Odds and Sods - Game 4 Edmonton at Winnipeg

Some pressure on Reilly early......

That sure didn't last....

Fogg gets the corner, and nice cutback on punt return..

....en route to a 90 TD....that was partially called back..

Willy then hits Kolhert up the middle for a TD...

Bombers up 10-0, in the 2nd.

....pretty well the high point, tonight.

First down production on O, really becoming a problem...

Andrew Harris runs hard....but not a lot of holes, really....

...not much of a downfield pass game, either...

Bomber O employs gimmick plays... behind the LOS....

....too bad, they don't really get back, past the LOS.....

Pretty well every guy on our OL....took a holding penalty

....they had to....in order to keep up with our special teams holds

Both teams had more flags...than UN headquarters....

Bombers D was playing bend don't break....

....aided by some turnovers and red zone stops...

...although 500 yds of Esks offense...is a lot of bend..

Posey was a busy guy, with some tough matchups....

A. Bowman was a beast for Esks, out there...

His 60 yd circus catch between 2 Blue defenders...

...kick started the Edmonton O.

With Cory Watson and Walker.....big, physical group for them.

Watson TD inched Esks closer - 13 -10

....and Edmonton started to take over physically.

Reilly had enough time to pick out his beverage...and drink it.

O'Shea is getting better at the challenge/timeout thing.

Overall, kick coverage pretty good....

The Challenge Thing is destroying the pace of games..

Bomber D forces couple of turnovers inside Esk 25

....O does absolutely nothing with it...

...including a terrible INT by Willy into triple coverage...

Esks kept moving the ball out of bad field position...

...2 drives of 70+ yds in 3rd quarter....and controling TOP

White FG makes it 13-13...felt like - the end is near.

Reilly finds Walker behind TJ Roberts for 75 yd TD 

...now 20-16 for the Evil Empire

Number of people who though Blue would come back.  0.

Clock management: still not Bomber speciality...

Bombers dinking....and dinking on O, right to the end.

K. Bass did his thing...

Ian Wild was pretty active.....

The hitch pass is definately not a Bomber specility....

....neither is downfield blocking... 

Willy still having major problems with timing....

....to both Dressler and Smith...not getting enough, here.

Tale of Two Quarterbacks:

...their guy looked poised and confident....

....ours did not.

...their guy hit big throws down the field....

....ours did not.

Another night...where the Bombers have run dry....

.....but at least, I have not.

I spent half the night wondering why Adarius Bowman couldn't catch a cold when he was in Winnipeg, now he catches everything thrown within a 10 yard radius of his body.  I also sat there waiting for Corey Watson to pull a hamstring or a quad muscle or something, as he would do pretty much every game when he played here.  Didn't happen.  I also spent all night waiting for Sorenson and Greaves to just get turnstyled and allow our D through massive gaping holes like they did when they were here, and it never happened.  I also am pretty sure I saw Cauchy Muamba out there (I thought he had been cut?) and making a tackle or two on special teams.  I never saw him tackle anything when he played here.  How is it that these players, who were marginal at best here in Winnipeg are contributing and starting (and WINNING) in Edmonton?  Can someone answer this for me???  I feel like Mugato right now, that I am on crazy pills.

EDIT - and why did O'Dell Willis not get at least five off-side penalties tonight?  Wasn't that his average when he was in Winnipeg?

Edited by kelownabomberfan

8 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

I can answer that for you KBF. All the former players here that are now in Edmonton play in a better system with better players around them. The result is they're playing better than they did here. It's better.

Agree with this. The 'big' free agent signings we've had this off-season have looked rather pedestrian thus far. Even Medlock has missed a couple FGs, I know he can't hit them all, but that one he missed tonight really bit us later in the game, even a rouge would've pulled us within 3 and we would've likely limped to an OT loss instead... then again hindsight is always 20-20.

5 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

Agree with this. The 'big' free agent signings we've had this off-season have looked rather pedestrian thus far. Even Medlock has missed a couple FGs, I know he can't hit them all, but that one he missed tonight really bit us later in the game, even a rouge would've pulled us within 3 and we would've likely limped to an OT loss instead... then again hindsight is always 20-20.

No, the score was 20-16.

Edmonton gets to turn over their whole freaking coaching staff and hire a rookie head coach and still pulls away from the "stable" Bombers. Bombers coaching staff is "stable" but a stable is also full of manure. At least it wasn't another blowout but it is painfully obvious that Willy can't get it done when it counts.

7 hours ago, iso_55 said:

I can answer that for you KBF. All the former players here that are now in Edmonton play in a better system with better players around them. The result is they're playing better than they did here. It's better.

Nobody in Winnipeg likes hearing what you say but its the cold stone truth.

Guys like  Miller and Walters will talk your ear off about how they've restructured the organization and made things so much better. Lots of empty verse - and in a world governed by results the bombers aren't cutting it.

