Around The League Off Season Discussion

Noeller

1 hour ago, B-F-F-C said:

He's a nice guy but I wouldn't say that he's a good coach.  While he was the receivers coach.  Did we ever have what I would call an elite receiving corps?  Did he have success in developing young receivers?   

There's nothing there to prove he was a good coach.    

If you say so.  I'm not going to judge him based on results when he wasn't given much to work with in regards to receivers, quarterbacks, and especially offensive coordinators.  From all accounts from players and fellow coaches, he is a good coach, and he is also a guy with 4 years of receiver coaching under his belt.  Good enough to be on Chris Jones' staff obviously, but what does he know?  I'm sure we'll be better off with whatever rookie coach Lapo digs up...

3 hours ago, Atomic said:

If you say so.  I'm not going to judge him based on results when he wasn't given much to work with in regards to receivers, quarterbacks, and especially offensive coordinators.  From all accounts from players and fellow coaches, he is a good coach, and he is also a guy with 4 years of receiver coaching under his belt.  Good enough to be on Chris Jones' staff obviously, but what does he know?  I'm sure we'll be better off with whatever rookie coach Lapo digs up...

Until a receivers coach is actually hired, we don't know how good the coach will be. Seems like you're assuming that he won't be.

I would say that as previously mentioned Howell had worked with LaPo before and perhaps for his own reasons decided he want d to work elsewhere. He saw Sask as a better opportunity. You have two teams Sask and Wpg at somewhere near rock bottom. Sask has the largest luxury of being in a rebuild. On the other hand Winnipeg's staff is on life support and if things don't turn around quickly the plug will be pulled. So where would you choose to work under those circumstances?

4 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Drew Tate signed an extension with the Stamps: http://www.stampeders.com/2016/01/07/tate-signs-extension/

That decision I do not get. Tate can start in this league & has gone from this maniac on the field who would tear off anyones head in the huddle wanting to win so  badly to this meek holder on field goals as well a BLM's backup who never plays. It akes no sense to me. I thought he'd have left last year. it's like all the fight has gone out of him. 

These guys don't make a tonne of money .. when it comes to head injuries, the long term consequences of dealing with repeated trauma .. guys are starting to seriously evaluate risk / reward when it comes to continuing their playing careers.  It's one reason why I'll never begrudge pro's (in certain sports) who look to maximize their earnings .. the life they live after their glory years is not always filled with roses.