Election 2015

FrostyWinnipeg

Yeah thats true.  I mean, sure, those newspapers is absurd in their stupidity and unabashed partiality but the CBC is worse and we all get stuck with their bill.  If Harper loses today, my biggest regret is he didnt fold the CBC when he had the chance. 

Its one thing for media outlets to endorse parties in their opinion pages but those front pages are ludicrous.  There is no impartial journalism anymore.  And social media makes it worse.

Apparently a delay in opening the Osborn polling station due to "lost paperwork".  Open now.

#believeinSteve because its only 9:44 and I've already had #JustinNuff of Trudeau ;-)

question, what has the CBC done that is worse than running a front page add that says "vote this way or terrible things will happen"

Can you show me an example of anyting even remotely close to that level?

Im not going to debate you and your love for the CBC.  No point to that.

But my meaning was that a) how many people read newspapers versus see the CBC?  B) this idiocy by the newspapers is one day out of the year as opposed to 24/7 by the CBC.

Or are you going to take the position that the CBC is an unbiased, impartial news source?

Have you read a post media publication on any othe day of the year? Its tempered compared to that but about the same message.

Did I say they were unbiased and impartial? Or did I say can you find any articles on the the CBC that are that blatant?

This is what I woke up to this morning here, in Kelowna…and I'm not sure about using what is supposed to be neutral colouring? Looks like an official message.

7KjKsGZ.jpg

Wow, never seen anything like that before, that's basically a full page advert. on the front page.  So much for journalistic integrity.

That's disgusting that they allow that.  I thought media was always supposed to be impartial.  Guess I need to put quotes around that word, I should know that by now.

I think this is a real low water-mark in laziness for print media that will not help them with their declining subscription rates.  It used to be print media would manipulate the public through editorials and common sense arguments with the goal of retaining the trust in their audience by presenting real facts.  The newspaper industry thrived for hundreds of years on this model.  Now you can pretty much regard newspapers as litle more than "flyers" hawking the products within their pages or further promoting their own self-interest over public knowledge.

On second thought I believe that may actually be a full page advert. paid for by the Conservatives.  Either way, not good.

What burns me is that my tax dollars go to the CBC, and there they are, kissing the ass of leftist scumbags like Suzuki. It was so awesome when Suzuki got burned on Australian national TV, by their state broadcaster, and made him look like the massive fraud he really is. It's too bad our state-funded channel is dedicated to propagating the myth that he is some sort of super-star. He isn't.

But anyway, I wanted to address this topic that TUP brought up:

Do polls miss 'shy Tories?

Stephen Carter — the campaign strategist who helped Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi and former Alberta Premier Alison Redford get elected — thinks Canadian polls, like the UK surveys in the spring, systematically under-represent Conservative supporters.

Polls account for everyone surveyed. Some of those people don't show up on election day.

And polls might also not pick up so-called "shy Tories." These voters are reluctant — or even ashamed in the UK, it seems — to admit to pollsters that they were going to vote Conservative. Akin to the UK, Carter and other Canadian experts think people who are likely to vote for the incumbent Conservatives are less likely to admit to it — and less likely to participate in polls. They are happy with the government, so they hang up on robo-polls (also known as IVR, for "interactive voice response").

I think we may have a lot of "shy Tories" in this election, that told pollsters what they wanted to hear, but will realize when they get to the booths that they want the devil they know.  Just looking at how anybody who remotely expressed any support for the Conservatives was roasted on here, and on other forums I visit, I wouldn't doubt that a lot of people are just saying what people want to hear, to avoid having some anti-Harper loon blow up in their faces with their self-righteous anger about some idiotic topic like "Harper cut health care by $36 billion" etc.  In my case, my Conservative MP is a dufus, and so it will be really hard to vote for him.  I still, honestly haven't made up my mind, and won't until I hit the polling booth.  I think there a lot of others just like me out there today.

On second thought I believe that may actually be a full page advert. paid for by the Conservatives.  Either way, not good.

