Election 2015

FrostyWinnipeg

That's just completely false. While it's true harper did not have experience as PM before he became PM it's egregiously silly to compare Harper's experience when he became PM to JT's.

You wouldn't hire a mechanic with no experience working on cars. But PM? Sure no experience needed.

Edit to add, I posted both guys' resumes here in this thread when the subject first cAme up. Not sure if it was you or someone else saying Harper had the same level of experience as JT. But you're free to search for it.

Unless you have proof that Harper had experience leading another country before he ever became our Prime Minister. Otherwise he had NO EXPERIENCE being a Prime Ministwr.

Not to mention that Harper was a similar age as Trudeau is when he first became PM so it's not like he was some old guard politician either. You want an honest opinion? Trudeau is probably more qualified to be a rookie PM than Harper just because of who Trudeaus dad was. The guy has been around politics and politicians his whole life no doubt. In situations like that you have to be pretty ignorant to not pick things up. 

That's just completely false. While it's true harper did not have experience as PM before he became PM it's egregiously silly to compare Harper's experience when he became PM to JT's.

You wouldn't hire a mechanic with no experience working on cars. But PM? Sure no experience needed.

Edit to add, I posted both guys' resumes here in this thread when the subject first cAme up. Not sure if it was you or someone else saying Harper had the same level of experience as JT. But you're free to search for it.

Unless you have proof that Harper had experience leading another country before he ever became our Prime Minister. Otherwise he had NO EXPERIENCE being a Prime Ministwr.

And you know exactly what I meant. Good grief. You're better than that.

Unless you have proof that Harper had experience leading another country before he ever became our Prime Minister. Otherwise he had NO EXPERIENCE being a Prime Ministwr.

Not to mention that Harper was a similar age as Trudeau is when he first became PM so it's not like he was some old guard politician either. You want an honest opinion? Trudeau is probably more qualified to be a rookie PM than Harper just because of who Trudeaus dad was. The guy has been around politics and politicians his whole life no doubt. In situations like that you have to be pretty ignorant to not pick things up.

Oh Kay now. You're messing with me right?

No Iso's statement was bang on there is no revelant experience for running a country. But hey at least Harper is bringing in Ford to the rescue!Now that's experience for ya!

No cuss, when I heard about that it immediately brought this
:
Maybe Harper can use that quote:What eva I do what I want!

Unless you have proof that Harper had experience leading another country before he ever became our Prime Minister. Otherwise he had NO EXPERIENCE being a Prime Ministwr.

No one ever said he did. The comment is that the experience Harper had was far more relevant to the PM job than the experience JT has had.

Your comment is just idiotic. You are arguing a straw man and not arguing the point that is being made.

JT has done squat so far in his life. Why the Liberelas decided to go with him as thier leader has always puzzled me.

I'm saying that no one has the experience to run a country if they haven't done it before. Even an ass like Donald Trump. 

This analogy sucked the first time you used it too.

Is a nerdy economist like Harper a better fit to be a leader than a charismatic pretty boy that people gravitate too? Not as easy an answer as you think it is. A big part of the leader's job is to get people to like/support him. It's not like he's in charge of drafting every bill and personally preparing the budget. As long as he's got smart people in the background doing the dirty work he'll be fine. It doesn't matter if Harper is a supergenius if people can't stand him.

Is a nerdy economist like Harper a better fit to be a leader than a charismatic pretty boy that people gravitate too? Not as easy an answer as you think it is. A big part of the leader's job is to get people to like/support him. It's not like he's in charge of drafting every bill and personally preparing the budget. As long as he's got smart people in the background doing the dirty work he'll be fine. It doesn't matter if Harper is a supergenius if people can't stand him.

Great reminder. I would also add the need for emotionally intelligent people to go along with their IQ.

This article cuts to the heart of the matter, Harper's political games have not unified Canadians but have created divisiveness at every turn.  He has shown no respect for rules, government or his position and has used manipulation to achieve his "win at all cost" legacy.  I for one will be glad to move on from this era of negativity and onto a more positive approach to building a cohesive Canada.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/high-road-approach-may-pay-off-for-liberals/article26793261/

“The Conservatives are not our enemies. They are our friends.” – Justin Trudeau, Oct. 4, Brampton, Ont., at what the Liberals say was the largest political rally of the election campaign.

The Liberal Leader has spoken often about his desire to reach out, to bring Canadians together. It sounds hokey, but it contrasts with the Conservatives, who acknowledge their fondness for divisive wedge issues, the niqab being only the latest example.

If Mr. Trudeau wins on Monday, it will be an unprecedented accomplishment in Canadian politics. No party has ever come from third place to win a federal election. And if he reaches the goal, it will be in part because of his constructive and positive approach.

This not only sets him apart from Conservative Leader Stephen Harper, but also from Pierre Trudeau, who could be acid-tongued and polarizing. The son has never been as confrontational as the father, whose politics left Western Canada alienated. This in turn gave rise to Mr. Harper’s enmity and the Reform Party. How remarkably ironic would it be if the offspring of the prime minister who helped to create Mr. Harper is now the one who takes him down?

It was only a week or two ago that Justin Trudeau’s reaching-out approach looked to be in trouble. Opinion polls were showing that the issue over the wearing of the niqab was turning the campaign in Mr. Harper’s favour. But since last week, the Liberals have shot ahead of the Conservatives in most polls.

