Rookie Camp

49 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I think the change in offense alone will help our Willy take less abuse. Lots of options for quick short passes on the team the way I see it, throw it behind the guys trying to kill the qb and all of a sudden they might slow down a bit. Harris especially is as good a pass catcher as he is rusher so that should in theory help out a lot. 

Im waiting to see what we run and how we run it. Plop ran some awful offenses here at multiple points in time. The weapons we have should help prevent Ds from pinning their ears back and coming at willy every down.

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

Im waiting to see what we run and how we run it. Plop ran some awful offenses here at multiple points in time. The weapons we have should help prevent Ds from pinning their ears back and coming at willy every down.

Sure he ran some awful offences, but I recall him using the rbs quite heavily in the passing game when he was here the first time, both Sellers and Roberts caught a lot of balls. He's got the players to run a lot of plays that can generate yards after the catch. I think just reading the tea leaves we can get a kind of idea what Lapo is going to want to run. The real concern with him is if he's grown a set of balls since he was fired or if he's still going to be passive to the point of crippling the offense. 

28 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Sure he ran some awful offences, but I recall him using the rbs quite heavily in the passing game when he was here the first time, both Sellers and Roberts caught a lot of balls. He's got the players to run a lot of plays that can generate yards after the catch. I think just reading the tea leaves we can get a kind of idea what Lapo is going to want to run. The real concern with him is if he's grown a set of balls since he was fired or if he's still going to be passive to the point of crippling the offense. 

Still remember Joey Elliot coming off the field and throwing his helmet down in disgust in a game against the Lions because Lapo called a draw on a second and five just so he could get the field goal, rather than take a risk to get the first down and go in for score.  Then we ended up losing the game on a FG by BC on the last play of the game. That was Lapo's last game as HC.

35 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Still remember Joey Elliot coming off the field and throwing his helmet down in disgust in a game against the Lions because Lapo called a draw on a second and five just so he could get the field goal, rather than take a risk to get the first down and go in for score.  Then we ended up losing the game on a FG by BC on the last play of the game. That was Lapo's last game as HC.

I thought we won that game

Alright boys and girls, I was at practice today and I am sorry I am late but I got stuck at the office.....oh wait that was most of you ;) 

So here are some of my observations from today:

Coutier and Intzandt first OL, first ones on the field working on footwork. (Roommates, looking like they were helping each other out)

Intzandt really taking advantage of coach Wylie. One on one tutelage, he would have something explained and then show some of the IMP. He must have done a good job because Wylie gave him a couple taps on the lid, not in a discipline way. 

Travis Bond is a friggin behemoth- Yes I know this has been said before but wow! Surprised they found a helmet for this guy.

Foketi looks like a real solid athlete, Jace Daniels better bring his A game because there are guys here who want it! Great scouting!

We have some really nice depth here... I can not see by any means other than an injury plague that we are running 3 imp on the OL, that is just ridiculous talk. 

Flanders has really nice hands for an RB, was catching a number of passes.

Talley seems to struggle with the waggle, IMO he won't make it past the first cut.

Vitt is intriguing, really want to see him Crack the roster, strong work ethic.

Didn't see Hall talking to much, someone else was running the defensive calls and communicated well with the guys (Glen Young, Todd Howard maybe?)

Cobourne has his guys walking with some confidence, RB will be a really neat battle to watch next week to see if we hold onto 2 of these guys.

45 (CJ Wilson) is going to be a team leader. After practice was coaching 23 and 39. Helping them with reads. And then did some conditioning after. A true pro. Avon came by them and could here him from the sidelines telling them " I like the work, I like the work! Singleton was doing sprints on his own as well, then joined in on the conditioning after. 

That's all I can think of off the top of head and my sad notes.

We have some hungry boys who want to play football this year guys, if you get even a little bit of a chance, check them out next week, it's going to be intense!

I was at practice again today...glad to see MinisterOfD5 got as much as he did out of it. It was obviously a teaching day with no pads. All I did was get extremely bored...expecting more like yesterday.

There was so little happening from a fan point of view, my son and I talked about other things for a good portion.

I felt like we wasted our time being there...when the offence practiced their plays the QB's didn't even throw the ball, and as a result the players looked disinterested.

I decided I would offer a suggestion, so I emailed Darren Cameron to  describe what it was like from a fan's point of view...not that I expect the club to tailor the practice for the fans. The suggestion that I made was that when they post the practice schedule, they add on days like today "teaching day...no pads".

He emailed back, and tried to offer some reasons, but they were simply an attempt to justify how the practice was conducted. I have no problem with what he said, but my suggestion still stands. He said they may consider it. Not holding my breath though.

That would at least indicate to those who would rather not sit through what we sat through today, that we can stay home or do something productive if we wish.

