Drew Willy

I think it's time to talk Drew Willy. 

In 2014 I thought he showed promise. Last year I started noticing the happy feet in the pocket. One thing I really liked about Willy in 2014 was how cool and calm he was, and his pocket awareness. In 2015 you started to see him throwing off his back foot, and moving around when the pressure wasn't there. Personally I think he's taken some big hits and mentally i'm not sure if he can recover. Numbers or not he looked dreadful last night. Can he recover? Is it time to start looking at Nichols or another QB option? To win in the CFL you need solid play from your quarterback. This is Willy's third year here and there's really no excuse for him to be regressing instead of progressing.

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

But he has had all his receivers and rbs changing yearly, new ocs new ols etc. That does make an impact. I will give him more time before determining if he's  going to be OK. Losing sucks but we do need patience.

We'll see. I thought some of Lapo's schemes were nice. The execuation just wasn't there. Too many over thrown balls, and happy feet in the pocket. Can't blame that OC/player personal 

The trend for Drew Willy's play has not been good for awhile. He's establishing a pattern of poor, or slow decisions, and they are costing us. This pattern had started long before his injury and with the newly installed rookie camp where he had tons of time to throw the ball and get his timing down. Slow start pre-season games 1 and 2, and an inexplicably bad throwing performance yesterday.

As Willy goes...so does our offence. It's backyard football logic.

Hes going to have rip off that shell of a former player and put on a cloak, because, right now, he's the 9th best starter in the league.

In the second half when the Als were still catchable, I was watching Lapo at the bench when Willy over threw the receiver once again...I don't know what was going on in his head but he looked as shell shocked as Willy...I'm sure he was thinking...'maybe I should have kept my gig at tsn'...Promised land looks a long way off at the present and I wish I could say 'It'll be a lot better next game' BUT we've been down this bloody road so many times I'm losing track..If fans are down this much after our first beating...what are they going to be like if this crap continues into game 2,3,4,5,...I don't like where this is going but it could be a reality.

14 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

We'll see. I thought some of Lapo's schemes were nice. The execuation just wasn't there. Too many over thrown balls, and happy feet in the pocket. Can't blame that OC/player personal 

But most over throws were to Smith who us new. Timing needs work. Give him time for that. He did miss a ton of time last year. Is rust really unexpected?

3 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

But most over throws were to Smith who us new. Timing needs work. Give him time for that. He did miss a ton of time last year. Is rust really unexpected?

I do not think it is just rust- he has been the same for now the third season in blue and gold except for a brief period in his first season. Hesitant and nervous.

If Willy survives till the mid season and still can't read defensive scheme's check out of plays and get rid of the ball a little quicker then we have a problem. Maybe the problem is between the ears, i hope he gets his act together we have some good pieces on offense but without a competent qb it's all for not.

Winnipeg is not the place for a QB to rebuild confidence...  ask Kent Austin.

We never win in Calgary... so if they manage to pull that out of their ass, maybe the season starts looking good.

But if Willy is still over/under-throwing receivers and our DL does not eat up Calgary's OL, then we're in for a long haul.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

But new OC, new receivers, give them time. We could just fire everyone and start over cause that's worked out so well the last 25 years

This is year 4. We've shown patience. How much more patience do we need? Your premise about the last 25 years doesn't mean anything anymore because clearly things aren't working & status quo is unacceptable. MOS 12-25 & counting. We haven't seen any improvement at all.

Edited by iso_55

1 minute ago, iso_55 said:

This is year 4. We've shown patience. How much more patience do we need? Your premise about the last 25 years doesn't mean anything anymore. MOS 12-25 & counting. We haven't seen any improvement at all.

How many coordinators? How many qbs? How many receivers? Still a ton of changes. I'm OK giving Walters and O'Shea 5 or6 years just for the sake of stability. Been too much impatience the last two decades we need stability even if it's  not the best results

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

How many coordinators? How many qbs? How many receivers? Still a ton of changes. I'm OK giving Walters and O'Shea 5 or6 years just for the sake of stability. Been too much impatience the last two decades we need stability even if it's  not the best results

Five or six YEARS? No way. This is the year the team has to improve or they're gone. MOS is 12-25.

20 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

Five or six YEARS? No way. This is the year the team has to improve or they're gone. MOS is 12-25.

That's right. Let them build a base before we turf everyone again. Look at the mess we got into with the quick firings from Raman to Kelly  to mack to Walters.

What would be so wrong as replacing him with a back up when he is really struggling? Surely he realizes things are not working for him and is able to take the opportunity to see things from a different angle.  In the first half MOS wasted an opportunity to pull him if only for a few series to settle him down and see what he was missing when behind the line.  All I know is Willy is not Willy any more and it just might be he has taken too many bad hits. He did show a lot of promise but good grief you have to feel sorry for all the nasty hits.

3 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

A few times Mtl brought 7 - 8 rushers and willy did nothing to adjust the play. He still dropped back and tried to run the play called.  That is a rookie thing. Not a qb that's been in the league as long as he has.  

Unless the play already called accounted for it. Bad execution happens even with a correct play call

42 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

12 and 25 with those two. 6 and 13 at IGF and you want to give them 5-6 years? Look at the attendance figures. Better yet come and see a game at IGF and realize just how disillusioned the people of Winnipeg are with this club.

Execution was solely lacking...from Willy. Two sacks can be directly linked to Willy...and the fumble. 

This offence, in the first half, reminded me of a Brian Brohm/Robert Marve/insert QB name here run offence, with the same results. 

There are backups on other teams that would have done better - not to mention on our own team. Willy, to me has lost the starting role, and that's not only from last night. 

We won't start Nichols, with Willy as the back up, but we should. If only to give a mental slap to Willy's senses. 

Too much is riding on our sort-of-proven, 9th best starting QB in the league. He's got to be wayy better than shown.