Drew Willy

We brought in Stanley Bryant.... you don't get any more 'competent' than that...

After that, the turnstile of Americans is frustrating... then again, Wylie said this is the best crop of Americans he's seen, so there you go.

As for Goossen, Calgary's Centre basically cost them the game last week... 

Mike Filer, Sorenson, Watman and Cody Husband are starting Centres - these are not exactly premium talents.

OL is not an excuse this year.

26 minutes ago, Floyd said:

We brought in Stanley Bryant.... you don't get any more 'competent' than that...

After that, the turnstile of Americans is frustrating... then again, Wylie said this is the best crop of Americans he's seen, so there you go.

As for Goossen, Calgary's Centre basically cost them the game last week... 

Mike Filer, Sorenson, Watman and Cody Husband are starting Centres - these are not exactly premium talents.

OL is not an excuse this year.

Agree on Bryant....but thought he underformed at bit last year

Goossen is still learning, on the job

How many years have we waited for actually recruiting American studs on this OL?   Too early to state that the problem is solved yet...

Chung will be very good.....for a long time

Neufeld is a 6 yr vet who has proven not that much, up to now ....

Edited by do or die

Stanley Bryant really escapes blame here because he was so good in Calgary and he's a big name but he's been extremely underwhelming since he's been here IMO. Very average which isn't anything close to what we pay him to be. Not that Chung and Goossen are all stars, but inthink they've been let down by the Imports and veterans as opposed to vice versa. 

Thought Bryant Chungh Goossen were fine. Thought Hardrick and Neufeld were terrible tho. Wonder if they give Travis Bond a shot soon. 

Gotta think or hope that going Bryant Chungh Goossen International Guard international tackle might be the best strategy. If it means starting Hurl or a cdn at safety I think it's worth it 

Edited by Goalie

7 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Thought Bryant Chungh Goossen were fine. Thought Hardrick and Neufeld were terrible tho. Wonder if they give Travis Bond a shot soon. 

Gotta think or hope that going Bryant Chungh Goossen International Guard international tackle might be the best strategy. If it means starting Hurl or a cdn at safety I think it's worth it 

Ooohh Hurl was completely lost and seriously behind the play vs Als, the few times he saw the field. Moving the pocket around or a more mobile QB with some pocket presence might be a better solution.

But how does Bryant end up being average here?  How does Greaves go from future lock at LG to traded for a pick?  How does Sorenson end up as the long-term solution to Centre in Edmonton??

Del Monaco is awful here and then seemingly can just plug and play OL in Calgary last season...?  Wylie all of a sudden can't teach at all?

Something doesn't fit.

Comes down to QB talent/depth... there's no other solution.  Other teams have it entrenched, Wpg still can't figure it out after seven years.

Edited by Floyd

I watched the first half again.... the guys on the right side of the O line, 61 and to his right,  seemed to be confused when Montreal had a lineman delay rushing, for a few seconds. Result, two o lineman blocking one d lineman, another d lineman unblocked.

55 was hanging back. sometimes I thought he was playing linebacker position and they rushed only three.

Or maybe I'm missing something.

Edited by Mark F
insert missing word

3 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Calgary's OL was pretty bad this week too, just to be positive. Failed three times from the 1 to get in. Lots of sacks and hits on BLM.

Calgary as a team looked even worse than we did. I mean Jennings looked awful and BC still managed to win that game.

10 hours ago, Floyd said:

But how does Bryant end up being average here?  How does Greaves go from future lock at LG to traded for a pick?  How does Sorenson end up as the long-term solution to Centre in Edmonton??

Del Monaco is awful here and then seemingly can just plug and play OL in Calgary last season...?  Wylie all of a sudden can't teach at all?

Something doesn't fit.

