Bombers mini camp in Wpg Apr 25-27 open to public

Some guys will be let go for sure, that's the nature of the beast really, if a better player comes along, you get rid of another player.. It is what it is. It's football really. I don't think they are blowing "menthol" up anybodies ass, MOS just won't come out and say they are gonna cut a ton of players cuz that's just not how he roles, I mean, he's been here what? 3 seasons now? If you haven't learned that he won't throw any player under the bus publically or even talk of that in public, then I don't know, guess you really haven't been paying attention. 

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

What do I expect OShea to say, seriously? 

I expect him to answer the questions posed to him from the press. Is it our fault that the questions asked are general in nature and simple in their originality?

And he did.  No one here is fodder, ie taking up reps solely for the sake of keeping other players fresh with no shot of making the team.  Every player that I've seen belongs here.  Not all will stay.

I've seen fodder at Bomber camps, particularly on the Oline.  Guys who couldn't hope to play a single snap in the CFL without getting their QB killed, even if they got to spend a decade on the practise roster.

Very short summary of today:

I'm developing a serious crush on Davis.  I do not recall EVER looking at one of our backups and saying this guy legitimately could be a starter in the CFL someday.  Davis is that guy.  Accurate passes with snap on them.  Hitting the back shoulder on the back shoulder throws, not just putting it in the catching radius.  Dropping the balls in sweetly on the deep routes.  Minding the details of how he uses his body in play action, and using those practise reps to perfect his read-option pulls.  I never thought I'd have this many good things to say about a QB who isn't even going up against a defence, but he's doing every little detail right.

Okay, deep breaths....

The other QBs were good-ish.  Willy was underthrowing a little today, and several times receivers were slowing to wait for the ball.  Nichols was a bit erratic with his aim.  The other guy just seems alright, kind of average in the sense that he has done nothing bad or good to catch my eye.

#60 (Bond) seems pretty athletic for a buffet buster.  He was lined up at left guard next to Bryant.  Gets downfield quickly to throw a block on the first run play, then follows it up on the next play by pulling around the right side to give a healthy pop in the blocking pad to the U of M kid simulating pressure.  He's mobile.

#82 (Smith) had the only outright drops of the day that I noticed, 2 of them.

#14 (McDuffie) is a really fast dude.

Lapolice seems to be in his glory out there.  The coach is doing some serious coaching, and receivers are not getting away with cheating their routes.

Harris was showing some real burst through the line on his runs.  Lochard might have decent receiving skills, but that burst is something I don't think he can match.

Poor fullbacks off in the corner practising by themselves.  I guess they're the kickers of mini-camp.

13 minutes ago, mbrg said:

Very short summary of today:

I'm developing a serious crush on Davis.  I do not recall EVER looking at one of our backups and saying this guy legitimately could be a starter in the CFL someday.  Davis is that guy.  Accurate passes with snap on them.  Hitting the back shoulder on the back shoulder throws, not just putting it in the catching radius.  Dropping the balls in sweetly on the deep routes.  Minding the details of how he uses his body in play action, and using those practise reps to perfect his read-option pulls.  I never thought I'd have this many good things to say about a QB who isn't even going up against a defence, but he's doing every little detail right.

Okay, deep breaths....

The other QBs were good-ish.  Willy was underthrowing a little today, and several times receivers were slowing to wait for the ball.  Nichols was a bit erratic with his aim.  The other guy just seems alright, kind of average in the sense that he has done nothing bad or good to catch my eye.

#60 (Bond) seems pretty athletic for a buffet buster.  He was lined up at left guard next to Bryant.  Gets downfield quickly to throw a block on the first run play, then follows it up on the next play by pulling around the right side to give a healthy pop in the blocking pad to the U of M kid simulating pressure.  He's mobile.

#82 (Smith) had the only outright drops of the day that I noticed, 2 of them.

#14 (McDuffie) is a really fast dude.

Lapolice seems to be in his glory out there.  The coach is doing some serious coaching, and receivers are not getting away with cheating their routes.

Harris was showing some real burst through the line on his runs.  Lochard might have decent receiving skills, but that burst is something I don't think he can match.

