Drew Willy

2 hours ago, B-F-F-C said:

Here is an excellent review of last nights game:

https://bomberbuzz.com/2016/06/25/blue-review-preseason-holds-true-as-bombers-fall-flat-in-hope-opener/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I found these two points to be interesting as it supports what many here have said. Firstly, Willy  played like shat and he hasn't shown any progression from the day he arrived.  Also, the O-line doesn't deserve the criticism for Willy's poor performance. 

3. With that being said, Drew Willy needs to rebound in a huge way from now three consecutive poor showings. The third-year passer seems to be regressing in his development as a starting quarterback despite being in the phase where he should be peaking. I almost didn’t even recognize the 29-year-old out there last night. For the first time in his career, I genuinely thought Drew Willy looked scared in the pocket – and I’d usually never say such a thing about a professional football player. He repeatedly stared down his first read and panicked when it wasn’t there. Willy hesitatingly double-clutched several throws, as alarms seemed to be going off in his head the moment he touched the ball. Struggling to throw against pressure is nothing knew to Willy, though. But it was entirely surprising to see him miss so many throws. Willy over-threw three Bomber receivers deep in this game, and all three likely would have went for touchdowns. His wide-open over-throw on Ryan Smith’s corner route late in the fourth quarter would’ve made it a one-score game. (Willy did, fortunately, hit Darvin Adams deep on the next play to cut the deficit to 8 points). Knowing of what Willy is capable of from previous performances, it’s crucial that he re-gains his confidence, a mental element that was evidently lacking in this game and surely affected his accuracy. There’s absolutely still hope for the 29-year-old passer, but it won’t get any easier against the upcoming stout defenses he’s set to face.

8. All things considered, the Blue Bombers’ rough offensive line does not deserve much of the criticism that they will receive in the loss. Although the Bombers surrendered five sacks, really only Gabriel Knapton’s third quarter sack was at the fault of the offensive line. The remaining four can be attributed to Willy holding onto the ball for far too long, failing to recognize a halfback blitz from Jovon Johnson, and the fumbled snap late in the fourth quarter – the ultimate salt in the wound.

I disagree with this. The O-Line continues to be the root of all the Bomber's problems. All game long the interior of the O-Line was being pushed back into Willy's lap. In short yardage, Bombers were getting zero push up the field. Something is definitely wrong when you fail on 4 different 3rd and 1 attempts in the last 3 games. For a pocket passer it is not enough to just keep the defense from blowing by the O-Line on their way to the QB, they are responsible for creating passing lanes. The biggest problem with the Bomber offense in the last 6 to 10 years is that the O-Line is not controlling the line of scrimmage and they are getting pushed around when they are not just missing blocks completely. They are not creating passing lanes for the QB, and this causes the QB to hold on to the ball too long, and also causes the passes to be inaccurate as the QB has to worry about lobbing it over or around defenders. I think the reason there is no touch on some of the passes is due to the lack of throwing lanes being created by the OL.

In addition to this, sacks are not the only indicator of O-Line problems. Willy has been hit and hurried more in the last 3 years than most QBs see in an entire career. He is indeed shell-shocked, and the verdict is still out on whether he will recover or if the crappy O-Line has ruined his career. Since Winnipeg is in love with that crappy O-Line, it is only a matter of time before he is permanently damaged either physically or mentally. Buck Pierce, Marve, Broom, Willy... the Bomber organization is a QB destroying machine, all due to the worst O-Line in the history of pro sports...

PS: Similar to Willy's numbers, the Harris rushing and receiving yards all came in Garbage Time. When it counted, Harris was stuffed with ease, so I'd say the Oline failed in that regard as well.

30 minutes ago, BomberDynasty said:

I disagree with this. The O-Line continues to be the root of all the Bomber's problems. All game long the interior of the O-Line was being pushed back into Willy's lap. In short yardage, Bombers were getting zero push up the field. Something is definitely wrong when you fail on 4 different 3rd and 1 attempts in the last 3 games. For a pocket passer it is not enough to just keep the defense from blowing by the O-Line on their way to the QB, they are responsible for creating passing lanes. The biggest problem with the Bomber offense in the last 6 to 10 years is that the O-Line is not controlling the line of scrimmage and they are getting pushed around when they are not just missing blocks completely. They are not creating passing lanes for the QB, and this causes the QB to hold on to the ball too long, and also causes the passes to be inaccurate as the QB has to worry about lobbing it over or around defenders. I think the reason there is no touch on some of the passes is due to the lack of throwing lanes being created by the OL.