Of course it was a full page advertisement.  But why let that get in the way of self-righteous anger and a good blather about media impartiality.  I saw a Harper ad during Hockey Night in Canada, so that must mean that the CBC is supporting Harper.  :)

Yeah thats true.  I mean, sure, those newspapers is absurd in their stupidity and unabashed partiality but the CBC is worse and we all get stuck with their bill. 

question, what has the CBC done that is worse than running a front page add that says "vote this way or terrible things will happen"

Can you show me an example of anyting even remotely close to that level?

Im not going to debate you and your love for the CBC.  No point to that.

lol. You sound like a Conservative politician.

If someone thinks the CBC is unbiased and relevant, how can anyone possibly debate that.  The problem with political debate is people are entrenched.  Not many are open minded.  Even those that think they are.

This is what I woke up to this morning here, in Kelowna…and I'm not sure about using what is supposed to be neutral colouring? Looks like an official message.

7KjKsGZ.jpg

Wow, never seen anything like that before, that's basically a full page advert. on the front page.  So much for journalistic integrity.

That's disgusting that they allow that.  I thought media was always supposed to be impartial.  Guess I need to put quotes around that word, I should know that by now.

I think this is a real low water-mark in laziness for print media that will not help them with their declining subscription rates.  It used to be print media would manipulate the public through editorials and common sense arguments with the goal of retaining the trust in their audience by presenting real facts.  The newspaper industry thrived for hundreds of years on this model.  Now you can pretty much regard newspapers as litle more than "flyers" hawking the products within their pages or further promoting their own self-interest over public knowledge.

If its paid advertising, then its fair game.  Although I'd question how the front page of a newspaper is available for purchase.  But thats more to the point about declining newspaper revenue and the lengths they have to go to get paid. 

As an advertisement, thats pretty clever though.

And to show Im not biased, I thought the Liberals TV commercial with the old lady was pretty effective too.

Of course it was a full page advertisement.  But why let that get in the way of self-righteous anger and a good blather about media impartiality.  I saw a Harper ad during Hockey Night in Canada, so that must mean that the CBC is supporting Harper.  :)

Well I guess it means CBS is unbiased.  They are truly a fine example to media across the country. 

On the other hand, I believe Sportsnet controls HNIC advertising, no?  Which would make it those evildoers at Rogers.  I dont watch much TV commercials (PVR) but I saw Justin's face an awful lot this weekend.  All the talk of the Cons having more money and it seemed to me that the Liberals had more ad time.  Unless it was just the programming I was watching.  Maybe Im a closet liberal and I dont even know it.

7KjKsGZ.jpg

If its paid advertising, then its fair game.  Although I'd question how the front page of a newspaper is available for purchase.  But thats more to the point about declining newspaper revenue and the lengths they have to go to get paid. 

As an advertisement, thats pretty clever though.

And to show Im not biased, I thought the Liberals TV commercial with the old lady was pretty effective too.

In a form of media that is dying a slow and painful death you give them enough money they'll print anything on any page you want. 

I voted. Don't like that I can't vote for the local candidate plus the federal one. Pretty stupid actually. I get its always been like that but it's stupid

Ive seen this discussion a few times (and had it too).  I guess the intent in our system is you *should* vote for your guy.  But I think we're influenced by the American way of doing things where the "leader" is most important.  And I guess considering the leader's influence on the party, that is true.

We could always move to a system that has both a President and Prime Minister.  But that would never fly here.

Its why I dislike the idea of coalitions and whatnot because reasonably, that's not the intent of the voter.  It might be the intent of the voter to vote down a specific party, but we can run elections that way.  And I also hate the idea of a PM stepping down mid-mandate and someone else becomes leader.  I'd prefer a deputy PM be acknowledged beforehand.  But then, we're getting away from "our" style of politics.

CBC can't even wait for the results

Justin Trudeau, born into political spotlight, seeks to fulfil Nixon prophecy

Justin Trudeau hadn't even been weaned when a sitting United States president first predicted he'd one day become Canada's political leader.

"Tonight we'll dispense with the formalities. I'd like to toast the future prime minister of Canada: to Justin Pierre Trudeau," Richard Nixon said at a gala buffet in April 1972 during a state visit to Ottawa when Trudeau was just four months old.

