Posters: Whats different this young season?

BigBlue

I am surprised at the low level of activity on this forum compared to earlier years. Normally we have a steady stream of comments during the season from 6 am to 1 am. I am not seeing that right now; in fact its real easy to catch up with all the new posts. I remember I used to check in every 2 or 3 hours. Now, not so much...

Is thus resignation and bitter disappointment, the loss of real hope.... or is something else?

4 minutes ago, Mike said:

I basically just come on here to do administrative stuff lately, I've found it quite painful to read a lot of the posts lately from a personal perspective.

This is what I mean...thanks to crazy people, you're causing some of the only posters worth reading to not post.....so what's the point? Just to vent? C'mon....

14 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

yeah the amount of stupid **** I read after game 1 was just mind blowing. People have been so beaten down after the last couple seasons they lose all hope instantly. 

Sorry, but you explode enough nuclear weaponry, there's bound to be fall out and the lasting consequences of that are not fixed over night. We're talking generations here. I'll leave it up to you to decide who the exploders are, but it's fitting that the team's name is Bombers. People are not happy with the results of the past 4 seasons in particular and the perception of hopelessness (when it comes to ever being in a position to win a Grey Cup) in general. I will give the current administration props, the team has really tried to fix the problems, they may just be dealing with too much radioactivity to clean up. I hope they can. Quality play at QB will help in that regard. I hope they start getting that from Willy. In the meantime, I'm always going to root for them to do so, and will continue to go to games, buy tickets etc. I hope others will as well. It's hard to get excited in an irradiated wasteland. Hopefully that makes sense ...

Edited by IC Khari

Just now, IC Khari said:

Sorry, but you explode enough nuclear weaponry, there's bound to be fall out and the lasting consequences of that are not fixed over night. We're talking generations here. I'll leave it up to you to decide who the exploders are, but it's fitting that the team's name is Bombers. People are not happy with the results of the past 4 seasons in particular and the perception of hopelessness (when it comes to ever being in a position to win a Grey Cup) in general. I will give the current administration props, the team has really tried to fix the problems, they may just be dealing with too much radioactivity to clean up. I hope they can. I'm always going to root for them to do so, and will continue to go to games, buy tickets etc. I hope others will as well. It's hard to get excited in an irradiated wasteland. Hopefully that makes sense ...

I don't mind reading the criticism. I was very critical of our performance on Friday as well, it was a real dumpster fire.

It's the other nonsense that makes it so painful to read the forums. It's pretty obvious people have entirely lost patience, but maybe they need to do a bit better in self-moderation because it's just ridiculous to read some of the commentary after one loss. The most frustrating part is the generalizations and the lack of understanding for the situation.

I read something along the lines of "our DL looks like it's no good yet again this year" and wondered how someone could make that determination after a game. Same thing with the comments about two rookie defensive backs.

I don't want to attack anyone or criticize anyone for their line of thinking, but it just makes reading this site frustrating as someone who, while disappointed, doesn't really want to engage in the hyperbole or exaggerations.

As a secondary thought, I think I came up with a better way to explain how I feel.

I avoid talking football with people at work or in my family, including my dad who I attend games with, because all you seem to get out of them is "Willy sucks! Wade Miller sucks! Everything sucks! We're the worst!" and I just find it incredibly frustrating to listen to.

I come here to avoid all of that and engage in actual DISCUSSION (what went wrong, what went well, what did you think about this play, what did you see in this situation, etc) and it seems like the general attitude around these parts lately is more akin to the water cooler discussion I avoid in every day situations.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

As a secondary thought, I think I came up with a better way to explain how I feel.

I avoid talking football with people at work or in my family, including my dad who I attend games with, because all you seem to get out of them is "Willy sucks! Wade Miller sucks! Everything sucks! We're the worst!" and I just find it incredibly frustrating to listen to.

I come here to avoid all of that and engage in actual DISCUSSION (what went wrong, what went well, what did you think about this play, what did you see in this situation, etc) and it seems like the general attitude around these parts lately is more akin to the water cooler discussion I avoid in every day situations.

this....my father in law is a passive (at best) Riders fan who calls to beak after every Bombers loss (regardless of what the Riders did) and it's people like that, that I try to actively avoid. If you cant' have a reasonable, sensible, knowledgeable discussion about the CFL, then I don't really want to talk to you. Generally speaking, this board is a place you can come if you want to have a conversation about CFL with people who know and understand the game. 

Yet, after every loss...whether it's a 1pt loss in an exhibition game, or a 40 point blow out in regular season........people here have a complete meltdown. Everyone sucks...fire everyone! It's just impossible to wade through...I find myself hitting the "Mark All Read" button so much, because there's nothing worth reading. It's all venting for the sake of venting...

