Around The League Off Season Discussion

Noeller

First round pick for two seasons seems fair to me.

If by some chance you are serious, what should the Regina team have to give Edmonton for taking their Head coach?

They gave permission though.

Do you think it would be fair if Steinhauer quit and signed to coach another team despite Hamilton saying no way.

You can't just allow people to ignore valid contracts.

Morally Ottawa should let the guy go..legally they shouldn't.

And yet anyone can give proper notice and quit a job in the real world.

If by some chance you are serious, what should the Regina team have to give Edmonton for taking their Head coach?

Do you think it would be fair if Steinhauer quit and signed to coach another team despite Hamilton saying no way.

Except they gave the Esks permission to talk as well. 

The commissioner is going to look at past coaching promotions and recommend to Ottawa that to be the "standard".  If Ottawa doesn't listen to the league after being gifted players and hosting a Grey Cup then I will have absolutely no use for the franchise and I hope Orridge has a long memory.  This is a legit promotion, not a paper one. 

Gary Lawless - Orridge’s deft handling of Maas dispute a much-needed win

http://www.tsn.ca/orridge-s-deft-handling-of-maas-dispute-a-much-needed-win-1.409165

"Orridge managed to extricate the league and two of its member clubs from a potentially messy custody battle over Jason Maas. The Edmonton Eskimos got to announce Maas as their new head coach and the Ottawa RedBlacks will have their day in mediation court.

Accounts from a number of the parties involved the Monday morning conference call paint Orridge as being clear, concise and fair on the issue at hand. He presented an option that would allow all involved to move forward and, maybe most importantly, allow the league to save face.

It took Orridge just 20 minutes to win support for his plan and put it into motion. For a commissioner still in his first year on the job, battles between clubs are landmines that not only can explode in the moment, but also leave lasting marks on relationships going forward."

Under the ironic heading -

Arash Madani – ‏@ArashMadani

In 2005, Ed Hervey agreed on terms to play with the Ottawa Renegades. Then bailed. Ten years later, Hervey vs. Ottawa encore une fois. #CFL

10:35 AM - 14 Dec 2015

And yet anyone can give proper notice and quit a job in the real world.

Not of you have a contract that contains non-competes. People with contracts are happy to keep making money when they're fired because of the "valid" contract. Works both ways.

Some great info in the scrolling Twitter feed.....Hunt apparently quoted as saying "We wouldn't be doing this if we felt we were hurting Jason Maas..." but then apparently Maas "stormed into the building" yesterday to "resign" (see: "Hey Hunt, go **** yourself...")

I'm just loving how much of an ******* Jeff Hunt and the RBs look in all of this. **** them and all the circle-jerking about that franchise we had to endure this year...

It sounds like it came up after the fact and not when permission was given. The article I read on TSN said that Ottawa gave the Esks permission on Dec 7th with no mention of compensation. Jeff Hunt then contacted Len Rhodes, after the fact, and informed him that they would not release Maas from his contract unless they received compensation.

What you state is true, but, what you omitted was this statement:

*"In this circumstance the Eskimos knew we were withholding consent to hire Jason until the matter of compensation had been addressed. They simply ignored that request and hired him anyway."

*"The Eskimos decided not to seek compensation from Saskatchewan when the Roughriders hired then-Esks head coach Chris Jones as their new head coach, general manager and vice-president of football operations."

*By Dave Naylor, Gary Lawless and Ryan Rishaug

Ta-da.....drama in the offseason.

I dont recall reading that first part anywhere in the article. Unless it was edited to add that quote after the fact, I must have skipped that paragraph. It is a valid point,though I just dont see how you can enforce that this late in the game.

Its a messy situation no matter how you look at it because, though technically there is nothing stopping teams from asking for compensation, it has never been done before. Coaches have been released from their contracts for promotions from the beginning of time in the cfl. Every single team has been the victim, and the victor, of this very situation numerous times... without all the hoopla.

If the Esks do end up having to compensate the Redblacks, it changes the entire landscape of the cfl. How does one determine fair compensation? Roster player? Draft picks? Cash? How much did the Renegades give in return for their coaching staff?

I dont look at it as though the Esks "chose" not to ask for compensation. No team in history has asked for compensation. They followed the protocal that has been in place for 100+ years. The media created this beast in the wake of the Chris Jones' signing and now the Redblacks are trying to cash in while the issue is at the forefront.

Do I blame them? No not really. Why would you not try? At the same time, I think its a dangerous precedence to set at the drop of a dime. Some random on twitter says they are asking for a draft pick and cash. Now I dont know if thats true but is it fair? Should it be less/more? How do you determine that in the next 12 hours and how many teams would agree to this? Redblacks want it now because they are about to lose their OC.. what happens when they are the ones looking?

I definately think this is an issue that should be looked at this offseason. But for the future... not tomorrow.

There is something about longstanding tradition and culture: "the way we do things around here"

Yes in the NFL there can be compensation on theses kinds of matters and we have seen the splashy headlines on them ... but this is not the NFL

We have our own rules here, unwritten in many cases but very real and our modus operandi (especially roster/protection stuff)

Rule breakers have been "shunned" in the past .... Ottawa may have a rude awakening if the defy these "rules"

And the purge begins in Riderland (not a lot of surprises) ..

• nternational running back Anthony Allen
  • International safety Tyron Brackenridge
  • International defensive back Weldon Brown
  • International defensive back Marshay Green
  • International defensive back Macho Harris
  • National linebacker Nathan Kanya
  • National defensive back Hugo Lopez
  • International defensive back Terrell Maze
  • National fullback Scott McHenry
  • International defensive back Junior Mertile
  • National linebacker Kyle Norris
  • International receiver Jamel Richardson
  • International defensive lineman Cameron Sheffield
  • International quarterback Blake Sims
  • International receiver Taj Smith
  • International running back Chad Spann
  • International defensive back Alex Suber
  • International defensive lineman Derek Walker
  • National linebacker Ryan Wellman

I wonder how many people are going to suggest we pick up any of these guys.

Not a single guy off that list I would want.

I liked Terrell Maze. Chad Spann looked good for the little we saw of him. Otherwise no surprises, aging players making too much money