Election 2015

FrostyWinnipeg

The nightly tracking is based on a rolling average of 1,200 voters polled on Oct 11, 13, and 14, 2015. The numbers released Oct. 15 show:

the Liberals at 37.1 per cent support

the Conservatives at 29.4 per cent support

the NDP at 23.7 per cent support

the Green Party at 4.3 per cent support

the Bloc Quebecois at 5 per cent support

wow, welcome to a majority government Prime Minister Trudeau.  I have to admit that phrase does send a shiver down my spine, and not a good one, having still bad memories of his dad. I really hope Justin is a better and more just ruler.  I think he will be. 

I have hated the Conservative campaign from day one. It's made me not want to vote for them honestly and I'm a guy that would self identify as more conservative than anything. I'll likely end up voting for the Conservative candidate because I like him better than the Liberal one but still, the way they've gone about campaigning this year the Conservatives deserve to lose. 

It's been a trainwreck. He's now campaigning with the Fords while telling people Trudeau will put brothels in your neighbourhood and sell drugs to your kids.

As much as some people wants to say it's the anti-Harper crowd that likes to use scare tactics (which they have), every party does it.  Paul Martin had the soldiers in the streets nonsense when he lost in 2006 & Harper has this crap about brothels, weed at 7-11, and legal crack houses popping up everywhere.  Treating voters like morons is a sure way to find yourself on the losing end of an election.

Well the legalization of pot would, in theory, make it easier for kids to get it.  But I support decriminalization.  Sort of a weird off-message thing for them to go with.  I find Harper's commercials where he updates every day and addresses the camera directly to be more effective.  Humanizes him though probably too late.  And I wouldnt say its been a trainwreck since they were polling close to majority at one point.

NDP has been a trainwreck.  They just drove right off a cliff.  Reminds me of that old movie Duel (which terrified me as a kid) with the NDP as the semi truck chasing down the government...relentless and scary until it drove off a cliff and exploded.

NDP has been a trainwreck.  They just drove right off a cliff.  Reminds me of that old movie Duel (which terrified me as a kid) with the NDP as the semi truck chasing down the government...relentless and scary until it drove off a cliff and exploded.

That movie scared me too.  Dennis Weaver at his best.  That was Spielberg's directorial debut, I believe.  Excellent reference.

I don't like how you present your opinion as fact when it is so flawed. I'm also really sick of the way you perpetuate that there are some double standards against the cons when it's just the way politics is for every party.

Well I'm sick of how you attack me and TUP, and try to claim some kind of moral high-ground in the process, while ignoring others who are lying, constantly.   As for presenting my opinion as fact, sorry, but the NDP is awful.  And everywhere they've governed they proven that time and time again.  We are still cleaning up the mess they left here in BC, and the last time they were in power was 2001.  But as I said before, if what I say about the NDP bugs you so much, then put me on ignore.  You may not like what I have to say, but you should agree that I have a right to say it.  Just as you do.

Finally I'm just giving you a taste of your own medicine. Since every time you cant come up with a logical argument (which is a lot) you resort to contrite insults.

Well congrats, you served me my medicine and wow is it bitter.  As for coming up with logical arguments, I honestly don't care if you don't think they are logical.  As for contrite insults, I believe that I was just called bigoted.  And once again, you were no where to be found.  SURPRISE!!!

For example lets hear a coherent argument about why Harper is the best person to manage the economy that isn't "the other guys would have done way worse" and is based his body of work given he's been in power for the better part of a decade.

Ok - well go find someone who believes that Harper is the best person to manage the economy, and ask them to do what you want them to do.  Why are you asking me?  I just hate seeing people post lies, like he is destroying the environment because Maude Barlow says so, or he is defunding health care because some union-funded lobby group spins the numbers and posts this on their website.  Did Harper manage the economy well?  Probably not.  But how would anyone really know, when you can't believe almost anything you read, from anybody??  That includes you, I am afraid.

What I can't wait to see is how much spinning the anyone but Harper crowd reacts when they realize that the Liberals have been more similar to the Conservatives than anyone else all along. That alone is likely worth the price of admission. 

I expect reams of sanctimony and I told you so's from the NDP, who still can't get over that most Canadians just don't trust them to run the economy.  Until they do, and fix that perception (a successful provincial government would help) they are doomed to third place.

What I can't wait to see is how much spinning the anyone but Harper crowd reacts when they realize that the Liberals have been more similar to the Conservatives than anyone else all along. That alone is likely worth the price of admission.

Well at least we won't have to hear about how it's only Harper that can save Canada from the evils of the world.When our economy doesn't self destruct because Harper isn't personally running it what then? I can hear you pro cons yelling the horror the horror.

Well at least we won't have to hear about how it's only Harper that can save Canada from the evils of the world.When our economy doesn't self destruct because Harper isn't personally running it what then? I can hear you pro cons yelling the horror the horror.

