Election 2015

FrostyWinnipeg

Momentum is strong in politics and the Liberals are going strong with it right now. Appears like they're headed to a majority and I say good. I actually like majority governments, a lot less bullshit and the string of minorities we had really did contribute to how utterly childish the parties have become. 

I have hated the Conservative campaign from day one. It's made me not want to vote for them honestly and I'm a guy that would self identify as more conservative than anything. I'll likely end up voting for the Conservative candidate because I like him better than the Liberal one but still, the way they've gone about campaigning this year the Conservatives deserve to lose. 

That's exactly how I feel. I've been a Tory, Reform, Canadian Alliance & Conservative voter federally since I turned 18 but their campaign has totally turned me off to the point I'm sitting on the fence between Liberals & Conservatives for the first time. That would have been inconceivable to me 5 years ago. The question I'm asking is do the Conservatives even deserve my vote?

Im all for a leader surrounding himself by qualified people.  But I dont think Prime Minister is a position that lends itself to on-the-job-training.  However, in a democracy it doesnt matter...  Although as noted previously, Harper, until today, consistently led in polls asking who would be the best PM.  And Trudeau's rise likely has more to do with liberal momentum this week.  So despite the Harper-hate-hysteria, it seems people like Harper (or at least like him as PM),they just dont like Conservative policy.

Read some disturbing things about the economy under PET (high interest rates)and ofcourse Chretien/Martin slashing transfer payments etc.  Let's hope it's not *that* sort of Liberal government.  Skyrocketing interest rates would be bad news for a lot of people who have mortgages on homes they otherwise couldnt afford if not for low interest rates.

Momentum is strong in politics and the Liberals are going strong with it right now. Appears like they're headed to a majority and I say good. I actually like majority governments, a lot less bullshit and the string of minorities we had really did contribute to how utterly childish the parties have become. 

I have hated the Conservative campaign from day one. It's made me not want to vote for them honestly and I'm a guy that would self identify as more conservative than anything. I'll likely end up voting for the Conservative candidate because I like him better than the Liberal one but still, the way they've gone about campaigning this year the Conservatives deserve to lose. 

That's exactly how I feel. I've been a Tory, Reform, Canadian Alliance & Conservative voter federally since I turned 18 but their campaign has totally turned me off to the point I'm sitting on the fence between Liberals & Conservatives for the first time. That would have been inconceivable to me 5 years ago. The question I'm asking is do the Conservatives even deserve my vote?

I was an NDP'er before I could vote when I was influenced by my parents.  Then in Junior High I was VERY liberal (Free Trade) before I really understood the issues, though it was discussed in school.  Celebrated when the PC's were obliterated.  Voted Liberal in my first election.  Strong supporter of Chretien.

Arrogance and scandal and lies and a sense that surpluses were the government's to spend and not the people's to recoup etc, soured me.  I knew a girl casually who was a member of the young liberals and I told her how I was feeling and she told me a lot of liberals agreed but it was Chretien's fault and when he left, Martin would lead us all to the promised land. 

I was intrigued by Reform but still Liberal.  Started getting into it more with the Canadian Alliance.  Thought Stockwell Day got a bit of a raw deal.  Stephen Harper uniting the right and the decline of the liberals pushed me to the Cons.  But I genuinely like Harper.  Im not nearly as impressed with this campaign's second half as I was the first.

For me, to answer the question of do they deserve my vote?  I think Harper is a good, smart person of good character, strong leader and someone who has Canada's best interests at heart.  So he will still get my vote.  And saying that, I think Trudeau and Mulcair have Canada's best interests at heart too.  Its just political differences.  I dislike Trudeau but if he's Prime Minister, then I hope he does a fine job.

1982... Eighteen per cent interest rates. We bought our first home in 1990 & our mortgage rate was 13.5% for a 5 year fixed renewable term. My wife & I thought we were getting a bargain. 