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

Good post I agree it better to discuss what is wrong and what needs to be fixed vs just being negative all of the time. The problem is that Mike O'Shea's if nothing else is very consistent with his comments and his coaching style and that can be very frustrating. I do believe that MOS has improved as a coach however the progress is painfully slow... I am still optimistic that the Bombers can turn this around I don't expect them to win many over the next few since CAL and HAM and EDM are all very good teams however I do expect them to have much improved performance and with a bounce or 2 going their way I think they might win a few...

I agree completely with you Mike.  I was disappointed in the first game.  There were lots of things to be concerned about.  At the same time, it was GAME ONE of eighteen.  So there's no need to lose one's **** immediately, but there do seem to be people on this site that are almost giddy after a loss because they can come here and just spew all sorts of stuff, some valid concerns and a whole ton of nonsense, some of which you've already pointed out.  For me personally, I usually try and take a least a day or two after a loss before posting anything.  That way the rending of garments and gnashing of teeth has started to wind down and the ratio of intelligence posts vs noise starts to go up.

But damn, after a loss, this place sucks...

Its actually stuff like this that is the worst... the existential debate over positive vs negative.  Ugh.

If we really want to improve the content of this site, the admins really need to be on top of updating football content - for a lot of the updates on camp and transactions, you end up going to TEP.  Look at the titles of the threads...  ModAdmin and GBill are kicking MBB's ass...

3 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Its actually stuff like this that is the worst... the existential debate over positive vs negative.  Ugh.

If we really want to improve the content of this site, the admins really need to be on top of updating football content - for a lot of the updates on camp and transactions, you end up going to TEP.  Look at the titles of the threads...  ModAdmin and GBill are kicking MBB's ass...

And how do you suggest we do that?

I don't mind unhappy posters despite how irrational many of you think they are (heck maybe some of you think I'm one of them this year ;)). At least it shows passion which is a sign there's still a heartbeat for the patient. My wife is a fan of the Cleveland Browns, having been born there, and if you had a chance to talk to their fanbase or go to one their discussion forums like she has (it was way worse before Lebron helped secure the city a long awaited pro sports championship) you'd see that aside from a few diehards, generally there's nothing but apathy and a who cares anymore attitude. You can't blame them, this is born out of years, generations really, of knowing their team had no chance at a Super Bowl. Thats in a 32 team league. In many ways our predicament is better, but maybe worse as well. Not being able to win in a 8 - 9 team league in a quarter century is tough on a fanbase (although the Riders went over 50 years before they finally won in 1966 ;)) Surprised there aren't more people who just don't care anymore. it's a testament to the love Winnipeg has for this franchise. At least we're not at a Cleveland Brown level of apathy yet and hopefully never get there.

Edited by IC Khari

Based on what we showed last year, and the personnel improvements we have made this year, we should have a reasonable chance to make the playoffs this year, or better.... 

The problem is we have hitched  our wagon to one star:  "Willy or bust"

Thats pressure, period. Remember Kenny Ploen and Hal Ledyard (or **** Thorton) or one of a dozen brilliant QB tandems we have seen over the years. Look how so many teams today will play  2 QBs from choice, not injury. Montreal was an extreme example last year, too much. But they were at least trying and are better for it this year.

We need to throw  a 2nd QB in for a drive or few when the starter struggles. Then put him back in... its like changing goalies...

14 minutes ago, Floyd said:

11 minutes ago, Mike said:

Yeah, this is a FORUM. It's not the admins' responsibility to create all the content. It's up to the posters.

As for traffic, I have specifically avoided this site since the loss on Friday, knowing it would be an annoying sh*tshow instead of an honest discussion of positives and negatives and opportunities for growth. I'm only even here right now because I accidentally (out of habit) clicked on this site in my bookmarks.

I didn't use to avoid the site after losses, but with the way the discussions have turned of late, it's just not worth the frustration. Mike's explanation was dead-on for me of why I try to avoid it.

What can you really discuss though about the club?

You could pretty much cut and paste the exact same posts over the last 5 years and it would still apply to how the club played last week. 

The club has given no hope and really nothing to get fans excited about.

We signed some awesome free agents....  this was exciting.   After watching 2 dismal efforts in pre season from the starting crew and then a complete turd on the field after the first real game.    What can we really talk about?

It's been so many years in a row of watching the guys come out of the gate and set a record amount of 2 and outs and watching the other team gaining a comfy lead and then us only moving the ball after the opposition has taken the foot off the pedal. 

At least with the Jets even though they had a down year last season... they showed promise and young guys made it entertaining for us to watch games even during a losing streak. 

11 minutes ago, Mike said:

Start threads with some stats and analysis...  you post more on TEP and no offence but they only thing 'less negative' about that forum is Aardvark.

Your post is the most negative one in this thread...  You complain about people writing of the DL after one game (which I don't think anyone did...??) yet on the other forum you write off Shaylon Green after one game.  To be honest, you are one of the most aggressive posters on here in terms of going after people almost on a personal level.

If the admins want a football discussion, they need to steer it that way...

Or bring Garrett back... and put up with his OCD ha