According to a contemporary news wire report, Trudeau's father Pierre, then nearing the end of his first four-year Liberal mandate as prime minister, responded that should his eldest son — born on Christmas Day 1971 — ever become Canada's leader, "I hope he has the grace and skill of the president."

Nixon, of course, went on to infamy, while Pierre Trudeau governed Canada for 16 years in all and ushered in a new Canadian Constitution and the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Today, Justin Pierre James Trudeau is tantalizingly close to fulfilling Nixon's prophecy — polls have the Liberals leading heading into the final weekend before Monday's vote — and there's a certain symmetry in that he's seeking to replace Stephen Harper, a prime minister described as "almost Nixonian" by Harper's own former chief of staff Tom Flanagan.

Sunny, approachable, sometimes too quick with a quip, relaxed in front of a camera and publicly eschewing the dark political arts, Trudeau has presented himself to Canadians as the open-book antidote to a decade of flinty, guarded Conservative governance.

realistically, we get what people want.  The idea that a government is formed with less than majority vote just seems silly to me.  No one is making people vote NDP. 

Anyone who votes NDP but really dislikes the Conservatives has only themselves to blame if the Cons win or the Liberals get a minority (unless that is their desire).  if NDP voters simply want their party to have a place at the dinner table to lobby for their interests, then thats what they get and the result is still the will of the people.

CBC can't even wait for the results

Justin Trudeau, born into political spotlight, seeks to fulfil Nixon prophecy

Justin Trudeau hadn't even been weaned when a sitting United States president first predicted he'd one day become Canada's political leader.

"Tonight we'll dispense with the formalities. I'd like to toast the future prime minister of Canada: to Justin Pierre Trudeau," Richard Nixon said at a gala buffet in April 1972 during a state visit to Ottawa when Trudeau was just four months old.

According to a contemporary news wire report, Trudeau's father Pierre, then nearing the end of his first four-year Liberal mandate as prime minister, responded that should his eldest son — born on Christmas Day 1971 — ever become Canada's leader, "I hope he has the grace and skill of the president."

Nixon, of course, went on to infamy, while Pierre Trudeau governed Canada for 16 years in all and ushered in a new Canadian Constitution and the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Today, Justin Pierre James Trudeau is tantalizingly close to fulfilling Nixon's prophecy — polls have the Liberals leading heading into the final weekend before Monday's vote — and there's a certain symmetry in that he's seeking to replace Stephen Harper, a prime minister described as "almost Nixonian" by Harper's own former chief of staff Tom Flanagan.

Sunny, approachable, sometimes too quick with a quip, relaxed in front of a camera and publicly eschewing the dark political arts, Trudeau has presented himself to Canadians as the open-book antidote to a decade of flinty, guarded Conservative governance.

The Toronto Star had virtually the same article 2 months ago (it was written by the same guy - Bruce Cheadle of the CP) and that was well before Trudeau took over the polls.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015/08/03/will-2015-election-campaign-see-nixons-justin-trudeau-prophecy-fulfilled.html

I like the idea of a ranking system where your first and second choice count with the second being at a lower weight.

Curb the issue of vote splitting and give a better representation of what people really want

I hate that kind of system. It leads to everyones 2nd choice winning and no one being happy. 

I honestly think the system is fine as it is, it's the politicians that are broken. No one is inspiring anyone and it's all about which minor petty issue they can hammer into the electorates heads. 

I like the idea of a ranking system where your first and second choice count with the second being at a lower weight.

Curb the issue of vote splitting and give a better representation of what people really want

That is the system that was used to elect the PC leader in AB. in which both Ed Stelmach and Alison Redford won out as the 3rd choice. 

Both the Libs. and the NDP are proposing electoral reform so that option is on the table if either of them win.

That is the system that was used to elect the PC leader in AB. in which both Ed Stelmach and Alison Redford won out as the 3rd choice. 

Both the Libs. and the NDP are proposing electoral reform so that option is on the table if either of them win.

And those two led to the demise of a 40+ year government dynasty. It's really not a good option in my mind.