Around The League Off Season Discussion

Noeller

CFL News @CFL_News

.@HunterZThompson on @TSN690: @garylawless suggested socking #Esks w/ loss of 1st rd pick & $ for compensation (if tampering found)." #CFL

Although I feel that Esks has nothing to do with Thorpe's resignation, I actually want this to happen since that will push our first 2 picks in the first round (to #8 and #9). ;)

CFL News @CFL_News

.@HunterZThompson on @TSN690: @garylawless suggested socking #Esks w/ loss of 1st rd pick & $ for compensation (if tampering found)." #CFL

Although I feel that Esks has nothing to do with Thorpe's resignation, I actually want this to happen since that will push our first 2 picks in the first round (to #8 and #9). ;)

I think they'll have a hard time enforcing a penalty of that magnitude when they can point out that tampering is pretty much "standard practice" in the CFL.  It's time for the CFL to start following it's own rules on personnel movement before the courts get involved.  This certainly gives Orridge a mandate to accomplish something major during his tenure.

This Thorpe situation is just so different because it's a blatantly lateral move, and there was no attempt to contact the Als for permission to speak to the guy. It's, quite simply, a disgruntled employee looking to get out of a pretty iron clad contract. If you don't say no to this, then why bother having contracts??

It will definitely be interesting to see what happens here.

I agree Thorpe shouldn't be allowed out of his contract

But he is now clearly disillusioned with Montreal. Does Popp want a DC whose heart isn't in it. What kind of friction would there now be between the two of them if he goes back to Montreal.

CFL News @CFL_News

I think they'll have a hard time enforcing a penalty of that magnitude when they can point out that tampering is pretty much "standard practice" in the CFL.  It's time for the CFL to start following it's own rules on personnel movement before the courts get involved.  This certainly gives Orridge a mandate to accomplish something major during his tenure.

If there is any kind of tampering, Orridge should come down hard on the Eskimos, fine-wise, and draft-pick wise. It's not as if Ed Hervey doesn't understand what's going on and is naive to the rules.

The Alouettes believed they had a solid contract with Thorpe, and they did.

They'll have to be compensated. Take a pick or picks away from the Eskimos and let them appeal that ruling.

Fine Hervey..hard, for doing exactly what he knew to be doing.

Fine the Eskimo org., because you have to.

Orridge has to be tough here, and set precedent.

In nine days on the job, Jones has been many things; ruthless, quick, smart, and dare I say flawless. - @jamienye #CFL #Riders

*barf*  Really .. how much can someone **** up in 9 days on the job?  

Dear Santa,

I would like 1 Saskatchewan RoughRiders season completely in the tank in 2016.....

Sincerely,

Noeller

Sorry Noeller,  even though for the most part you have been a pretty good boy this year, I will not be able to grant your wish this year. But as a gift that can still be enjoyed you are getting a Edmonton Eskimo season instead.  

Santa.

CFL News @CFL_News

If there is any kind of tampering, Orridge should come down hard on the Eskimos, fine-wise, and draft-pick wise. It's not as if Ed Hervey doesn't understand what's going on and is naive to the rules.

They'll have to be compensated. Take a pick or picks away from the Eskimos and let them appeal that ruling.

Hervey has been fined twice already, so obviously the fine isn't getting it done. Eskimo 1st round pick goes to the Allouettes should get the message out there.

CFL News @CFL_News

Hervey has been fined twice already, so obviously the fine isn't getting it done. Eskimo 1st round pick goes to the Allouettes should get the message out there.

Problem is, you can't exactly create further penalties for these types of things, like surrendering draft picks to other teams, unless it has been predetermined in writing.  I'm sure the Esks would have a major issue with the league making them the example just because they were the first ones to do it. 

• I haven't really been following the

Still no evidence of the Eskimos tempering with Noel Thorpe.

Gary Lawless likes to use a lot of unconfirmed speculation in his reporting.

The situation alone is evidence. He didn't just decide to quit and coincidentally get scooped up by Edmonton as finders keepers.

I haven't really been following the story on Thorpe and I am not 100% sure on the "Tampering Rules". But if Thorpe talks to Edmonton about a job then quits and joins them is that still tampering? Or is it only tampering if Edmonton goes to Thorpe without asking permission.

The situation alone is evidence. He didn't just decide to quit and coincidentally get scooped up by Edmonton as finders keepers.

I haven't really been following the story on Thorpe and I am not 100% sure on the "Tampering Rules". But if Thorpe talks to Edmonton about a job then quits and joins them is that still tampering? Or is it only tampering if Edmonton goes to Thorpe without asking permission.

...and, along with this, good luck to anyone trying to prove which way this actually happened...

Yes, it might be tough to prove, but...

If no evidence of mEDdling can be found, then it still leaves Thorpe with a valid contract. He has to honour it or sit for 2 years until the contract expires.

If this is Thorpe's initiative, then he severely mishandled it. Is Thorpe not thinking straight, or was there an idea planted there by an outfit?

I suppose if another team wants to take over that contract, then I guess something can be worked out.

Montreal, in some way, will have to be compensated for their loss. This, I believe is where draft picks, or roster players, comes into the picture.

If nothing is done, then the situation can continue and leave contracts virtually unenforceable.

A strong statement should be made now.

In nine days on the job, Jones has been many things; ruthless, quick, smart, and dare I say flawless. - @jamienye #CFL #Riders

*barf*  Really .. how much can someone **** up in 9 days on the job?  

Dear Santa,

I would like 1 Saskatchewan RoughRiders season completely in the tank in 2016.....

Sincerely,

Noeller

Sorry Noeller,  even though for the most part you have been a pretty good boy this year, I will not be able to grant your wish this year. But as a gift that can still be enjoyed you are getting a Edmonton Eskimo season instead.  

- Krampus

FYP.

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure even if Thorpe contacts Edm about a job... their only response should be "sorry we can't speak to someone under contract about that"...