Fire O'Shea

holoman

I think people have serious delusions if they think MOS firing 3 coordinators in less than 2 years won't send out negative vibes in the CFL coaching fraternity & cement the image of the Bombers as an organization to stay away from if anyone wants to further their careers as an assistant coach or coordinator in this league. So, the people who want MOS to stay as HC for continuity purposes because we won't be able to attract quality head coaching candidates if he's fired yet want Bellefeuille gone are naive,Ibelieve. No quality assistant coach or currently employed OC now in the CFL will want to come here when we our current head coach has gone thru 2 coordinators already. It'd be easier to get better coaching talent if MOS was fired & we started over as at least we'd have a clean slate. But we know that won't happen. Don't expect a miracle hire for OC when Bellefeuille is canned. Basically, an OC will have to fall into our lap much like Ritchie Hall did when he was let go in Saskatchewan. Someone unemployed looking for work. No one from any good team doing well will come here.

In the coaching profession there's no shame in being fired. Mike could move on from here having learned some valuable lessons. He could go on working in the league and continue to learn. 10 years from now he might be ready to be a HC and we could give him another opportunity then.

If there is one thing MOS should have learned after 2 years as our HC it's that he's not ready to be a HC and he should resign. If he's too delusional to know even that, then he needs to be fired for the sake of the football team and it's fans.

You might be on to something here. This wisdom might be bang on.

If an OC has inspirations of being a HC, maybe that will actually draw them here.   :)

If you look at the history of this club in the last few years, whoever get promoted on an "interim" basis automatically gets the gig in the off season.   If O'Shea gets fired mid season, he'd have a 50/50 shot of becoming HC.

I like that thought but it'd have to be a Chris Jones type. I think it's incredible what he has accomplished in Edmonton in just a few short years. Why, oh why can't we land guys like that?

Despite his decision to keep Marcel after last year's obvious problems on O (where we were basically worst in the league) and same thing again this season, we should keep Mike O'Shea next season.

Of course I said this about Joe Mack, feeling that he kept LaPo around too long and should have cut him loose immediately after we accidentally limped into the 2011 cup.

We were a bad team, poorly coached, masked by that cup appearance.

But that decision to keep LaPo marked the beginning of the end for Joe.

So likewise, O'Shea's loyalty to Marcel, despite the absence of vital signs on the cold corpse that is Winnipeg's offence, could spell the end of O'Shea here.

That would be a shame, as I'm not certain it's all on MOS. Though firing the HC is the pattern: the last time we had a 5-13 record (as seems likely) we fired Jim Daley and replaced him with Doug Berry.

That may be the case, but the head coach is ultimately responsible for who he hires and the product on the field, good, bad or indifferent. Ask the former head of Vokswagen.

Mmmm ... I dunno. That one was a family squabble, not a case of incompetence, like here. 

If an OC has inspirations of being a HC, maybe that will actually draw them here.   :)

If you look at the history of this club in the last few years, whoever get promoted on an "interim" basis automatically gets the gig in the off season.   If O'Shea gets fired mid season, he'd have a 50/50 shot of becoming HC.

I like that thought but it'd have to be a Chris Jones type. I think it's incredible what he has accomplished in Edmonton in just a few short years. Why, oh why can't we land guys like that?

Because the GM hired the HC. And our GM is sub-par.

And the only reason our GM is still employed is because he's Miller's guy. 

This train went off the rails the day Miller lied about our "exhaustive" GM search. Everything else that has transpired since then can be traced to that total inside hire. 

Team won't get better until we let better people run it. 

Hervey rebuilt that OL which was a train wreck like ours almost what seems like overnight which is amazing considering our OL is still struggling. Jones brought in guys that were mean, nasty & aggressive to suit his blitzing style on defense. And Hervey signed Reilly & brought in some good receivers. All in basically a year.

Hervey rebuilt that OL which was a train wreck like ours almost what seems like overnight which is amazing considering our OL is still struggling. Jones brought in guys that were mean, nasty & aggressive to suit his blitzing style on defense. And Hervey signed Reilly & brought in some good receivers. All in basically a year.

Thing is, Edmonton's OL isn't good. They have a mobile QB and better schemes/system than we do.

And all those contribute to a " better O line". Do you think DelMonaco went to Calgary and all of a sudden became a genius? No, he was in a bad situation with a bad supporting cast. Our current o line coach is one of the most respected in the business. He did a good job in Sask with a good supporting cast. Now he's a bum? There is some commonality to all this.

Stop it! You're gonna make me pout and stamp my feet and hold my breath until I turn blue! 

Despite his decision to keep Marcel after last year's obvious problems on O (where we were basically worst in the league) and same thing again this season, we should keep Mike O'Shea next season.

Of course I said this about Joe Mack, feeling that he kept LaPo around too long and should have cut him loose immediately after we accidentally limped into the 2011 cup.

