Around The League Off Season Discussion

Noeller

http://press.cfl.ca/commissioner-orridge-releases-statement-on-noel-thorpe-matter

Thursday, December 17, 2015 — TORONTO -- The Canadian Football League has announced the following statement:

Commissioner Jeffrey L. Orridge has done a thorough and complete investigation of the facts surrounding the Noel Thorpe matter and has determined that Thorpe’s purported resignation from his contract with the Montreal Alouettes on Tuesday December 15, 2015 in order to secure a coaching position with the Edmonton Eskimos was invalid based on the terms of his contract with Montreal and the existing by-laws of the CFL.  

Thorpe is currently still under contract to Montreal and is not free to resign from his existing contract to accept employment from Edmonton, or any other CFL
Club, unless written permission is received from Montreal in advance and subject to the current protocol of advance approval from the League office.

Commissioner Orridge has also determined that Edmonton did not violate the existing CFL by-laws and will not be subject to any discipline in this matter.

Wowy....so Thorpe's gotta try and mend fences with Popp and Co......

John Bowman has been pretty vocal about this so it'll be interesting to see how they play for him this year.  Bowman pretty much called Thorpe over-rated, saying that he inherited an already good defense.

Bowman crying to Popp last year got Higgins fired so he is going to try again?

Wowy....so Thorpe's gotta try and mend fences with Popp and Co......

I'm not so sure. I'm guessing Thorpe isn't too happy with being passed over for the HC job a few times now. I know I wouldn't want a disgruntled D coordinator on my staff. Especially with the offence the ALs have right now. Wouldn't be surprised to Hear Thorpe is getting fired in the next few days 

Be perfect if this situation ended up screwing both the Esks AND the Als ... (Insert maniacal laughter) Bwahahahahahaha

Pretty much how I feel about all things. I don't buy into this "Anything that's good for the league..." stuff. I've suffered enough without a championship in 25 years.....**** EVERYONE that's not us....

Be perfect if this situation ended up screwing both the Esks AND the Als ... (Insert maniacal laughter) Bwahahahahahaha

Pretty much how I feel about all things. I don't buy into this "Anything that's good for the league..." stuff. I've suffered enough without a championship in 25 years.....**** EVERYONE that's not us....

Going on the tombstone

CFL News

CFL News – ‏@CFL_News

Interesting development. #CFL #AlsMTL

Jim Popp talked to Noel Thorpe last night. Popp said he still wants Thorpe back on the Alouettes' coaching staff. #CFL

— Didier Orméjuste (@DidierRDS)

December 18, 2015

———— further update–——— from Thorpe:)

"Last night, I had a conversation and opened dialogue with Montreal Alouettes President, Mark Weightman, about my situation with the team and future standing.

After our conversation, it was confirmed in my mind that, in the best interest of both parties, our professional relationship could not continue forward. I confirmed this in writing to Mr. Weightman late in the evening.

My employment ended yesterday prior to the CFL moratorium imposed on coaching movement."

Farhan Lalji (@FarhanLaljiTSN)

2015-12-17, 6:25 PM

Jim Popp on Thorpe: "We fully expect Noel to fulfill the final 2 years of his contract and are hopeful that he is ready to get back to work”

Farhan Lalji (@FarhanLaljiTSN)

2015-12-17, 6:27 PM

2/2... Popp adds "there are no hard feelings." But he still hasn't spoken to Thorpe since commissioner's ruling today. #Alouettes #CFL

Is there any CFL rule against accepting compensation for tearing up a coaching contract?

Could Edmonton trade to get Thorpe? Popp could play this like Desjardins played the Kevin Glenn thing: stay cool and maximize return. I guess the only trouble with that analogy is that Popp doesn't have anyone obvious waiting in the wings to take over as DC.