Drew Willy

13 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

I didn't see any outlets. Andrew Harris stayed in & blocked the whole time & they brought receiver Darvin Adams in to block as well. He had no one to throw to. That's not Willy, that's just bad scheming.

And that is all I am saying. Not always on the qb

4 minutes ago, blueandgoldguy said:

Maybe it's time the Bombers take a chance and look at Franklin as a legitimate option for the backup role in Winnipeg if Willy continues to struggle.  He was excellent when he started or relieved the starter last season with the Esks.  He played better than Nicholls and was the reason they traded Nicholls to the Bombers during the season - they knew they had a good backup to Rielly in Franlin.  Nicholls is an OK backup but has the potential to be nothing more than a low-end starter.  We already know this.  Franklin has the potential to be one of the best starters in the league and is probably the 2nd best backup in the league after Harris.  

Waiting until the end of the season with hopes of getting Franklin in free agency is foolish...unless Willy turns things around of course.  If he doesn't the Bombers shouldn't hesitate to give up a pick for Franklin as there is no doubt in my mind that some other team will outbid the Bombers in the 2017 off-season if it comes to that...probably Saskatchewan.  Trade for him and sign him to an extension tout suite.

We gave up a 1st round pick to get Waggoner. So why wouldn't we trade for a qb with next year's pick? The way I see it there aren't many starting qbs available like there were in 2014 so a trade is the only way to find one. I'd trade with Edmonton to get him. A first rounder & one of our starters is probably what it would take.

26 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

QB should've read the blitz, called a revision (audible), and screened to the RB. What's so complicated about that? It's on the QB and his failure to see it coming.

Receivers have to read it too and react accordingly. Or do you think receivers run only one route no matter what? Options exist for them on every play and it requires both to read and react the same way. 

1 minute ago, iso_55 said:

We gave up a 1st round pick to get Waggoner. So why wouldn't we trade for a qb with next year's pick? The way I see it there aren't many starting qbs available like there were in 2014 so a trade is the only way to find one. I'd trade with Edmonton to get him. A first rounder & one of our starters is probably what it would take.

Any  word on how Waggoner did?  I can't recall hearing his name during the broadcast?

4 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

The clip on this thread doesn't show how much time had elapsed on the 20 second clock. All I know is I was sitting in the stands thinking oh no the D is getting ready to stack the line but Pierce didn't see it. Even I saw it and I'm just a fan. He had time to change the play and throw a screen to the RB. But he didn't.

Id suggest going back re watching and watching the time clock. Or in other games. 

Just now, iso_55 said:

Special teamer.

pretty much. we are carrying a crazy amount of dbs and lbs.  9 lbers. I dont recall him or any of the rookie nucks shining on teams. Though i did see us get close to blocking 2-3 punts idr who it was or if it was the same person exploding off the edge each time. 

I thought Special  Teams outside of Medlocks opening kick off was the best group on the team. The D wasn't very good, not many 2 and outs for Montreal and then when the game was still somewhat on the line late, they gave up quite a bit of yardage and a good chunk of time. I guess, if there is a silver lining in all of this, LOL, i know, people don't want to hear it, it's that the O played like crap, the D wasn't much better and we barely lost.  Yeah it could have been a lot worse but for as awful as the O was through 3 quarters and for as bad as the D was, and they were pretty bad, We still had a chance to at least tie the game and perhaps win it. 

Perhaps that is what's missed in all this over the top, sky is falling stuff, we played like crap but barely lost. Yeah it was closer than it seemed but in the end, we lost 22 - 14. 

Edited by Goalie

7 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

And if he throws the ball away in pocket it's intentional grounding

he pulled the ball and looked to run, escaping the tackle box to throw away i want to say would have been possible. However looking at the rules i cant see mention of the tackle box intentional grounding.

Edited by wbbfan

1 minute ago, iso_55 said:

What is the rule for intentional grounding in the CFL? In the NFL the qb can't throw the ball away if he's between the tackles. I think the CFL has a different rule about that...