In addition to this, sacks are not the only indicator of O-Line problems. Willy has been hit and hurried more in the last 3 years than most QBs see in an entire career. He is indeed shell-shocked, and the verdict is still out on whether he will recover or if the crappy O-Line has ruined his career. Since Winnipeg is in love with that crappy O-Line, it is only a matter of time before he is permanently damaged either physically or mentally. Buck Pierce, Marve, Broom, Willy... the Bomber organization is a QB destroying machine, all due to the worst O-Line in the history of pro sports...

PS: Similar to Willy's numbers, the Harris rushing and receiving yards all came in Garbage Time. When it counted, Harris was stuffed with ease, so I'd say the Oline failed in that regard as well.

2nd quarter and 3rd quarter is garbage time?

9 minutes ago, White Out said:

Didn't someone here post about how Harris is no better than Willy?

ooops lol! Nice call. hahahahahahahaha

"It's a perfectly legitimate point. Montreal is likely the worst team in the league this season"
Ive seen you make far more ridiculous claims. 

1 hour ago, BomberDynasty said:

Your excuses for Willy is starting to get ridiculous. Every play he is sacked is the OL fault.  C'mon. No one here is naïve enough to blame the OL for EVERYTHING. Our OL isn't good but to lump that steaming pile of crap we saw Friday solely on them is unfair. Willy sucked yesterday. He played timid & scared all game long. He showed no leadership at all Friday night. No, it's not all the OL. It's Drew Willy as well.

Edited by iso_55

And Willy did a mea culpa after the game saying that he had played a terrible game. What will make or break the season for us is if Willy can shake this off. The available evidence says no, but people have a way of defying the odds every now and again. The larger question is whether O'Shea will drive Willy into the ground or look at a plan B.

Why do Bombers keep trotting Drew Willy out as #1 when he appears to have no fire in his belly or urgency to his game? I don't understand that. It's like he's lackadaisical and a half-step behind everything. It's not rust - he's been like that from day one. There appears to be nothing in his game that would inspire an elevated level of play from his team-mates, never has. People tired of Bombers always losing? It starts and ends at QB. You can't win in this league without great play at the QB position.

honestly I'm not overly concerned,  name me a QB who hasnt had a bad game? it's game 1, im more interested in seeing how the team responds going forward. if they come out flat next week,  that's more telling then laying an egg in week 1.  Willy has shown enough positives that I have faith he can bounce back, and hope he does in week 2 just to put to bed this week one histeria.

on a side note, I'm surprised willy was still behind center in the 2nd half. outside of what like 1 first down on a toss to smith in the first before the rain delay,  most of the bomber drives were only extended due to penalties.  That, imo, is more concerning to me then willy's play. the coaching.

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

To be fair to willy, he had to be given a chance to play himself into stardom or off the team, and as poorly as he played last game (and the others before that), his salary if nothing else says he needs to be given the ball. I do not know if pulling him next game if he repeats will give him a chance to gain a better perspective or if that would further erode his mojo. That's what O'Shea and LaPolice get paid for, and repeating the same process over and over is pointless. O'Shea has not given any indication that he knows what to do.

It wasn't Willy's fault Harris couldn't get 1 yard on 2nd and 1. It wasn't Willy's fault Smith couldn't get 1 yard on 2nd and 1 on the sweep. It wasn't Willy's fault Willy couldn't get 1 yard on 2nd and 1. This OLine has no push and an OLine with no push is useless. We've made serious changes everywhere but the OLine and here we are with the same old problems with lack of pass protection, no production running the ball, no throwing lanes, and no production 2nd or 3rd and short. For all the changes made in the off-season here we are with no offensive production yet again. It's gonna be another long season of watching this offense struggle, our QBs get pummeled, the D get worn out, and other teams running up the score while we lifelessly gloss over what is obviously the exact same problem we have had since Walters took over -- no OLine.

Well right now the bombers are committed to Drew Willy thanks to that huge contract they signed him to. They can't just 'replace him'. They need to work with him. I still maintain that Dressler going down early really hurt them. In the first 8 minutes (prior to the lightening delay which was just after Dressler's injury) they had two quick passes to Dress and one to Smith. It was pretty obvious to me that they were setting something up with that but once Dress went down AND they had a long break they had time to adjust what they were going to go do but it obviously didn't work. 

I'm not a Willy fan - never was. Other than a few starts in Sk he never really did anything that made me go 'wow, he's the next CFL star'. But I'm also not a pro football scout. 

