Around The League Off Season Discussion

Noeller

I wouldn't compare Kelly to Jones,    Jones has a proven winning system while Kelly had his guys running into each other and getting confused.  

Personality wise yes both are arrogant and will not be liked by the players ,  media or fans.  

10 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

as a coach I think Jones is far superior, though has he ever gone to a team that was in the shape the riders are/were in years previously? Even great coaches would have some trouble managing a bad team. I was more referring the Jones the GM and from what i can tell he's been very hit and miss and some really questionable moves (if accurate) such as getting rid of/lowballing fan favorites, irregardless of what Taman had lined up for them. then signing flakes like price and trading away picks. Bartel, Gainey, apparently lowballing his #1 pick.  It will really be telling what kind of stuff he's really made of after this year but right now it looks like the failure kelly set himself up for without even playing a game  

You have some fair points. I disagree but can understand why you feel the way you do. I think the Riders are a better team than many give them credit for. Guess we'll see how it goes.

Compared to who tho? I mean, the Riders have had the biggest turnover on that roster since the Mike Kelly regime in Winnipeg. The Riders are a bunch of unknowns, their Canadian depth is lacking also. Will the Riders be better than last year? I'm not sure at this point in time I can say Yes they will be.  They are the team with by far the most question marks heading in to the season, and honestly, I feel QB is one of their biggest question marks, Let's not Pretend that Durant hasn't been injured badly the last 2 seasons... In my opinion, it's pretty likely that he gets hurt again. Then what? 

On 26/05/2016 at 9:25 PM, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

This from the same source that reported Denmark signing for $65,000, so I'd take it with a grain of salt.

Are you referring to the CFL News twitter account? Murray McCormick of the Leader-Post is the one who reported those numbers.

There is also a financial hurdle to overcome. The Riders are believed to be offering the league’s minimum rookie salary of $52,000 in the first year of the contract with a bump to $53,000 in the second year. St. John is seeking a contract in line with what the top first-round selections in the 2015 draft were paid.

In 2015, the Ottawa Redblacks selected centre Alex Mateas with the first overall pick and the Winnipeg Blue Bombers picked guard Sukh Chungh with the second pick. According to Herb Zurkowsky of the Montreal Gazette, Mateas and Chungh were both signed to base salaries of approximately $80,000, with playing bonuses of $20,000.

http://leaderpost.com/sports/football/cfl/saskatchewan-roughriders/saskatchewan-roughriders-first-overall-pick-josiah-st-john-may-miss-the-start-of-training-camp

5 hours ago, Floyd said:

Really starting to wonder if Jones and Murphy's 'lowball' offer wasn't a counter to the ridiculous ask of $400k...

That was according to Rod Pedersen so take it with a huge grain of salt.

Edited by Jacquie

7 hours ago, iso_55 said:

Murray McCormick & the Leader Post printed it so I'd say that the stories of the Riders offering St John the league minimum is true.

McCormick is a world class flake and is inferior in accuracy to even Pederson. There isn't a member of the Regina media worth a lick of salt, They are all hacks. That's what happens when your city is small enough to throw Frisbee across....you don't get the cream of the media crop.

Christ sakes...that is high, but leave it to RP to spin it as "JSJ WANTS 400K!!!11!" I'm sure they'll find a way to meet in the middle. Hardaway is just gonna be a **** about it as long as possible.

1 minute ago, bearpants said:

Reportedly St John was asking for 400K over 3 seasons

Not an outrageous starting point with bonuses. The folks at Riderfans are screaming bloody murder that a first overall draft pick might cost them 100k a year if he plays well on his initial contract. Are they totally clueless as to how cheap that is if he is a productive starter? If he signs say for 90k+20k playing bonus and doesn't win a job, they have an excellent young backup with upside for 90k per. If he starts they have a starter for 110k. I'm not sure why they are so angry at JSJ. They should be mad at Jones. He needs to get his first overall into camp and quit chasing players away because he doesn't agree with the market value they have.

On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎28 at 9:53 PM, Taynted_Fayth said:

holy **** i mentioned the eerie similarities with kelly and jones so far a while ago on riderfans and got **** on like i was paul mccallums house

Of course they would. There is a huge love-in right now for him from some of the internet bullies over there. I see a ton of HUGE similarities between them and I will list them so that Ripper can't say their are none:

Both men hired into more than one position despite a lack of experience in them.

Both men known for having big egos and being bullheaded

Both men arrived on the job and immediately started getting rid of fan favorites

Both men hired John Murphy to provide the talent

Both men highly polarizing amongst the fan base

Both men controversial in their approach to negotiating contracts

Both men with record turnover of players from the previous year

Both men taking over from Taman and his SMS horror show

Both men saying that the mess left behind will impact operations for this year

Both men highly opinionated

Both men signing players known for being questionable in the dressing room

Edited by gcn11

Just now, Mike said:

Heenan didn't make anywhere near that much in his first year.

the 400k is a ridiculous ask - that's not the issue that I'm laughing about over on Riderfans. The thread is a great read right now.

Rider Stronson is losing it. His "market correction" line was great. It reminds me of their FA thread. Blame Walters for inflating salaries, until their GM does it too, then pretend it's different.

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

the 400k is a ridiculous ask - that's not the issue that I'm laughing about over on Riderfans. The thread is a great read right now.

It's a starting point Mike. You counter and they counter and in the end it's like 3 years for 320k....and that's reasonable.

9 minutes ago, Mike said:

There are so many issues to pick from over there. Tell us which one is making you laugh. When they were trying to suggest that Jones is doing this for the good of the league to protect it from big bad Kyle Walters?

4 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

There are so many issues to pick from over there. Tell us which one is making you laugh. When they were trying to suggest that Jones is doing this for the good of the league to protect it from big bad Kyle Walters?

Pretty much.

As long as by "they", we all know it's two specific posters.

7 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Rider Stronson is losing it. His "market correction" line was great. It reminds me of their FA thread. Blame Walters for inflating salaries, until their GM does it too, then pretend it's different.

That was some of the best spin I've heard. It was aardvaarkian.