I think that the smartest thing Trudeau can do is get the GST back up to 7%.  That will solve any budgetary deficits for years to come.  If he can show surpluses then he will dispel any myths about the Liberals being able to manage the economy.  Ralph Goodale was a good finance minister in the past and I expect, if given the job again, he will be good in the future.

Perhaps also a lot of this anti-Harper bitterness will fade too.  Man do people hate that guy.  It's like he personally went around Canada kicking everyone's dogs.  I don't get it, and I guess I never will.  I understood perfectly why people hated Justin's daddy so much.  He destroyed Alberta with the NEP, and over night bankrupted thousands of families, out of pure spite.  That was a tangible reason to really hate that guy.  Harper hasn't done anything close to something that bad.  Oh well. 

I think that the smartest thing Trudeau can do is get the GST back up to 7%. That will solve any budgetary deficits for years to come. If he can show surpluses then he will dispel any myths about the Liberals being able to manage the economy. Ralph Goodale was a good finance minister in the past and I expect, if given the job again, he will be good in the future.

Perhaps also a lot of this anti-Harper bitterness will fade too. Man do people hate that guy. It's like he personally went around Canada kicking everyone's dogs. I don't get it, and I guess I never will. Oh well. And posting lists of hundreds of reasons why he was so bad, mostly complete lies, won't help me understand this hatred any better, I am afraid.

Can't answer for others but here is my reason.Its the abject arrogance that he shows.Setting the longest election in history so that the Cons can inundate us with ads that the other parties cannot afford.Actually believing that they are the only party that can lead this country without causing a disaster. Harper's latest add says it's not a popularity contest kids do what's best for Canada.Finally Harper knows everything about how to properly run our country but hasn't a clue what his personal aides are up to? Yeah ok.

Im curious about this too.  Not to mention the ABC crowd who were pro-NDP and will shortly say "so happy the Liberals won just like we always said".

It generally perplexes me when people seem to be personally offended by Harper and want "anyone else" to win.  And many of them cant tell you one good thing about either party.  They only know they think they hate Harper and arent sure why.

You're an angry fellow.  Who is saying that?  Who will say that?  The only chicken littles are the anti Harper crowd that ten years later is still warning of secret agendas.  If the Liberals win monday they take over a surplus.  Pretty good time to do so.

Oh please, I might be more conservative than anything else but I'm certainly not in the camp that believes the only people who can run things are the Conservatives. My beef with the Liberal party is how they love to piss all over Western Canada in order to pander to Quebec and Ontario. Otherwise I would actually fall in line with their platform pretty well. 

I think that the smartest thing Trudeau can do is get the GST back up to 7%.  That will solve any budgetary deficits for years to come.  If he can show surpluses then he will dispel any myths about the Liberals being able to manage the economy.  Ralph Goodale was a good finance minister in the past and I expect, if given the job again, he will be good in the future.

Perhaps also a lot of this anti-Harper bitterness will fade too.  Man do people hate that guy.  It's like he personally went around Canada kicking everyone's dogs.  I don't get it, and I guess I never will.  I understood perfectly why people hated Justin's daddy so much.  He destroyed Alberta with the NEP, and over night bankrupted thousands of families, out of pure spite.  That was a tangible reason to really hate that guy.  Harper hasn't done anything close to something that bad.  Oh well. 

Its a media creation.  Harper isnt warm and fuzzy.  Although if people took off their blinders, I find Harper to be a generally professional guy.  I dont need him to hug me and hold me and tell me Im special.  I've asked some of the Harper hysteria folks on FB "why" when they get so passionate and personal about Harper and the answers are generally things like "he's destroying the country" with nothing to support that  I think a lot of people (not all) dont know why they hate him.

I am certain the Liberals will raise the GST and I dont care about the GST so much as long as my income taxes go down.  But thats a risky proposition because its such an easy play publicly.  The media will have a field day over "rising taxes" and it invokes Cretien's broken promise to abolish the GST and reminds voters that the Cons kept their promise to reduce.  Personally, the GST is a bit of a red herring.  But the Liberals would have to be careful about raising it even if its the right thing to do.

I think that the smartest thing Trudeau can do is get the GST back up to 7%. That will solve any budgetary deficits for years to come. If he can show surpluses then he will dispel any myths about the Liberals being able to manage the economy. Ralph Goodale was a good finance minister in the past and I expect, if given the job again, he will be good in the future.

Perhaps also a lot of this anti-Harper bitterness will fade too. Man do people hate that guy. It's like he personally went around Canada kicking everyone's dogs. I don't get it, and I guess I never will. Oh well. And posting lists of hundreds of reasons why he was so bad, mostly complete lies, won't help me understand this hatred any better, I am afraid.

Can't answer for others but here is my reason.Its the abject arrogance that he shows.Setting the longest election in history so that the Cons can inundate us with ads that the other parties cannot afford.Actually believing that they are the only party that can lead this country without causing a disaster. Harper's latest add says it's not a popularity contest kids do what's best for Canada.Finally Harper knows everything about how to properly run our country but hasn't a clue what his personal aides are up to? Yeah ok.

