Around The League Off Season Discussion

Noeller

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

This is great news for the Bombers. Completely win-win.

If Jones is successful, this lowers the cost of rookie NI O-linemen. That's a win for us.

If unsuccessful, Jones creates a situation where players are less interested in signing with them. That's a win for us.

Grab some popcorn and enjoy.

Bonus, any player including Henoc who is rep'd by Hardaway will not likely sign a contract with Chris Jones until hell is finished freezing over.

3 hours ago, bearpants said:

There's no way signing one player at a lower rate will suddenly set a new market for top picks... that's why this whole argument is BS... the market is already set... last year's first few picks and this year's first few signed picks are what the Riders will have to pay St John... otherwise he'll never suit up for them

I suspect JSJ is way past the point of ever being a Rider. I'm not here to defend anyone because TBH I'm just as surprised at all this as anyone. Frankly not too happy to see us lose a pick like this either. Wondering if the Riders are trying to push it over the top to get a rookie salary cap implemented in the league. I'm not buying the market correction crap either. But seriously guys, what right does a guy who has never played a game have to ask for 400k? stupidity all around on this one. St John in a way made Jones look bad by walking away from whatever deal they had discussed. Guys like Jones don't get made a fool of. No way Jones forgives and forgets. Highly doubt St John plays for riders. And as much as you guys like to joke, not sure how St John doesn't look bad in this too and it will effect his dealings with other teams. One thing is for sure, a very odd situation

Edited by Ripper

2 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Would you trade our #1 next year for him? With a canadian on D maybe?

I'm awfully tempted to.....worst case scenario, next year is a draft where we miss out on a dynamo and JSJ bolts for the NFL and stays as soon as he's able. 

Best case scenario, we win the GC this year and have a late pick anyhow, and JSJ stays here for years and years......

1 minute ago, Jpan85 said:

Would you trade our #1 next year for him? With a canadian on D maybe?

I interested in hearing the outside thoughts. Does St John look bad in this? How welcome is he in dressing rooms in other cities? Do vets on other teams applaud this? or think shut up rookie and prove yourself. 

3 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

He's going to be way behind Chungh in development, not worth the same money imo.

I was curious about this, too....if he's not ready to step in and play right off the hop, then I don't know if it's worth it...

A 2nd round pick next year plus rights to one of Mulumba or Bilukidi?

If they want a player who can play now, then Neufeld and a 3rd rounder?

The second option would affect our current plans of playing 3 OL (regardless of how we all think Neufeld will be injured and we won't be starting 3 OL anyway, the team still thinks he'll play) as JSJ is not likely to start at any point this year. But if we do think we have the depth to start 2 Canadian receivers or someone in the secondary, then either of those trade options I think are a steal for us.

Of course, it's entirely likely that Stubborn Jones doesn't budge and JSJ sits.

What's the deal with that? Is there a time period where he can become a free agent? Or are his rights with Saskatchewan in perpetuity until he either signs and completes a contract, they trade him, or they outright release his rights?