Fire O'Shea

holoman

We lose our last 2 games. BC loses their last 3 and Montreal beats Regina to take the last playoff spot.

As hilariously pathetic as this would be... it's not completely unfathomable...

I'm hoping Toronto is on "rest up for the playoffs" mode for our last game.

If a good GM gets 2 coaches, a good coach should get 2 sets of co-ordinators.  I'm all for giving OSH until the offseason to get rid of Bellefeuille.  Richie Hall's appointment as DC has been a success, so let's see what OSH can do when given the opportunity for a new OC, and the knowledge that this decision will ultimately be a big factor in his future as HC here in Winnipeg.

I get that Edmonton and Ottawa have become successful in 2 years.  But the Bombers under O'Shea have NOT been a train wreck.  They've improved.  The organization and how players feel about Winnipeg as a destination has improved.  They're in a similar spot to Lapo's Bombers of 2010 where we've been good enough to lose close games lately.  When taking over a REALLY BAD organization, can any of you calling for OSH's head realistically think that 2 years is enough time?  Maybe if Willy doesn't get hurt, the Bombers are 8-8 right now, but regardless, this was a massive turnaround. 

Canning an HC (and possibly a GM) makes no sense to me after 2 progressive years.

TWO.....PROGRESSIVE......YEARS??????

We lose our last 2 games. BC loses their last 3 and Montreal beats Regina to take the last playoff spot.

See. I'm hoping for snow in Regina the last week. That way Glenn will be his normal, cold weather, useless self allowing the Riders to pull out one last win.

And even if TO is in rest mode and our playoff hopes are on the line, MB will call such a crap game we will still lose out big time. But we still get in anyway.

Yeah, bit frustrated at this point.

If a good GM gets 2 coaches, a good coach should get 2 sets of co-ordinators.  I'm all for giving OSH until the offseason to get rid of Bellefeuille.  Richie Hall's appointment as DC has been a success, so let's see what OSH can do when given the opportunity for a new OC, and the knowledge that this decision will ultimately be a big factor in his future as HC here in Winnipeg.

I get that Edmonton and Ottawa have become successful in 2 years.  But the Bombers under O'Shea have NOT been a train wreck.  They've improved.  The organization and how players feel about Winnipeg as a destination has improved.  They're in a similar spot to Lapo's Bombers of 2010 where we've been good enough to lose close games lately.  When taking over a REALLY BAD organization, can any of you calling for OSH's head realistically think that 2 years is enough time?  Maybe if Willy doesn't get hurt, the Bombers are 8-8 right now, but regardless, this was a massive turnaround. 

Canning an HC (and possibly a GM) makes no sense to me after 2 progressive years.

When you start by assuming that Walters is a good GM and that O'Shea's a good HC, you lose the argument IMO. O'Shea shouldn't have hired MB in the first place at the very least he had his opportunity to fire MB last off season. Now you want to give him another year because he couldn't figure out that MB was useless in the first place?

Hall's been a success, but honestly, Etch should never have been hired in the first place and we were one of two teams who was looking for a DC when Hall was fired from Regina, and they were the other team. Hall either signed with us or went out of the CFL. 

I don't see the massive turnaround you do. 5 Wins this season is worse than the 7 we got last year. We haven't won back to back games since last July. We look like we're out of the playoffs again this year for the 3rd year in a row or we might sneak in with 5 or 6 wins.

O'Shea's job is to put a winning team on the field and he's failed. It's Walters and Millers jobs to change the way the organization is viewed by others.

ahhh...the voice of reason!

See. I'm hoping for snow in Regina the last week. That way Glenn will be his normal, cold weather, useless self allowing the Riders to pull out one last win.

And even if TO is in rest mode and our playoff hopes are on the line, MB will call such a crap game we will still lose out big time. But we still get in anyway.

Yeah, bit frustrated at this point.

and if it's cool in Winnipeg when Ottawa comes to town Burris is likely to fold too. That guy is the biggest ***** when the weather gets cold. The Stamps coulda had a lot more cups if Burris didn't tank in cold weather. 

If a good GM gets 2 coaches, a good coach should get 2 sets of co-ordinators. I'm all for giving OSH until the offseason to get rid of Bellefeuille. Richie Hall's appointment as DC has been a success, so let's see what OSH can do when given the opportunity for a new OC, and the knowledge that this decision will ultimately be a big factor in his future as HC here in Winnipeg.