Poor fullbacks off in the corner practising by themselves.  I guess they're the kickers of mini-camp.

So did you just say "screw work" and head out there?  Do you work close to the stadium?

I might be stalking you so answer correctly.  :)

And thanks for the updates man.

Went to camp yesterday morning....wanted to comment on the Fan experience at camp. Walking up to the Bomber store there was a Bomber Ambassador standing outside. "Good morning going to camp?" Yes. "Would you like a roster of the players?" yes please. "Have a great day!"

Into the store girl behind counter "Good Morning"...just before leaving the store another Ambassador..."hope you have a good time" I said never had this happen before...he says "we're here to serve you" Wow...step outside another one "seating is to your left, hope you enjoy"

This was a very good experience by whoever organized this!!!

a few observations...

speed...speed...speed. Virtually all the receivers and both running backs. Lochard not as fast as Harris but not a slouch either. Catches well out of the backfield. Harris looks very good, running and catching out of the backfield.

The receivers? Did I say speed? All looked very good catching passes, but beside my favs, Dressler and Smith, all the rest except for two were catching consistently rather than dropping. The two exceptions were #72 Pinkard and #70 R. Collins, who both dropped a few. Particularly impressive for me was Spencer Davis #88...tons of speed and makes it look easy catching whatever is thrown his way.

Willy was on yesterday morning as was Nichols. But Davis who I understand was good the day before was overthrowing and inaccurate many times.

I didn't really pay attention to the O line. Looks like we will probably have many more quick hitters this year, and screen passes in different ways.

Walked away pretty impressed despite no defense.

It's a wrap

CFL.CA STAFF

- Paul LaPolice has taken his ‘Coach’s Playbook’ from the studio to the practice field. Says Weston Dressler  “It’s actually quite different,” said Dressler. “I was thinking it might be more similar and easier to learn, but he’s definitely changed up a lot of the terminology. And Harris...Harris likens it to the one he used to play in with the Lions under then-offensive coordinator Jacques Chapdelaine. “It’s very similar,” said Harris, “and that’s exciting to me because I did really well in that offence. “It’s a west coast-style offence and a lot of the terminology is similar but there are some new things to learn as well, and I think it’s going to evolve as well as he sees the kinds of guys he has.”

AND

- reader beware, Darren Cameron has a blog...and the contents are positive http://www.bluebombers.com/2016/04/27/mini-camp-recap/ 

things like "Drew Willy gushed about what he’s seen throughout the camp, including the post-practice offensive meetings (receivers and quarterbacks) Drew ran in the main team meeting room that went well into the late afternoon." Yech. 

ALSO

On Periscope, O'Shea explained how this no-defence minicamp will be good for everyone..and the explanation actually made sense. This time the defence will have to be ready because the O will be more primed. More snaps can be evaluated. He says the minicamp all offence thing can change based on what the team feels it needs at that time. From minicamps straight into interviewing potential draft picks tonight. Also, evaluating the roster as it stands and where it needs to be. In case your curious, O'Shea had sneakers on again today..

https://twitter.com/wpg_bluebombers/status/725362813330288640

10 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

It's a wrap

CFL.CA STAFF

- Paul LaPolice has taken his ‘Coach’s Playbook’ from the studio to the practice field. Says Weston Dressler  “It’s actually quite different,” said Dressler. “I was thinking it might be more similar and easier to learn, but he’s definitely changed up a lot of the terminology. And Harris...Harris likens it to the one he used to play in with the Lions under then-offensive coordinator Jacques Chapdelaine. “It’s very similar,” said Harris, “and that’s exciting to me because I did really well in that offence. “It’s a west coast-style offence and a lot of the terminology is similar but there are some new things to learn as well, and I think it’s going to evolve as well as he sees the kinds of guys he has.”

AND

- reader beware, Darren Cameron has a blog...and the contents are positive http://www.bluebombers.com/2016/04/27/mini-camp-recap/ 

things like "Drew Willy gushed about what he’s seen throughout the camp, including the post-practice offensive meetings (receivers and quarterbacks) Drew ran in the main team meeting room that went well into the late afternoon." Yech. 