I only saw Willy play once, and in that game here in Commonwealth he did have open receivers - he just wasn't spotting them. My theory was proven after he got hurt late in the second quarter when Brohm came in and had as many passing yards in one series as Willy had in his time on the field. I still maintain he can't read a defense. He just locks in his primary target and that's why he takes so many hits. Once in a while if they have a check down to a back who's within 10 yards of Willy he'll use that. But he's got to learn to go to his second and third reads in a hurry. All the bonafide #1 QB's can do that - even Kevin Glenn. He also has to learn to look of safeties, he doesn't do that well either. 

29 years old - yep. This is it, it's Willy's year. If he can't do it, release him outright at the end of the year (his contract makes him untradeable if he continues to struggle). Maybe the bombers can get Franklin off the Eskimos before the 'Riders do. We'll see. 

Not that Willy is a bad guy, but his personality may not lend itself to a fluid sport like football. There are two types of intelligence- static and dynamic. Those with static intelligence are very good at doing things if the situation remains unchanging and the person is undisturbed, but flounder if unsettled. Those with dynamic intelligence thrive in changing situations and can adapt on the fly- they love chaos and are very competitive.

Guess which one Willy probably is.

57 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

In the end Jennings looked quite good and actually won the game.

Bullshit. Willy looked better to end his game than Jennings, but BC got the kick return to and a ton of misses from the Calgary kicker and win so it means he did play well? Sorry doesn't  work like that. The run game sealed it for BC. Jennings was just chucking prayers all night. Brutal performance and if he did that as a bomber we would run him out of town

12 hours ago, White Out said:

Didn't someone here post about how Harris is no better than Willy?

ooops lol! Nice call. hahahahahahahaha

Actually they did state that. 

I then countered with the 2015 Harris stats that shattered all of Willy's best stats. Harris is a great QB and is miles ahead of Willy. He proved it last night in Edmonton going up against the GC Champs. Plus I can garuntee you that he isn't getting anywhere near 400K in Ottawa. The brain trust in Ottawa is out thinking the Bombers front office. Ottawa has last year's MOP at QB and they still go out and get a better QB than Willy and the future of the club for probably less than 50% of what the Bombers are paying Willy. Sometimes you wonder how one team can be so smart while another team looks so lethargic in that department. 

11 minutes ago, 3RD AND 1 said:

I then countered with the 2015 Harris stats that shattered all of Willy's best stats. Harris is a great QB and is miles ahead of Willy. He proved it last night in Edmonton going up against the GC Champs. Plus I can garuntee you that he isn't getting anywhere near 400K in Ottawa. The brain trust in Ottawa is out thinking the Bombers front office. Ottawa has last year's MOP at QB and they still go out and get a better QB than Willy and the future of the club for probably less than 50% of what the Bombers are paying Willy. Sometimes you wonder how one team can be so smart while another team looks so lethargic in that department. 

lf you want to question anybody's management decision, bring Toronto's management decision to go with Ray over Harris into the conversation. That's the real head scratcher. As much as we're putting question marks after Willy's name, at this point, when you believe you have your guy, you try to keep him for the long term. It's still too soon to bail on Willy, and to compare Ottawa's situation, with a 41 year old QB at the helm, is plain silly. Ottawa made the right decision. It will soon enough become evident whether we could have, or even should have, made a play for Harris.

22 minutes ago, 3RD AND 1 said:

I then countered with the 2015 Harris stats that shattered all of Willy's best stats. Harris is a great QB and is miles ahead of Willy. He proved it last nightarrow-10x10.png in Edmonton going up against the GC Champs. Plus I can garuntee you that he isn't getting anywhere near 400K in Ottawa. The brain trust in Ottawa is out thinking the Bombers front office. Ottawa has last year's MOP at QB and they still go out and get a better QB than Willy and the future of the club for probably less than 50% of what the Bombers are paying Willy. Sometimes you wonder how one team can be so smart while another team looks so lethargic in that department. 

hindsights a *****.  there was a lot of speculation harris was look for starter money after we already invested in willy.  I'm perfectly fine with nichols as the back up.  I honestly havent seen enough of harris to regard him as the holy messiah yet.  clearly the argos thought more highly of a banged up aging ray

Lots of excuses.... as always...

Every QB or FA (especially during the Mack era) was an 'overpay'...  Harris is not making $400k a year as a backup...

Somehow Desjardins has landed two of the best starting QBs in the league, a prime LT FA and the best receiving core in the league... and stil stays under the cap.

As for Barker, I agree they made a mistake... but there's a big difference between betting the farm on Ricky Ray than on Drew Willy...