I get that Edmonton and Ottawa have become successful in 2 years. But the Bombers under O'Shea have NOT been a train wreck. They've improved. The organization and how players feel about Winnipeg as a destination has improved. They're in a similar spot to Lapo's Bombers of 2010 where we've been good enough to lose close games lately. When taking over a REALLY BAD organization, can any of you calling for OSH's head realistically think that 2 years is enough time? Maybe if Willy doesn't get hurt, the Bombers are 8-8 right now, but regardless, this was a massive turnaround.

ahhh...the voice of reason!
Yeah we keep progressing like this we should hit 4 wins next year.......

Oh Winnipeg... I see why others call us Loserpeg.  "If we don't get immediate success, we have to change everything."  Short-term thinking in a long-term business.

Coaching changes work when the HC has lost the room, or when you have a team that's on the cusp, and the current HC can't get the team over the hump.  Or if you have someone pull a Tillman... then he has to go.  That's about it.

The players still play hard for O'Shea.  The first co-ordinator change went well for the Blue, and we have a top third defence.  And the franchise QB has been injured and missing for half of our season.

Do we need a winning record to get some continuity around these parts?  Seems like a chicken-and-egg scenario...

Oh Winnipeg... I see why others call us Loserpeg.  "If we don't get immediate success, we have to change everything."  Short-term thinking in a long-term business.

Coaching changes work when the HC has lost the room, or when you have a team that's on the cusp, and the current HC can't get the team over the hump.  Or if you have someone pull a Tillman... then he has to go.  That's about it.

The players still play hard for O'Shea.  The first co-ordinator change went well for the Blue, and we have a top third defence.  And the franchise QB has been injured and missing for half of our season.

Do we need a winning record to get some continuity around these parts?  Seems like a chicken-and-egg scenario...

It's not just Winnipeg. Almost no one keeps HC's who don't make the playoffs for 2 years in a row. Almost no HC's who've started with 2 losing seasons have ever turned it around even on other teams. 

You're talking continuity on a 5 win team? You really want to continue in the same vein? Another season of hoping to luck into the last playoff spot and go with the old 'anything can happen in the playoffs' scenario? I don't,

Yes... we need a winning record or at least a 9-9 record before we go for continuity. Find folks who can win and stick with them is better than find folks who people like but aren't winning and stick with them.

The biggest issue is how much have we actually progressed?? especially when we're now likely to have a worse record in year 2 of this regime... 

Progressive??

The O'Shea supporters here have pretty much given up defending him and O'Shea's mien on the sidelines in the last two games (and the last one in particular) indicates that he has given up as well. He is going through the motions, but he is a dead man walking and he knows it.

Nah the O'shea supporters as you call them probably don't feel like repeatedly banging their heads against brick walls. Whats the point. Some like him. Some don't. It's like politics... you can try all you want to convince me who to vote for but in the end I will vote for whoever I feel like. Those who oppose O'shea, your opinion Is irrelevant to those who do support him and vice versa and nothing you say,regardless of how many times you say it, will change anyone's minds. I'll paraphrase sweep the leg from the politics thread... ahem.... some people remind me of my grandfather who was always so amazed that people had a different opinion than his own. Put people in to categories all you like .. it's irrelevant and the reality is... it's not my decision to make... it's not yours.... we really have no idea in the big picture do we? Tracker man... you've become a broken record... if tracker and repeat where on a boat and tracker fell off, who would be left?

When we win... you are quiet... when we lose.... same old song and dance.

Nah the O'shea supporters as you call them probably don't feel like repeatedly banging their heads against brick walls. Whats the point. Some like him. Some don't. It's like politics... you can try all you want to convince me who to vote for but in the end I will vote for whoever I feel like. Those who oppose O'shea, your opinion Is irrelevant to those who do support him and vice versa and nothing you say,regardless of how many times you say it, will change anyone's minds. I'll paraphrase sweep the leg from the politics thread... ahem.... some people remind me of my grandfather who was always so amazed that people had a different opinion than his own. Put people in to categories all you like .. it's irrelevant and the reality is... it's not my decision to make... it's not yours.... we really have no idea in the big picture do we? Tracker man... you've become a broken record... if tracker and repeat where on a boat and tracker fell off, who would be left?

When we win... you are quiet... when we lose.... same old song and dance.

Yea just because we dont parrot the same drivel over and over again doesnt mean we dont support oshea. We have said our pieces and you have said yours. Nobody seems to want to consider each others view points so ive lost interest in repeating myself.

As for Oshea looking like hes "going thru the motions.." That before or after he yelled at the offense? Argued with the officials?

Smh. You see what you wanna see. Thats it. You hear what you wanna hear in the interviews.

(Sorry goalie lol. These were not directed at you but at the oshea detractors.)