My parents tell me crazy stories of their mortage where they had a variable rate and their friends had fixed and my parents lucked out when rates dropped.  Housing prices were lower.  Can you imagine if the Liberal's runaway deficits cause a spike in interest rates and the middle incomers with their $300,000 homes suddenly go from 2% to 7% or 12%...or 18%? 

I don't dislike Trudeau. I don't think the experience thing is as big a deal as it is being made out to  be. Harper had no experience when he took over. Being PM is on the job training. I'm sure Trudeau will find that some of the political stances he has now will have to change if he becomes PM. So, Trudeau's "he's just not ready" doesn't resonate with me. No one is ready to be Prime Minister.

1982... Eighteen per cent interest rates. We bought our first home in 1990 & our mortgage rate was 13.5% for a 5 year fixed renewable term. My wife & I thought we were getting a bargain. 

My parents tell me crazy stories of their mortage where they had a variable rate and their friends had fixed and my parents lucked out when rates dropped.  Housing prices were lower.  Can you imagine if the Liberal's runaway deficits cause a spike in interest rates and the middle incomers with their $300,000 homes suddenly go from 2% to 7% or 12%...or 18%? 

That happened between 1976 & 1982 when mortgage rates spiked around 18%. People were giving upon their homes & giving the banks the keys. By the thousands. It was truly bad.  

Martin would lead us all to the promised land.

Martin got stabbed in the back so bad by Chretien, it was sad. I think he could have made a good PM.

Yeah, the Chretien appartchiks really did take him down. But for a guy involved with the Liberals for so long & his father a cabinet minister in the Pearson & Trudeau governments he was also very naive, gullible & clueless as well. He was just as much to blame for his downfall as well. 

I don't dislike Trudeau. I don't think the experience thing is as big a deal as it is being made out to  be. Harper had no experience when he took over. Being PM is on the job training. I'm sure Trudeau will find that some of the political stances he has now will have to change if he becomes PM. So, Trudeau's "he's just not ready" doesn't resonate with me. No one is ready to be Prime Minister.

This is basically how I feel. I'm somewhat of a fiscal conservative, and I think the current incarnation of the Grits are, too. I'm less concerned with Justin as the face, as I am about who the cabinet ministers will be. Have a good money nerd in charge of the finance portfolio, and I'm totally fine with them in power. Like Dave said earlier, the current LPC is a lot closer to the Con's than people realize, just with a more like-able leader, imo. Harper is just such a complete tool and shoulda been tossed a long time ago.

This is basically how I feel. I'm somewhat of a fiscal conservative, and I think the current incarnation of the Grits are, too. I'm less concerned with Justin as the face, as I am about who the cabinet ministers will be. Have a good money nerd in charge of the finance portfolio, and I'm totally fine with them in power. Like Dave said earlier, the current LPC is a lot closer to the Con's than people realize, just with a more like-able leader, imo. Harper is just such a complete tool and shoulda been tossed a long time ago.

The real difference is that the Liberals have no problems flat out lying about what they really are in a campaign. Oh sure Justin might want to be more left leaning, but the party won't let him go too far. Campaign on the left govern on the right, that's the Liberal way. Tell people what they want to hear and do what needs to be done. It's not a bad system if you're OK with habitual liars running the country. 

The real difference is that the Liberals have no problems flat out lying about what they really are in a campaign. Oh sure Justin might want to be more left leaning, but the party won't let him go too far. Campaign on the left govern on the right, that's the Liberal way. Tell people what they want to hear and do what needs to be done. It's not a bad system if you're OK with habitual liars running the country. 

I would say most politicians say what they think people want to hear & are habitual liars. 

I don't dislike Trudeau. I don't think the experience thing is as big a deal as it is being made out to be. Harper had no experience when he took over. Being PM is on the job training. I'm sure Trudeau will find that some of the political stances he has now will have to change if he becomes PM. So, Trudeau's "he's just not ready" doesn't resonate with me. No one is ready to be Prime Minister.

Respectfully disagree. Harper was infinitely experienced. You can't compare the two whatsoever.

