 if not 4 high quality corners, in Randle, Adams, Frederick and Roberts.  A couple of solid HB's in Johnson, Fogg and Posey and a gift to the ratio with Loffler at S. 

They can't keep everyone but the likelihood of the full secondary being healthy at one time will keep the roster fluid.  I see them keeping Fogg at HB and Loffler sharing duties with Macho for the rest of the year,  Frederick should be able to fill in on the corner until both Adams and Randle return and then they will have to come up with a solution unless Leggett is injured in the meantime.  I realize it was only one game but Frederick looks to be a diamond in the rough so it will take some time to figure out all the options open to him,  He may have the potential to play S. and SAM, in addition to corner.

Posey and Roberts are probably bound for the PR or Sask. via the scrap heap and unfortunately the likes of Jones and Morgan are doomed to another year backing and playing ST.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

3 hours ago, Mark F said:

They played with much more enthusiasm with Nichols at qb. offence and defence. perhaps the team hasn't lost faith in Moss, but maybe they have in Willy.

Darvin Adams was making some amazing catches....if he keeps playing that way, nobody will complain about him.

I was at the game last night and Harris played lights out, thanking his OL many times. OL guys were pumped up, lots of energy. It was awesome. Kept their D off balance.  If Dressler doesn't get injured who knows what he would have ended up with, he was on FIRE. Edm couldn't cover him. I think it would have a blow out with him all game. Hope it's not long term. Darvin Adams stepped up but does need to run forward when he catches the ball. Defense played good, interesting looks they gave Reilly and company last night. Watching Willy on the sidelines, didn't look like he was moping, looked engaged and was always chatting with Nichols. Hope this helps him. Waving the flag around the office today has made me even more popular today as a Bomber fan :-)

2 hours ago, braddman19 said:

Watching the clip of last week when Reilly wanted to get his team straightened around, when he was all angry and throwing a helmet...... had me thinking that probably none of our QB's would do that given the same situation.

Didn't help though. Eskies still lost that game and Reilly's offence was dead in the water at that point. But I get your point. Properly timed outbursts from a leader can help. Sometimes.