Stature was a problem for the untested Mr. Trudeau entering the campaign, but the niqab debate appears to have elevated it, putting him on the high road, while Mr. Harper, who has warned that he might extend the niqab-wearing ban to federal government workers, is decried for using race-baiting tactics to win votes.

Harper cabinet ministers Chris Alexander and Kellie Leitch fuelled the fire, announcing the establishment of an RCMP tip line. It’s more like a snitch line, you might say, in that it’s for Canadians to report on one another if they suspect neighbours are engaging in barbaric cultural practices.

This country’s academics have generally, for a variety of reasons including fear of retribution, steered clear of challenging Mr. Harper’s autocratic tendencies. But 587 of them have issued an open letter in protest against tactics “that betray the values of mutual respect and toleration that lie at the heart of civil democratic discourse.”

The niqab controversy followed the Duffy scandal, which revealed a Prime Minister’s Office concocting cover-up schemes, planning to falsify audits, blatantly misleading the public. Mr. Harper’s ratings on trust were already below Mr. Trudeau’s and NDP Leader Tom Mulcair’s to begin the campaign. They could cost him dearly on election day, but he appears oblivious to criticism.

Almost 70 per cent of Canadians tell pollsters that they want change. But Mr. Harper has essentially run a no-change campaign. No change in terms of major policy direction. No change in terms of the way he runs his operation. Not a single promise to clean it up.

Hubris is an occupational hazard of prime ministers long in power. Mr. Harper appears to be no exception. “It isn’t about me,” the leader frequently accused of running a one-man, all-controlling government said last week. Not about him? He might try telling that to public servants, who were instructed by his office some years ago to use the appellation the “Harper Government” in their correspondence, as opposed to the traditional “Government of Canada.”

Mr. Trudeau says the comportment of the Prime Minister’s Office should reflect the decency of the Canadian people, not a political war zone. Many top-office seekers make these platitudinous, high-sounding promises only to forget them upon being crowned.

Mr. Trudeau could be the same, but maybe not. Not only are there lessons learned from his fractious father, but he represents a younger generation of Canadians, a generation that will turn on him quickly if he starts playing the old cynical politics.

But first he has to win. If the high road versus the low road factors into much of the decision-making on election day, his chances will escalate.

This article cuts to the heart of the matter, Harper's political games have not unified Canadians but have created divisiveness at every turn.  He has shown no respect for rules, government or his position and has used manipulation to achieve his "win at all cost" legacy.  I for one will be glad to move on from this era of negativity and onto a more positive approach to building a cohesive Canada.

I hope you are right. Mulcair and the NDP were not the party to bring positivity and cohesiveness to Canada. All they know how to do is whine and complain and be negative. Trudeau is the only real option, and I hope a lot of NDP'ers this weekend think about that before they vote, and move their vote over to the Liberal candidate in their riding.

Great point KBF. If harper was so bad the left wouldn't hve to lie. While the right talks policies the left talks about what a personal devil the PM is. Desperate and disrespectful

Anyway...

The Liberals, who started the election in third place, have overtaken the Conservatives in seat projections, with 128 seats to the Conservatives’ 122. The NDP, once the front-runner, is trailing with 84 seats.

I hate getting into this crap, but there you go again.  It's makes me laugh so hard when someone says the Liberals lie while Cons talk about policies.  Come on man.  Give me a break.  The Cons lie about the Liberals all the damn time.  Every commercial is a lie.  Get over yourself.

interesting to put it mildly, that they signed on to a trade agreement, and won't show it to the voters till after the election.

and already offered auto workers money for jobs lost.

The Korean trade deal will cost Canadian auto jobs, cause Korean cars are not made in Canada.

Not sure why anyone in Ontario with it's car industry manufacturing base, would vote for this group.

If Justin could have a tenure like Obama, I'd be okay with that...

If Justin could have a tenure like Obama, I'd be okay with that...

Poor economic performance for most of his tenure, increase the national debt to record high levels, poor foreign relations decisions (Iran getting nukes)?

do some more research. Get some better sources. Iran is not getting nukes.

There has been a whole lot of moral authority coming from harperquarters. Tough on crime, making niqab an issue (dare I say it), etc. etc.

Not really moral authority.  They ran on tough on crime and run successive campaigns.  Thats not a moral authority issue.  Its a voter issue.

And it was the courts that made the Niqab an issue this election.  And the 70% of Canadian who agree with the Conservative opinion.  I agree the media blew it out of proportion as an issue impacting Canadians though.  Its sort of one of those no-brainers that it makes "common sense" and so many Canadians agree, that it really shouldnt have been an issue.  But the courts disagreed.  Which is the role of the courts, so be it.

I'm sorry man, but I'm going here again. I think it bothers me because you clearly are engaged in this country's political system and talk with such an authority, yet you refuse to question your approach to issues. I don't claim to have a strong grasp of macroeconomics, agriculture or other issues being debated in this election. I do know, however, that you misunderstand this niqab issue and that it is definitely not as simple as saying there's a common sense outcome.

The courts did not make this an election issue. In fact, they were simply ruling on a Conservative policy to ban niqabs at the citizenship ceremony. This policy conflicted with a regulation that guaranteed individuals religious freedom. It's a simple legal principle that a regulation supersedes a policy. I think even you must admit that as a legal principle that make sense. The Conservatives made it an issue by appealing the case, even though, I'm sure their legal experts, and Harper, knows it's a losing case. Now, ask yourself, why would the government spend money and resources to appeal a case to the Supreme Court when they know they will likely lose?

You're also consistently conflating majoritarian politics and morality which does not work for many reasons.