If a Team A passer deliberately, and in the official's opinion for the purpose of avoiding loss of yardage, throws the ball behind the line of scrimmage to the ground or Out of Bounds or to an area in which there is not an eligible Team A receiver, the team shall be penalized.

PENALTY: LD at point from which pass was thrown. If the pass was thrown from the Goal Area, a safety touch score shall be awarded to Team B, subject to the right of Team B to decline the score and accept the play as it terminated.

NOTE: Team A shall not be penalized if the passer throws the ball across the line of scrimmage to an open area or Out of Bounds.

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

If a Team A passer deliberately, and in the official's opinion for the purpose of avoiding loss of yardage, throws the ball behind the line of scrimmage to the ground or Out of Bounds or to an area in which there is not an eligible Team A receiver, the team shall be penalized.

PENALTY: LD at point from which pass was thrown. If the pass was thrown from the Goal Area, a safety touch score shall be awarded to Team B, subject to the right of Team B to decline the score and accept the play as it terminated.

NOTE: Team A shall not be penalized if the passer throws the ball across the line of scrimmage to an open area or Out of Bounds.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, blueandgoldguy said:

Any  word on how Waggoner did?  I can't recall hearing his name during the broadcast?

Waggoner is one of many excellent ST'ers O'Shea has assembled from an excess of LB's.   Jones, Sherman, Briggs, Burnett, Gauthier, Wild, Hurl, all are great in pursuit.  Unfortunately Waggoner has yet to show that he is better than Sherman, Hurl or Burnett on the depth chart.

6 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

No one is dumping on Waggoner. He is a special teamer.

1 hour ago, Blueandgold said:

I wonder when the peanut gallery will finally be ready to admit that Waggoner is shomari Williams 2.0. Him and Addison Richards were absolutely atrocious picks.

I'd say that's pretty much the text book definition of "dumping".  And I'm shocked that a guy that was essentially a first round pick in 2015 is not already a starter because every other 2015 1st rounder is, right BlueandGold?

I am a fan of Waggoner but still think we could have offered a 2nd rounder for him... if you don't get him, you don't get him...

Walters ignored his own draft strategy and used a 1st on an LB instead of building OL.  Its a mistake, that's all.

I'm more worried about taking Richards when Waud, Durant, Beard and Archambault were still on the board.  It reminded me of a Mack pick.

My other concern is dumping our late round picks... Ottawa now has Lattanzio and I wouldn't be surprised if Butcher doesn't end up somewhere else - keep them on the PR.

2 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Its fantastic to watch Waggoner on teams instead of having that pick and taking an OL.

Yep,

And that's the problem with Walters. Not including this year (and the verdict is still out on that), he hasn't really made his picks count. Waggoner was a total waste to give up a first rounder for a player who is likely only good enough to be a career special teamer. You could have selected a similar player in round 5. Another very poor pick is Goosen. He didn't start for a number of years because even as a first rounder he needed "development". Now his is a starter and looks like he is only ever going to be capable as a backup. His play in the middle is a big part of the Bombers problems.

Walters needs to go before this Bomber team will ever be any better than what you saw in game 1.

8 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I am a fan of Waggoner but still think we could have offered a 2nd rounder for him... if you don't get him, you don't get him...

Walters ignored his own draft strategy and used a 1st on an LB instead of building OL.  Its a mistake, that's all.

I'm more worried about taking Richards when Waud, Durant, Beard and Archambault were still on the board.  It reminded me of a Mack pick.

My other concern is dumping our late round picks... Ottawa now has Lattanzio and I wouldn't be surprised if Butcher doesn't end up somewhere else - keep them on the PR.

I think there was a first round offer on the board I know there was a second. but iirc its a double blind bid. We went corney with our highest pick this year too. I think walters draft strategy is BPA. At least, with the top pics. Im a big waggoner fan and think he and corney will be the future of our NI ratio. Would i rather have st john or even groulx? yeah. I think every one would. Bomber brass included. 

Im more worried addison richards, and goossens development. Hurl ending up playing too much some how. neufeld staying healthy, and our lack of NI talent behind kohlert. We took a risk, spent a pick and got a talented player who will start eventually. I call that a win.