Around The League Off Season Discussion

Noeller

More Calgary..

What are he chances the Stamps lose this guy?

Scott Mitchell – Verified account ‏@SUNMitchell

Whole lot of NFL interest in Eric Rogers. He’s got 11 workouts scheduled so far. Patriots done, #49ers up next Monday, per sources. #CFL

10:04 AM - 13 Dec 2015

Tedford out in BC, Cortez soon to follow.

And no, we don't want Cortez. The game has passed him by.

I'm nuetral on Cortez but that's a bit harsh.

What's missing from his approach that reflects today's game?

Being grumpy and over the hill as someone else remarked isn't really a reason. Most coaches are grumpy all the time. Age is not a factor imo.

Yeah I wouldn't call Belichick a happy go lucky kind of guy.

It's a matter of a stipulation form Ottawa before allowing Edmonton to talk with Mass.

Something like:

"Sure, you can talk with him, but he's under contract. If it goes further, we want something to let him out of the contract".

Legally, I guess they're solid. I don't really know.

But, otherwise? Seems a little, I don't know? Off?

Depends on that contract and their viewpoint I guess.

It's a matter of a stipulation form Ottawa before allowing Edmonton to talk with Mass.

Something like:

"Sure, you can talk with him, but he's under contract. If it goes further, we want something to let him out of the contract".

Legally, I guess they're solid. I don't really know.

But, otherwise? Seems a little, I don't know? Off?

Depends on that contract and their viewpoint I guess.

It sounds like it came up after the fact and not when permission was given. The article I read on TSN said that Ottawa gave the Esks permission on Dec 7th with no mention of compensation. Jeff Hunt then contacted Len Rhodes, after the fact, and informed him that they would not release Maas from his contract unless they received compensation.

It sounds like it came up after the fact and not when permission was given. The article I read on TSN said that Ottawa gave the Esks permission on Dec 7th with no mention of compensation. Jeff Hunt then contacted Len Rhodes, after the fact, and informed him that they would not release Maas from his contract unless they received compensation.

What you state is true, but, what you omitted was this statement:

*"In this circumstance the Eskimos knew we were withholding consent to hire Jason until the matter of compensation had been addressed. They simply ignored that request and hired him anyway."

*"The Eskimos decided not to seek compensation from Saskatchewan when the Roughriders hired then-Esks head coach Chris Jones as their new head coach, general manager and vice-president of football operations."

*By Dave Naylor, Gary Lawless and Ryan Rishaug

Ta-da.....drama in the offseason.

http://www.tsn.ca/redblacks-seek-compensation-from-esks-for-maas-hiring-1.408645

What you state is true, but, what you omitted was this statement:

*"In this circumstance the Eskimos knew we were withholding consent to hire Jason until the matter of compensation had been addressed. They simply ignored that request and hired him anyway."

*"The Eskimos decided not to seek compensation from Saskatchewan when the Roughriders hired then-Esks head coach Chris Jones as their new head coach, general manager and vice-president of football operations."

*By Dave Naylor, Gary Lawless and Ryan Rishaug

Ta-da.....drama in the offseason.

I dont recall reading that first part anywhere in the article. Unless it was edited to add that quote after the fact, I must have skipped that paragraph. It is a valid point,though I just dont see how you can enforce that this late in the game.

Its a messy situation no matter how you look at it because, though technically there is nothing stopping teams from asking for compensation, it has never been done before. Coaches have been released from their contracts for promotions from the beginning of time in the cfl. Every single team has been the victim, and the victor, of this very situation numerous times... without all the hoopla.

If the Esks do end up having to compensate the Redblacks, it changes the entire landscape of the cfl. How does one determine fair compensation? Roster player? Draft picks? Cash? How much did the Renegades give in return for their coaching staff?

I dont look at it as though the Esks "chose" not to ask for compensation. No team in history has asked for compensation. They followed the protocal that has been in place for 100+ years. The media created this beast in the wake of the Chris Jones' signing and now the Redblacks are trying to cash in while the issue is at the forefront.

Do I blame them? No not really. Why would you not try? At the same time, I think its a dangerous precedence to set at the drop of a dime. Some random on twitter says they are asking for a draft pick and cash. Now I dont know if thats true but is it fair? Should it be less/more? How do you determine that in the next 12 hours and how many teams would agree to this? Redblacks want it now because they are about to lose their OC.. what happens when they are the ones looking?

I definately think this is an issue that should be looked at this offseason. But for the future... not tomorrow.