Drew Willy

Just curious, does anyone know when the Bombers last overcame a 20 point deficit and how many times they have done it since, say 1990? Failing that, does anyone know where I might look up such a statistic?

1 minute ago, Bigblue204 said:

Jyles in that thanksgiving day OT win comes to mind. Though I can't remember how much they were down by.

Oh that's right. I knew there was a game or two. That was a sweet one!

4 hours ago, White Out said:

Sure if you want to disagree with my use of the term garbage time, I'll give you that. It was 22-4 when the 4th quarter started, and there was very little reason to believe that our offence would suddenly click and turn it on. Montreal eased up on the gas and Winnipeg made it close, and when the going got tough we had multiple shots at getting the game to overtime or winning but couldn't get it done.

Did Willy and company finally get their act together, or, did Montreal let up after watching a total clown show for 3 quarters? The truth is likely a little of both but the lions share is , in my opinion, the clown show option.

If you want to really talk about how silly things are here on this forum, the hysterics over benign and uncontroversial statements like mine are  a good place to start.

The way Doug Brown explains it (and he used the Mtl. game as a prime example) all defences protecting a healthy lead tend to  lose focus later in the game despite the coaches pleading them not too.  It's human nature, when a D thinks it has the game in the bag the fears that motivated them to focus and play their very best earlier in the game have been quenched.

Okay I will correct myself. The term only just was incorrect. But the Bombers were never in that game. They made two defensive plays that took points off the board and Montreal took another off on their own. The score and the stats flattered the Bombers though because Montreal was able to move the ball pretty much whenever they wanted and were able to shut down the Bombers as needed. My Father and I left with about 6:30 minutes left and though they tried nothing changed in that time. Whether it was 22 or 222 points its moot all facets of the Bombers game were not up to snuff. 

It is something that has become all too familiar. It's great that some of you can be so bloody sure this team doesn't suck but trying to bully or insult others into your line of thinking doesn't work very well. It's what actually causes a drop in posting. 

If someone wants to ***** and be overly emotional it happens. The solution isn't to pull out personal attacks and other common fare here it is to calmly and rationally try and argue otherwise. *****-slapping only leads to more bitchslapping.

Since those overly optimistic folks can't, or don't want to, rationally discuss things you get what you have now. I, for one, don't wish to feed the wolf any more and I would encourage other pessimistic folks to refrain from posting. If those overly optimistic sorts want their blue blinders forum let them have it. 

But the Bombers were never in that game.

It's statements like this that cause the eruption of responses that are seen to be made by "optimistic sorts"...because it is inaccurate. You may not agree but the Bombers never were 'out of that game'. Why? They still made plays, and Montreal didn't execute when they had to. Just like the Bombers - who didn't execute when they had to. The Bombers may have had reprieves...but then, so did the Alouettes. And the game stayed close.

The score and the stats flattered the Bombers though because Montreal was able to move the ball pretty much whenever they wanted and were able to shut down the Bombers as needed.

And so it seemed..but still the mighty Alouettes weren't up by 30 points, and almost couldn't put the Bombers away.

It is something that has become all too familiar

Yes, unfortunately, it does look familiar and totally what the Bombers didn't want and didn't need.

trying to bully or insult others into your line of thinking doesn't work very well. It's what actually causes a drop in posting. 

Bully? I don't think so. Responding to nonsense does take restraint and many posters practise restraint,  but nonsense is still nonsense, and negativity gets tiring after awhile. THAT contributes to less posts.

I, for one, don't wish to feed the wolf any more and I would encourage other pessimistic folks to refrain from posting. If those overly optimistic sorts want their blue blinders forum let them have it. 

Blue blinders fits all sizes and categories, both positive and negative, as blinders, by their definition, prevent a full understanding of the situation. See how that works?

I myself, would encourage MORE participation, not less, by present posters and lurkers, both friendly and on the darker side..

8 hours ago, LeBird said:

I really hope we win a string of games to make this site more liveable because the way things are it's not good for anybody.  

Very very true, but I'm sure glad this site is here when we lose. It feels like a support group with a variety different issue all coming together under one. That's one of the many things about this site I appreciate. But going 17 and 1 would be better.

16 hours ago, J5V said:

Just curious, does anyone know when the Bombers last overcame a 20 point deficit and how many times they have done it since, say 1990? Failing that, does anyone know where I might look up such a statistic?

https://cfldb.ca/ 

off the top of my head the khari to arland bruce calgary game comes to mind. IIRC that was 3 tds and a fg. 

49 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

https://cfldb.ca/ 

off the top of my head the khari to arland bruce calgary game comes to mind. IIRC that was 3 tds and a fg. 

17 hours ago, J5V said:

It was '92 or '93.  Can't remember which game.  My brother and I thought it was over and walked out of the game when the Bomber's were down by 2 touchdowns at least.  There was about 5 minutes left in the game and we just decided to beat the traffic since we were losing.  We just walked out of the stadium when we heard the canon go off.  We got in the car started driving away while listening they scored again.  I wish I could remember the game but it was just too far back, maybe someone else remembers the details.  I know they scored at least 2 touchdowns to win the game.  Not sure if they did any 2 point conversions.

It was 1981 or 82, we played the Argos at home & with 3 minutes left we were something like 17 points behind. We actually scored 3 touchdowns & beat them. It was unbelievable. (I have no idea why the quote box is below this message...) 

43 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Bear in mind that in all of these come from behind wins, we only won because we scored all our points in garbage time, so they really aren't wins at all, regardless what the scoreboard or the standings said.  

Wait... what?

Score board has Bombers with more points when game clock hits 00:00 - that is THE TEXT BOOK definition of a win for the Blue.