We were a bad team, poorly coached, masked by that cup appearance.

But that decision to keep LaPo marked the beginning of the end for Joe.

So likewise, O'Shea's loyalty to Marcel, despite the absence of vital signs on the cold corpse that is Winnipeg's offence, could spell the end of O'Shea here.

That would be a shame, as I'm not certain it's all on MOS. Though firing the HC is the pattern: the last time we had a 5-13 record (as seems likely) we fired Jim Daley and replaced him with Doug Berry.

That may be the case, but the head coach is ultimately responsible for who he hires and the product on the field, good, bad or indifferent. Ask the former head of Vokswagen.

Mmmm ... I dunno. That one was a family squabble, not a case of incompetence, like here. 

Nope. The "squabble" is going to cost Volkswagen between 2 and 2.6 billion Euros to fix the fudged emission systems. The big cheese didn't do the dirty deed, but it happened on his watch, so he did the honourable thing and fell on his sword.

Year one of the Mike Reilly era was the "consequences" season.... then Kavis was fired and Jones was hired... and they put it together... people thought Kavis was terrible before Chirs Jones... sometimes a GM just needs the right coach...

Berry was also a raging, unstable, psychopath.

Who took us to the playoffs three years straight. We haven't been the same team since firing him.

Agree 100%. Besides, I prefer to think of him as "passionate".   ;)

There's a fine line between passionate and mentally unstable ;)

He was hardly mentally unstable. If anyone was unstable at that time it's Westy

Lawless today said that he was talking with another CFL GM and they are suggesting that if the Bombers do keep O'Shea they should extend him by at least 1 year.

The theory being is that assistant coaches never get a contract longer than the head coach currently has.  And if you want to sign a quality OC to replace Marcel, then you will need to offer them 2 years minimum.  No quality OC will come here for a one year deal with a lame duck head coach.

Another reason to fire O'Shea now?

I would think the reality of inheriting the HC position if Oshea fails could be enticing, but its kind of being between a rock and a hard place, if the coordinator sucks and it costs Osh his job,  might likely cost the coordinator his job as there would likely be a house cleaning coming from top to bottom.  If the coordinators do good and the bombers do good,  doesnt that save Osh and not really get anyone new in at HC?

Lawless today said that he was talking with another CFL GM and they are suggesting that if the Bombers do keep O'Shea they should extend him by at least 1 year.

The theory being is that assistant coaches never get a contract longer than the head coach currently has.  And if you want to sign a quality OC to replace Marcel, then you will need to offer them 2 years minimum.  No quality OC will come here for a one year deal with a lame duck head coach.

Another reason to fire O'Shea now?

Because that worked so well with LaPolice. Lord, this mess keeps getting worse and worse.

, but the head coach is ultimately responsible for who he hires and the product on the field, good, bad or indifferent. Ask the former head of Vokswagen.

This is the thing people don't seem to understand.  He's the head coach. He's responsible for everything that happens on the field. To me, excusing the head coach  cause the assistant he  stuck with isn't very good...

makes no sense.  Do a better job of picking your staff, it's part of what you're supposed to be able to do. Isn't it?

If Mike is given more time I will be astounded.

, but the head coach is ultimately responsible for who he hires and the product on the field, good, bad or indifferent. Ask the former head of Vokswagen.

This is the thing people don't seem to understand.  He's the head coach. He's responsible for everything that happens on the field. To me, excusing the head coach  cause the assistant he  stuck with isn't very good...

makes no sense.  Do a better job of picking your staff, it's part of what you're supposed to be able to do. Isn't it?

If Mike is given more time I will be astounded.

You may want to be sitting down before taking in Bomber announcements for a while.

I dont think it was a secret from the get go osh's fortes were st n d, I guess thats where my hesitation has been with him as a HC (not necessarily as a coach) and id want someone competent in all phases of the game as the "head" coach

Thats a pretty big thing to hope for tho, very very few coaches are boned up on all three phases unless they are archaic. Its pretty common place for a defensive minded HC to lean on his oc and vica versa.

We just went with an experienced OC who we figured would be a benefit but turned into a detriment. Second season, I dunno if he talked a good talk or showcased a plan of action that flopped but regardless.. oshea wanted to lean on his oc and it blew up. Bigtime.

I think it's more of a sign that nobody was really available to come here. People can say Cortez or Chapdelaine or Maas but... I really don't think they were legit options for us. Maybe MOS did want to get rid of bellefool but nobody was really available to replace him. Maybe the decision to keep MB was all 3 of miller Walters and MOS. MOS can say what he wants in the media but.... who knows really what he wanted to do. Keeping MB was a bad decision but I don't think it's a sign he's a bad coach. If MB is fired soon then MOS has learned. That's all you can hope for as a coach. The O failing isn't on MOS... it's on MB.