We stayed for the whole practice as we thought perhaps they would have an easy scrimmage at the end, but nothing at all happened. We even had to watch a whole 15 minute stretching segment, they are usually much quicker than that, and seeing as the athletes didn't have to do anything today, seemed like a good thing, but could have been done individually...matter of fact there are many studies which say that stretching is overrated, prior to physical exertion.

http://www.runnersworld.com/stretching/does-stretching-prevent-injuries

Will have to be more selective next week.

Well, I got what I could, however, I disagree with the stretching being overrated. If they didn't stretch or not enough someone would b!tch that they should looked after the players better but it's a practice. So what? Let them loosen up, it's just a rookie camp to bring them up to speed for what they will be heading into next week. We were able to see some flashy stuff yesterday, yeah cool, but its not always going to be like that (as was seen by today) I'd rather they know what they are doing so they aren't doing any of these minute details next week which puts a better product assessment on the field come exhibition time. Not trying to be argumentative Bear but would rather everyone be prepared for their real tests then cater to us fans. Just my two cents.

Can't wait till next week

I know what you are saying, and I never said they should cater to the fans if you read carefully. I just said it would be nice to know in advance if that is the type of practice scheduled...then I wouldn't have seen the 15 minute stretching routine which is usually much less, and half the players not really stretching anyway. I don't disagree they need preparation...hence my wish for some type of notice.

2 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

nope.  Lost it on a game ending FG from Mccallum.

http://www.cfl.ca/games/1849/bc-lions-vs-winnipeg-blue-bombers/

BC hadn't given up a touchdown in the past 2 or 3 games coming into Winnipeg. We couldn't contain Lulay, but big plays by Matthews and Denmark kept the game alive. After the team's performance that week I really disagreed with the decision to fire Lapo. Thinking back on the post game interview... I think Lapo knew ahead of time that if he lost the game under any circumstance he would be fired, and that probably would have influenced him to play conservatively. Hopefully Lapo feels enough job security now to take some risks and play to win, start to finish.

1 minute ago, blitzmore said:

I know what you are saying, and I never said they should cater to the fans if you read carefully. I just said it would be nice to know in advance if that is the type of practice scheduled...then I wouldn't have seen the 15 minute stretching routine which is usually much less, and half the players not really stretching anyway. I don't disagree they need preparation...hence my wish for some type of notice.

I get what you are saying, but a practice is a practice. Predetermining the agenda for any given day would be hard to give any advance warning of.  

Rookie camp has been generally the same the years O'Shea has been here with the last day being more about health and fundamentals.  This is a wind down period including tomorrow before the big stuff starts on Sunday.  

Sorry you wasted your time today, but these types of days will be much less likely to happen from here on out until at least the end of June.

19 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

BC hadn't given up a touchdown in the past 2 or 3 games coming into Winnipeg. We couldn't contain Lulay, but big plays by Matthews and Denmark kept the game alive. After the team's performance that week I really disagreed with the decision to fire Lapo. Thinking back on the post game interview... I think Lapo knew ahead of time that if he lost the game under any circumstance he would be fired, and that probably would have influenced him to play conservatively. Hopefully Lapo feels enough job security now to take some risks and play to win, start to finish.

LaPo was way to conservative as a HC... but that was the absolute worst circumstances to fire a coach - that loss was basically a 'win' for that team.

So glad Mack is gone.

5 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Tbh i credit that mostly with khari's quick check downs. Its not some thing we saw make a big return when he came back as a HC and ran his own offense. I would love to see that return though. 

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

LaPo was way to conservative as a HC... but that was the absolute worst circumstances to fire a coach - that loss was basically a 'win' for that team.

So glad Mack is gone.

Id agree with that, but Imop he should have been fired before that. Turning a possible W we had no right earning into a L even if its a moral victory isnt gonna cut it in the cfl or any league. 

I didnt think it was just passive play calling, though that was a problem. Our offense under him seemed soo vanilla and lacking in diversity. Maybe it was plays to set up other stuff that never came to fruition but the offensive playbook/calling is my biggest concern for this team this year. I think our talent and depth is in a great place.

5 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

nope.  Lost it on a game ending FG from Mccallum.

http://www.cfl.ca/games/1849/bc-lions-vs-winnipeg-blue-bombers/

If this is the game where BC tossed a deep bomb with seconds left and then won at the end... then I was at this game and it was real real bad. 

I fondly remember Elliott being pissed and Lapo calling screen passes and continuous running plays up the gut all for losses or a few yard gains.

Luckily, while Lapo will be in charge of play calling, it is the head coach's responsibility to decide whether to kick a field goal or go for it.  And if Lapo wants to call a draw and O'Shea wants to throw a deep pass, they will throw a deep pass.  Lapo being conservative shouldn't be as big of an issue with him as OC rather than head coach.  Hopefully. 

On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎26 at 5:50 PM, Bigblue204 said:

Sets of 80? That's ******* crazy.

I know someone quite well who went to Bomber camp after being told to get bigger.....he could squat 500lbs, and bench 400......but he lost his speed and mobility. With a rather predictable result......