You're either very young or have a very short memory.  other than "long election" you can replace "Harper" and "Conservatives" with "Cretien" and "Liberals" in your post, and you sum up their "dynasty" pretty well too.

You're either very young or have a very short memory. other than "long election" you can replace "Harper" and "Conservatives" with "Cretien" and "Liberals" in your post, and you sum up their "dynasty" pretty well too.
Ahh condescension you do it well unknown poster.

Can't really argue with that one.  Honestly, when governments get to the 10 year age range, they really do get extremely arrogant. 

You're either very young or have a very short memory. other than "long election" you can replace "Harper" and "Conservatives" with "Cretien" and "Liberals" in your post, and you sum up their "dynasty" pretty well too.
Ahh condescension you do it well unknown poster.

More of an amusing remark actually.  if thats condescending, you're awfully sensitive especially given all the posts you made about me this morning that were deleted.  :-)

Is my guess off base?  You're not too young to vividly remember the Cretien liberals?

Can't really argue with that one. Honestly, when governments get to the 10 year age range, they really do get extremely arrogant.

Yes I agree with you.Only have to look at the NDP here in Manitoba as well.The power corrupts adage is true unfortunately.

• 33.9 per cent of respondents said they would prefer Trudeau as prime minister

• 29.2 per cent preferred Harper

• 20.1 per cent preferred NDP Leader Thomas Mulcair

• 5.8 per cent preferred Green Party Leader Elizabeth May

• 8.7 per cent were unsure

Interesting that for all the anti Harper hysteria and rhetoric he consistently came out ahead in preferred PM polls. Until now!

Need to get those liberals voting NDP! Lol

It’s almost as if there’s a pact among my colleagues in the media not to talk about it. The big thing that makes Justin Trudeau different from the rest. Not just different from the other party leaders. But different from past Liberal leaders and his entire caucus.

What is that big thing? It’s how shockingly inexperienced Trudeau is for someone seeking to lead our country.

Now that election day is just around the corner and Trudeau is not just in reach of winning a minority but possibly a majority, today’s busy voter deserves to know just how much their potential future prime minister is lacking in credentials.

In terms of career experience, all the 43-year-old’s chalked up is a couple years as a teacher in British Columbia. After that, he entered an engineering program but soon dropped out, then started another MA program but dropped that too. He became an MP shortly after, in 2008.

In other words, he spent the years before entering politics dabbling in this and that, drifting about without any commitment to work or school.

You could never be as dismissive with the CVs of Stephane Dion, Michael Ignatieff or Bob Rae. You might not like their politics, but they are highly accomplished people.

Same for the Liberal caucus. Several MPs most Canadians have never heard of – such as Kirsty Duncan, Ted Hsu and Emmanuel Dubourg – have seriously impressive credentials. Trudeau is the least accomplished person on his own team. Yet he’s going to be the one calling the shots? It makes no sense.

Do we really want such a person running a G7 nation? Do we really think he’d be able to sit at the international table as an equal with U.S. President Barack Obama and German Chancellor Angela Merkel?

This isn’t just me talking. Nor is this some Conservative smear. During the 2013 Liberal leadership I walked about the room, chatting with party bigwigs. “Really?!” was pretty much the only question I put to them. They mostly shrugged, acknowledging that the selection of Trudeau was about name recognition and style over substance.

It’s certainly a positive that the son of a former PM wants to use his celebrity to better the lives of Canadians, rather than treat life like a party. But sooner or later someone has to put a foot down on any delusions of grandeur. Our country is too important to hand over to the lucky sperm club.

While Trudeau is riding high in the polls, he may not be as favoured as it seems. It’s highly likely that many voters who have tired of Harper have mistaken their dislike of the current PM for love of Trudeau without actually knowing his credentials.

But two wrongs don’t make a right. It’s not a balance sheet on which Harper’s perceived faults automatically turn into Trudeau’s virtues.

Besides, if you’re that anti-Harper there’s a very credible and experienced alternative in NDP Leader Tom Mulcair. It’s been clear this campaign that Mulcair is more moderate and pragmatic than Trudeau on a number of issues. Plus Mulcair has the mature “serenity” – a phrase he used to describe himself to the Sun editorial board Tuesday – to represent Canada ably on the world stage. Trudeau lacks that.

At this point in the campaign, this is actually the issue that matters most. It’s the question voters need to ask themselves. Does Justin Trudeau have the experience to lead a G7 nation?

Same for the Liberal caucus. Several MPs most Canadians have never heard of – such as Kirsty Duncan, Ted Hsu and Emmanuel Dubourg – have seriously impressive credentials. Trudeau is the least accomplished person on his own team. Yet he’s going to be the one calling the shots? It makes no sense.

He is not going to be the one calling the shots. He is going to be a puppet of those who were behind the scenes of the Chretien government. JT has neither the experience or the balls to make the tough calls so he is going to rely heavily on his cabinet, most of whom should have been turfed out the last time the Liberals lost power.