I don't dislike Trudeau. I don't think the experience thing is as big a deal as it is being made out to be. Harper had no experience when he took over. Being PM is on the job training. I'm sure Trudeau will find that some of the political stances he has now will have to change if he becomes PM. So, Trudeau's "he's just not ready" doesn't resonate with me. No one is ready to be Prime Minister.

Respectfully disagree. Harper was infinitely experienced. You can't compare the two whatsoever.

Infinitetly experienced doing what? A policy geek? An economist? Lecturer in college? Briefly in charge of a lobby group called the Canadian Taxpayers Federation? A Member of Parliament? Yeah, TONS of experience to be Prime Minister. As i said before no one first elected PM has any experience whatsoever to lead a country. 

That's just completely false. While it's true harper did not have experience as PM before he became PM it's egregiously silly to compare Harper's experience when he became PM to JT's.

You wouldn't hire a mechanic with no experience working on cars. But PM? Sure no experience needed.

Edit to add, I posted both guys' resumes here in this thread when the subject first cAme up. Not sure if it was you or someone else saying Harper had the same level of experience as JT. But you're free to search for it.

This is unbelievably stupid

IRDEN, Man. – A Canadian flag was removed from a Manitoba advance polling station on the weekend because a worker felt it violated election rules.

Elections Canada said a worker in Virden, near the Saskatchewan boundary, thought the red in the Canadian flag could be interpreted as support for the Liberal party.

Spokeswoman Marie-France Kenny said the Elections Canada returning officer was contacted by a local worker who wanted clarification of the rules.

“One employee did ask that we remove some flags

because they were red, which has absolutely nothing to do with partisanship,” she said Thursday. “It was all a misunderstanding.”

One of the two flags were removed for a period of time, but it was ultimately raised again, Kenny said. She didn’t know how long the flag was removed or how quickly the confusion was cleared up.

“As long as nothing is advocating for or against a candidate, there is no reason to remove them from the poll.”

The worker had undergone Elections Canada training, which explains the rules that prohibit campaign literature or active campaigning near a polling station, Kenny said.

Well, what you want & what you get are two different things. I don't like minority governments. Unstable & too many elections. Our dollar is low enough as it is & having a minority won't do it or the economy any good.

My company exports almost everything to the US so the low dollar is a real win for us. Come to think of it, I should be voting NDP! Doh...
Priorities are mixed up, yo

why do you say that?

Oh - just the thought of KBF voting NDP.

That's just completely false. While it's true harper did not have experience as PM before he became PM it's egregiously silly to compare Harper's experience when he became PM to JT's.

You wouldn't hire a mechanic with no experience working on cars. But PM? Sure no experience needed.

Edit to add, I posted both guys' resumes here in this thread when the subject first cAme up. Not sure if it was you or someone else saying Harper had the same level of experience as JT. But you're free to search for it.

Unless you have proof that Harper had experience leading another country before he ever became our Prime Minister. Otherwise he had NO EXPERIENCE being a Prime Ministwr.

Unless you have proof that Harper had experience leading another country before he ever became our Prime Minister. Otherwise he had NO EXPERIENCE being a Prime Ministwr.

No one ever said he did. The comment is that the experience Harper had was far more relevant to the PM job than the experience JT has had.

Your comment is just idiotic. You are arguing a straw man and not arguing the point that is being made.

JT has done squat so far in his life. Why the Liberelas decided to go with him as thier leader has always puzzled me.

Well, what you want & what you get are two different things. I don't like minority governments. Unstable & too many elections. Our dollar is low enough as it is & having a minority won't do it or the economy any good.

My company exports almost everything to the US so the low dollar is a real win for us. Come to think of it, I should be voting NDP! Doh...
Priorities are mixed up, yo

why do you say that?

Oh - just the thought of KBF voting NDP.

if I ever do, better go find Rick Grimes and Daryl Dixon and partner up with them, because the zombie apocalypse is upon us.