Around The League Off Season Discussion

Noeller

Lawless was talking about this earlier this morning. Made it seem like Ottawa has a huge upper hand purely based on the legal side of contracts.

This could get ugly, I see Edmonton having no leg to stand on and most likely they will have to give up something.

First round pick for two seasons seems fair to me.

I predict, Buono will end up with Berry and Marshall as his OC and DC respectively. :D

Wally seems to be dawdling along without an OC while other teams make coaching changes, much like he failed to address his QB situation last off-season, he appears to be losing his edge.  Seniority has it's advantages when it's on the other team.

Lawless was talking about this earlier this morning. Made it seem like Ottawa has a huge upper hand purely based on the legal side of contracts.

This could get ugly, I see Edmonton having no leg to stand on and most likely they will have to give up something.

How is that fair, when there's zero legal precedent....

CFL News – ‏@CFL_News

RT .@garylawless

so @EdmontonEsks and @REDBLACKS have agreed to mediation on Maas file @CFL #CFL

8:17 AM - 14 Dec 2015

Jax :) – ‏@jfeliciao

funniest comment today re: Maas situation came to me via text: "Well Ottawa is two years old, so this tantrum isn't surprising"

gary lawless

gary lawless – Verified account ‏@garylawless

Told CFL constitution does not provide commissioner to void valid contract. He can't force @REDBLACKS to release Maas. Dispute between teams

5:55 AM - 14 Dec 2015

gary lawless

Maas resigned from @REDBLACKS contract but that does not provide him right to work elsewhere. Labour law takes precedent over @cfl tradition

David William Naylor

David William Naylor – Verified account ‏@TSNDaveNaylor

It appears the Esks will be able to proceed with introducing Maas as their next head coach, while compensation matter will be settled later.

I absolutely agree with Mike on this one..beware Ottawa what you wish for, this is not an area you want to be front runners in.

I'd like Lawless to find the relevant piece of labour law for compensation. Labour law does not cover this. In any regular line of work the employee gives notice and moves on, even contract employees.

Precedence will matter too within the industry. Civil law is quite flexible this way. There's no professional sport in North America that compensates for assistant coaches leaving for a promotion.

gary lawless

Told CFL constitution does not provide commissioner to void valid contract. He can't force @REDBLACKS to release Maas. Dispute between teams

5:55 AM - 14 Dec 2015

gary lawless

Maas resigned from @REDBLACKS contract but that does not provide him right to work elsewhere. Labour law takes precedent over @cfl tradition

Is this Lawless' opinion? If he's citing some rule or law I'd like to see it. The govt is not likely to interfere in the CFL's business.

....Ottawa is going down a very bad road...They are going to be looked at as a pariah in this league, and will definitely be on the rest of teams in the league ' no discussion with our guys unless we are compensated list'...AND if this flys does Edmonton get to retroactively get compo. from the Riders...This looks like there's going to be a real 'gum fight' with a real loser in the offing..

From the Twitter feed there, it sounds like lots of this compensation talk is media driven, I'm sure Ottawa are being douches here too but.... how much? who knows, It seems like guys like Madani, Lawless even and the sorts are sort of pushing this compensation talk a little bit. Funny cuz the NHL just got rid of compensation for coaches signing with other teams.

Gotta admit tho, Never cared for Ottawa and their whining baby QB and now this to an extent, makes them pretty easy to dislike. Not to mention, their GM is a huge ****** too  oh yeah and the whole REDBLACKS thing too. YUP. Pretty easy to dislike them. Gonna make it a whole lot sweeter when they basically suck big time next season. 

From the Twitter feed there, it sounds like lots of this compensation talk is media driven, I'm sure Ottawa are being douches here too but.... how much? who knows, It seems like guys like Madani, Lawless even and the sorts are sort of pushing this compensation talk a little bit. Funny cuz the NHL just got rid of compensation for coaches signing with other teams.

Gotta admit tho, Never cared for Ottawa and their whining baby QB and now this to an extent, makes them pretty easy to dislike. Not to mention, their GM is a huge ****** too  oh yeah and the whole REDBLACKS thing too. YUP. Pretty easy to dislike them. Gonna make it a whole lot sweeter when they basically suck big time next season. 

Hey now. I hate the media for no good reason as much as the next guy but how can you say the media is driving this? Ottawa is driving this. None of this would happen if Ottawa just said "Good Luck" like every other CFL team has years and years. This is ridiculous. Did Ottawa only hire coaches that were unsigned? I don't know this but it would be amazing if they did. This is such a stupid move on their part. anyone with ambition would never sign there if Ottawa gets their way.

What really makes no sense here is this isn't a lateral move, It's not like Maas is going from OC to OC, he's going from OC to Head Coach... Head Coach and OC technically but last time I checked,  Head Coach is a step up from OC.

Basically if i was the Mediator, I would go... ok so he was OC in Ottawa, he's now Head Coach in Edmonton, That's a step up... CASE CLOSED. No compensation. 

What really makes no sense here is this isn't a lateral move, It's not like Maas is going from OC to OC, he's going from OC to Head Coach... Head Coach and OC technically but last time I checked,  Head Coach is a step up from OC.

Basically if i was the Mediator, I would go... ok so he was OC in Ottawa, he's now Head Coach in Edmonton, That's a step up... CASE CLOSED. No compensation. 

I assume the issue is that there is nothing in the contract that allows a person to break the contract for a promotion.  If there is, then yes case closed.

the "gentleman" part, I assume, is that teams release guys for promotions.  Ottawa is saying "why should we?  We have him under contract".

If by some chance you are serious, what should the Regina team have to give Edmonton for taking their Head coach?

They gave permission though.

Do you think it would be fair if Steinhauer quit and signed to coach another team despite Hamilton saying no way.

You can't just allow people to ignore valid contracts.

Morally Ottawa should let the guy go..legally they shouldn't.