Im not really sure how i feel as Oshea as an HC, because im not sure he is one.  after Tracy got canned, im sure he took over the special teams, but really its Halls defense, MBs offense,  he does the PR and hes liked by players cuz hes a former player and probably a good motivational speaker (despite his media scrum shortcomings).  Hasnt struck me as the guy leading a team and taking control of it when things go sour and make those changes in game. If he does infact jump in, then he kinda sucks

For the record, I'm prepared to give O'Shea one more year at the helm.  No hyperbole, but a belief that he's right for the job.  I'm a long term thinker, and I know that teams that change coaches like underwear don't do well, and yet that's the path we've been on.   Also for the record, it was a mistake to fire Cal Murphy, Doug Berry, and Paul Lapo when they did.

If Hufnagel becomes available... will he chose to be a GM/HC for the Bombers over the Riders or the Lions?

If Trestman becomes available... will he chose to be a HC for the Bombers over the Allouettes?

Will Benivedes choose to be a HC for the Bombers if he will be offered by Hufnagel to be his DC?

Will LaPolice choose to comeback with the Bombers and get fired again after 2 years?

The 'I like Mike' group will be happy to see Lawless' article on TSN: http://www.tsn.ca/could-the-riders-ask-to-talk-to-jim-popp-1.381277

Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Unless the Bombers’ volunteer board of directors decides they need to make sweeping changes, staring with CEO Wade Miller, expect the status quo in key positions.

Miller won’t fire GM Kyle Walters. Walters won’t fire head coach Mike O’Shea, but he will push him to make changes to his staff.

Expect offensive coordinator Marcel Bellefeuille to be out and perhaps some changes on the defensive side of the ball as well. Defensive coordinator Richie Hall has done a good job, but his defence is passive – they bend and don’t break. The best defences in the CFL pressure the offence and take more risk than Hall is traditionally comfortable with.

It's not just Winnipeg. Almost no one keeps HC's who don't make the playoffs for 2 years in a row. Almost no HC's who've started with 2 losing seasons have ever turned it around even on other teams. 

You're talking continuity on a 5 win team? You really want to continue in the same vein? Another season of hoping to luck into the last playoff spot and go with the old 'anything can happen in the playoffs' scenario? I don't,

Yes... we need a winning record or at least a 9-9 record before we go for continuity. Find folks who can win and stick with them is better than find folks who people like but aren't winning and stick with them.

This seem incredibly short sighted.  In previous years i would be calling for a HC change.  But i realize now that doing exactly what i wanted hasn't helped the team at all. .Firing Berry was a mistake and getting rid of Glenn was a mistake.  Canning Lapo was a mistake as the GM was horrible and didn't replace players that sucked.. Elliot, brink, Pierce etc etc. The oline has been and continues to be a weak spot. 

We were right in the games against Calgary and Edmonton into the dying seconds of the game.. With a different kicker we beat Edmonton.   What this shows to me, that the head coach is not the problem.  The Players are fighting all out to the last second of the game and not giving up.  The play calling on offence has been horrible and we have had unservicable qb Between willy going down and Nichols coming in.  Thats not on oshea. Thats on Walter.  MB has caused the majority of the issues on the offence and should be replaced and see how the team does next year.  If Oshea Doesnt Fire MB at the end of the season then Oshea should go as well as he doesn't see the major issue remaining with the team.

Head Coaching is not the issue with the team.. The talent level on offence continues to be subpar and the play calling (running up the gut on 2nd and xx) is obvious.

Oshea should stay as the player he has are playing all out every game.  The offence can't move the ball the majority of the time.. 

Why do people still insist firing Berry was a mistake.  He had lost the room.  This was well known at the time.  When that happens the only option is to fire the coach.

Teams don't need an out-of-control coach raging on the sidelines losing all common sense at key points in the game ie) see Berry pulling out challenge flag to challenge a challenge lol.

There is a reason he is no longer working in the league folks and was never hired to be a head coach again.

Why do people still insist firing Berry was a mistake.  He had lost the room.  This was well known at the time.  When that happens the only option is to fire the coach.

Teams don't need an out-of-control coach raging on the sidelines losing all common sense at key points in the game ie) see Berry pulling out challenge flag to challenge a challenge lol.

There is a reason he is no longer working in the league folks and was never hired to be a head coach again.

Berry may not have been on his players' Christmas card lists, but he was the last winning coach we had, and he didn't have an All-star quarterback, either. This has come up here before, but there are a lot of winning coaches in many sports who were not beloved by their players- Tom Landry, and Scotty Bowman to name a couple. And we've had a couple of coaches who were well-liked by their players but disasters on the scoreboard.