ALSO

On Periscope, O'Shea explained how this no-defence minicamp will be good for everyone..and the explanation actually made sense. This time the defence will have to be ready because the O will be more primed. More snaps can be evaluated. He says the minicamp all offence thing can change based on what the team feels it needs at that time. From minicamps straight into interviewing potential draft picks tonight. Also, evaluating the roster as it stands and where it needs to be. In case your curious, O'Shea had sneakers on again today..

https://twitter.com/wpg_bluebombers/status/725362813330288640

SNEAKERS!!!!!  WTF kind of **** is this!?!?!

15 hours ago, blitzmore said:

a few observations...

speed...speed...speed. Virtually all the receivers and both running backs. Lochard not as fast as Harris but not a slouch either. Catches well out of the backfield. Harris looks very good, running and catching out of the backfield.

The receivers? Did I say speed? All looked very good catching passes, but beside my favs, Dressler and Smith, all the rest except for two were catching consistently rather than dropping. The two exceptions were #72 Pinkard and #70 R. Collins, who both dropped a few. Particularly impressive for me was Spencer Davis #88...tons of speed and makes it look easy catching whatever is thrown his way.

Yes, there was no fodder.  I'm not even sure what they will use to cut some of these guys.  Some were a bit taller, some a bit shorter, but all were fast, all demonstrated great catching technique, all were blocking well and hitting their landmarks on the field.  Over five practises each will have dropped a pass or two, but no one stood out to me as having bad hands.  They all looked like they could help this team win games.

15 hours ago, blitzmore said:

Willy was on yesterday morning as was Nichols. But Davis who I understand was good the day before was overthrowing and inaccurate many times.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thiscantberealthiscantberealthiscantbereal

I guess I probably needed a bucket of ice water anyways at this point.

31 minutes ago, mbrg said:

Yes, there was no fodder.  I'm not even sure what they will use to cut some of these guys.  Some were a bit taller, some a bit shorter, but all were fast, all demonstrated great catching technique, all were blocking well and hitting their landmarks on the field.  Over five practises each will have dropped a pass or two, but no one stood out to me as having bad hands.  They all looked like they could help this team win games.

A D ready to smash in their heads if they touch the ball, that'll help separate the wheat from the corn.

13 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

You have to wonder just how good this offense could be if they were able to play against no defence all year. 

In the immortal words of Ted Cruz, "the amazing thing about that Basketball ring (that Football arena, that Hockey patch ... choose your own adjective) "...

17 hours ago, blitzmore said:

Went to camp yesterday morning....wanted to comment on the Fan experience at camp. Walking up to the Bomber store there was a Bomber Ambassador standing outside. "Good morning going to camp?" Yes. "Would you like a roster of the players?" yes please. "Have a great day!"

Into the store girl behind counter "Good Morning"...just before leaving the store another Ambassador..."hope you have a good time" I said never had this happen before...he says "we're here to serve you" Wow...step outside another one "seating is to your left, hope you enjoy"

This was a very good experience by whoever organized this!!!

a few observations...

I didn't really pay attention to the O line. Looks like we will probably have many more quick hitters this year, and screen passes in different ways.

Walked away pretty impressed despite no defense.

Hope you didn't like him too much as they just released him!

Edited by Bomber_fanaddict

I applaud the Bombers for recognizing that this kind of camp is something they should try. It focuses on bringing the offence together and working solely on routes, techniques and the CFL motion. It's more of a "learning the offence" type of camp. Of course, evaluation is always in the background, but it is important to have the O ready, as a group, when they face a defense. This gives them a step up.

Its not the kind of camp, I don't think, that you would run every year, but it's also not the same old, same old that we have been witnessing, with very questionable results.

This regime has already done their homework with evaluations and continue to do so, watching film on this minicamp. If they see more promising prospects, they will adjust the roster accordingly. See today's cuts as evidence.

Drew Willy was sceptical about this kind of camp, but he has been converted. You can tell he's excited about the different kinds of routes now available for the QBs to throw to, and for the receivers to get open.  http://www.bluebombers.com/2016/04/27/mini-camp-day-3-drew-willy/