Chris Jones to Saskatchewan Roughriders confirmed

blueandgoldguy

Craig Smith out in Sask....next move is John Murphy in as VP PP.

Yep I believe the good DR.CFL called this one a couple days ago before anyone in media was talking about it

Indeed good call.

I hate to say it, but i LOVE what's going on in Saskatchewan right now.

Yep. Next year they will contend, following year likely win it all.

Must be nice 

It look like they opened the vault spend a lot on their front office and coaches.

I'm guessing their next move would be trading for Franklin.... then tamper and get a deal done with Trevor Harris and sign him up in Feb 9.... then release the high-priced Durant

Going to be interesting for sure in SK over the next few years to see how it all pans out.

How many times in other organizations have they spent and spent (see Maple Leafs) and have it blow up in their faces.  Not saying it is going to happen there, but it would be nice to see.

Although I will say, if I had the choice, I'd rather it be the Bombers making these hires.

It look like they opened the vault spend a lot on their front office and coaches.

There was an interesting article (don't know if anyone has linked it here) that talked about the need to implement an "administrative cap" .. thought it was on point.  I'll see if I can dig it up ..

edit: here it is - http://3downnation.com/2015/12/08/its-time-again-for-a-cfl-spending-cap-it-saved-the-riders-once/

There was an interesting article (don't know if anyone has linked it here) that talked about the need to implement an "administrative cap" .. thought it was on point.  I'll see if I can dig it up ..

I believe it's in 3downnation

Yep I believe the good DR.CFL called this one a couple days ago before anyone in media was talking about it

Indeed good call.

I hate it... because it's in Sask... I'd love it if it were here...

On another note... if Sask has dropped Craig Smith... we should try to get him ASAP... fire McManus or Goevia, doesn't really matter to me....

Indeed good call.

I hate it... because it's in Sask... I'd love it if it were here...

On another note... if Sask has dropped Craig Smith... we should try to get him ASAP... fire McManus or Goevia, doesn't really matter to me....

lol why? Craig Smith is horrible. The only team that has brought in worse talent than us import wise over the past number of years.

lol why? Craig Smith is horrible. The only team that has brought in worse talent than us import wise over the past number of years.

I've heard he's quite good on the Canadian side... perhaps my sources were incorrect... I forget where I read it...

Maybe here? 

Craig Smith is an elite #CFL personnel man. His expertise, and relationships, on Canadian scouting side are top notch. Would be a great hire

Going to be interesting for sure in SK over the next few years to see how it all pans out.

How many times in other organizations have they spent and spent (see Maple Leafs) and have it blow up in their faces.  Not saying it is going to happen there, but it would be nice to see.

Although I will say, if I had the choice, I'd rather it be the Bombers making these hires.

Will be interesting to see if a guy like Murphy can stand being there with all the other cooks in the kitchen or if he chafes.  Jones fancies himself a personnel guy too, Hufnagel trusted Murphy and gave him a lot of responsibility.  Jones seems to be a bit more of a hands-on control freak (plays a lot better as a coach) than a manager.  You also have O'Day with a longer history there, been the guy in charge and involved in decision-making before.

Should be a good management team to turn it around for them. That being said, even Hufnagel + Murphy didn't win the Grey Cup every year.

Absolutely right. No one wins every year. A lot of the over the top excitement with fans is just the steam blowing off from our horrible 3-15 season. I'm just hoping we can be a solid team, a team that is the hunt for the playoffs and be a contender every year. I think we will have that

I've heard he's quite good on the Canadian side... perhaps my sources were incorrect... I forget where I read it...

Maybe here? 

Craig Smith is an elite #CFL personnel man. His expertise, and relationships, on Canadian scouting side are top notch. Would be a great hire

His resume looks like it was typed by his Mom.

Except she forgot the P.S.  He's a very nice boy.

edit: here it is - http://3downnation.com/2015/12/08/its-time-again-for-a-cfl-spending-cap-it-saved-the-riders-once/

I imagine to pull Murphy away from the Stamps they're paying him in the ball-park of $400,000, Jones at $600,000+ add in $250,000 to keep O'Day around and two more years of paying Chamblin and Taman $750,000 to stay away.  That pay-roll is enough to make the accountant's eyes water.

This reminds me of the days when Edmonton could 'buy' their way into the Grey Cup. The Bombers had some good teams back then, but not the same purse strings. Result? 5 Grey Cups in a row for Edmonton.

Another result? The SMS.

Saskatchewan probably threw a few TD passes with these hires, and everybody is stunned...and jealous. But could any other team have afforded these moves? I highly doubt it.

Good or bad, it's moving forward...