Comes down to QB talent/depth... there's no other solution.  Other teams have it entrenched, Wpg still can't figure it out after seven years.

you're right... something stinks around these parts and I have no idea what it is... why don't things just work out for once...

there's a lot of negativity in this thread... and unfortunately a lot of it is warranted... I'm  not ready to throw in the towel on Drew but you can definitely add me to the concerned/skeptical crowd... I hope to be wrong but this team has proven that feeling to be correct far too many times...

10 hours ago, Floyd said:

Something doesn't fit.

Bryant and chung had strong games individually. But an oline is only as strong as its communication and weakest link. 

wbbfan I understand your comment regarding garbage time and point well taken. I guess what I am saying and believe I said it earlier is simply that the other QBs we have seem to be able to get rid of the ball before being sacked regardless of whether they are playing behind our #1 OL or not and if they were not playing behind the #1 unit but say the number 2 and against the oppositions #2 they are still getting rid of it much quicker. I realize that playing against another team's #2 or 3 players is not a fair judgement however with that said they also play with our #2 or 3 players so that does equal out somewhat I believe. 

other QBs we have seem to be able to get rid of the ball before being sacked regardless of whether they are playing behind our #1 OL or not

This is not a coincidence:

Would Drew be practising throw-always if being sacked otherwise, was a consequence?

19 hours ago, White Out said:

Some comeback. I've rarely been wrong about my predictions, especially when it comes to our football team.

Jemaine-Clement.gif

The line wasn't great but that happens when you don't move the pocket, run, screen, or countless other things. Willy's vision and decision making is putrid. I put far less blame on the OL than the coaching and execution by the QB. What line can pass block for three seconds when seven to eight defenders are on the line? What coach would continue to keep a straight drop back when that has been the book on them for three years? If the QB cannot perform in a moving pocket then they need to be replaced with someone who can.

i was not surprised at all what happened because the people above the players are incompetent. MOS and crew are never prepared for games and are incapable of adapting on the fly (or at all). I doubt teams have to do much prep to play the Bombers. 

Is it time to start a discussion about trading Willy? How can the RedBlacks justify sitting Harris just to placate Hank who'd sulk & pout if he wasn't the starting qb anymore? With the Bombers Willy looks finished. He's broken & looks like he's playing scared as 3 years of hellacious hits will do. Hank is smarter with the football, can evade the rush & make things happen. Willy can't. Hank can play behind a subpar OL & Willy can't. So, would it make sense for the Bombers & RedBlacks to make a qb swap? We'd probably have to give up our #1 pick in the CFL Draft as well next year. Should Walters make that trade?

Edited by iso_55

Willy's market value at the moment is near zero. As a matter of fact, given his contract, it might actually be less than zero. I have doubts about Willy being able to fulfill the promise he showed when he arrived, but he deserves a chance to prove himself worthwhile or play himself off the roster. Nichols might be good enough to step in, but that smacks of desperation. As Willy goes, so goes the team, and we just might be scrooged.

If the pressure in Ottawa is to play Harris then maybe a change of scenery for Hank would be worthwhile. You can bet a change of scenery would do Willy a lot of good.  I guess we'll see what happens Friday when the Bombers travel here to Calgary & take on the Stamps. Can it get any worse?

Our offense & Willy looked terrible. The Als game was the game we needed to win because of our schedule & we couldn't do it. Can Willy come back & become a CFL elite qb? As time goes on it just looks like he can't. I hope he can but I think it'll be extremely tough.

28 minutes ago, Mike said:

Can it get any worse? 

Wow. We lost by one score in his first game back off a season ending injury. I think some of us are getting ahead of ourselves here.

But for arguments sake...

This is exactly the way Willy looked most of the games last year before the season ending injury. He was holding the ball, inaccurate down field, and throwing short of first downs. 

6 minutes ago, JCon said:

But for arguments sake...

This is exactly the way Willy looked most of the games last year before the season ending injury. He was holding the ball, inaccurate down field, and throwing short of first downs. 

Willy played great last year. If Willy played like his 2015 self we would've dominated Montreal.