But since they have no oversight (the owner is a 40 year mortage) the current honchos can just keep juggling balls and keeping themselves employed.

1 hour ago, tracker said:

Edmonton gets to turn over their whole freaking coaching staff and hire a rookie head coach and still pulls away from the "stable" Bombers. Bombers coaching staff is "stable" but a stable is also full of manure. At least it wasn't another blowout but it is painfully obvious that Willy can't get it done when it counts.

Willy has gradually morphed into a $400,000 burn.

Other than Stan Bryant - the weakest Eskimo o-lineman is better than any of our guys. Suck Chunks and Goose were getting turnstiled and bull-rushed like there was no tomorrow. Hardick and Neufeld weren't much better - they were first upfield to extend helping hands to Willy after he went fetal.

Stubborness is not a solution!

11 hours ago, iso_55 said:

so that makes him make circus catches even tho he was dropping everything when he was a bomber? YA SERIOUS? 

38 minutes ago, Goalie said:

so that makes him make circus catches even tho he was dropping everything when he was a bomber? YA SERIOUS? 

Absolutely serious. Players do play better with better players around them. How hard a concept is that to grasp? As far as circus catches go, how come our guys don't do that? Bad scouting, inferior talent, lack of drive? Some? All of the above? Yes.

2 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Well in hind-sight the results were no surprise but the details are painful.  They did compete with one of the top teams so that is a positive.

Which is like saying that you almost made it across  the river.

who's assignment is it to watch film on the other teams defence to prepare for an upcomîng game? Whoever decided that it's a great idea, "like they'll never expect this trick play", to match Dressler against a giant on a very long pass was probably the most creative play I've witnessed in ages. And that other play deep in the esks zone designed to super surprise the defence, the "throw the ball directly at three esks, and they'll be so surprised they'll just catch it and give the ball to our receiver that will then get a TD. They'll never see it coming". 

A few thoughts I had from the game......the hitch pass surprises no one; our offensive line has a pure rookie, and two 2nd year players, all of whom need time to develop. When we put in another rookie for a few plays Couture I think we were in really big trouble; #33 is a player, too bad he doesn't have much support. Running straight ahead isn't going to work; Wild and Bass and Medlock are also players, so are Dressler and Smith. I don't think Fogg is the answer.

I really think we have a coaching issue plus a player issue on the o'line, we can certainly debate La Po's predictability, and our bend but don't break defense is a joke. I also think those cards and signs that the defense uses are kinda amateurish.

FINALLY......WTF happened in the parking lot across from the stadium?? It took us at least 30 minutes to get out of the parking lot. Total gridlock and anger. 

44 minutes ago, ddanger said:

A few thoughts I had from the game......the hitch pass surprises no one; our offensive line has a pure rookie, and two 2nd year players, all of whom need time to develop. When we put in another rookie for a few plays Couture I think we were in really big trouble; #33 is a player, too bad he doesn't have much support. Running straight ahead isn't going to work; Wild and Bass and Medlock are also players, so are Dressler and Smith. I don't think Fogg is the answer.

I really think we have a coaching issue plus a player issue on the o'line, we can certainly debate La Po's predictability, and our bend but don't break defense is a joke. I also think those cards and signs that the defense uses are kinda amateurish.

FINALLY......WTF happened in the parking lot across from the stadium?? It took us at least 30 minutes to get out of the parking lot. Total gridlock and anger. 

I think those cards were just for the offence.

Finally watched the game... not as bad as this forum makes it seem... but not good.

- Willy is done - he's gone from a poor man's Buck... to a poor man's Joey Elliott 

- Lapo still Lapo... not sure why we thought he would change

- Defence was good... biggest difference I see is that Hall took Randle off boundary in second half... so strange.

- Reilly is really really good at 'surviving', Willy is not

- Refs totally botched Ian Wild's safety

- Bombers can only score with gimmicks... this is Lapo...

- Laughable to think we played Hurl instead of Wild down the stretch last year.

- Don't see the benefit of having Smith AND Dressler on the field together... or on the same roster.

- Chungh had a very rough game.

- D was exhausted and still made the stop with 2 minutes left.

- If Johnny Adams is healthy, we win. 

- Reilly is a better QB than Willy and a better coach than O'Shea.

- Two people actually bought bombers 2015 third jersey merch... so strange.

On 16/07/2016 at 11:59 AM, ddanger said:

while I'm typically a bigger fan of a pressure defense also... they only gave up 20 points and gave the offesnse more than ample opportunity to win this game... definitely wouldn't pin this one on the D...

30 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Defense has turned a corner the last couple games...they're not to blame. ST has been great all year....if O ever gets their **** together, we might have something.

The D isn't totally blameless. Yes they have been pretty good but they did give up that touchdown march right before half last week that let the esks back into the game before half. They can definitely be better.