Darian Durant Torn Achilles

Geebrr

Excerpt from Rod Pedersen's blog post:

Cue the hysteria in the Rider Nation.  Facebook and Twitter exploded even further, with many writing the season off and some season ticket holders offering up their seats for the rest of the season.  Even in the "Austin" parking lot as I was walking out, one inebriated fan in a DURANT jersey kicked a Pilsner can and screamed, "F*&K!" as he looked up at the sunset. 

:D

should be "kicked a Pilsner can, after checking to see if there was anything left in it"

I can't speak for anyone else, but I know I'm sick of hearing it ad nauseam. Plus, anyone over the age of 25 remembers the lean years/decades to the west so the chest thumping gets a little tiresome when its coming from a loaded bandwagon.

Because it's annoying as all hell. There are a ton of gappers living in Calgary and Alberta in general so you run into a ton of them and they are just obnoxious about their fandom, even if they are the people who jumped on the bandwagon. I have nothing but respect for the Rider fans who were actually die hard fans through the crappy years, it's the new fans that piss me off cause they only came to the team recently and have no appreciation for how quickly fortunes can change in the CFL.

I know a handful of true Riders fans who had seasons tix during the Al Ford Years, and know a TON about the team and the game in general. Love those guys. But I know WAY more Rider "fans" who don't have a clue about the team, the league, or even the game. The worst kind of bandwagonners who came on board in 07 because things started looking rosey again. I don't use the word "hate" very often, but I hate those people with every fibre of my being, after having lived through a lot of **** as a Bombers fan...

So, inferiority complex basically?

Cue the hysteria in the Rider Nation. Facebook and Twitter exploded even further, with many writing the season off and some season ticket holders offering up their seats for the rest of the season. Even in the "Austin" parking lot as I was walking out, one inebriated fan in a DURANT jersey kicked a Pilsner can and screamed, "F*&K!" as he looked up at the sunset.

...And here's the Rider "fans" we all know and love. This is why I'm desperate for them to go through a bout of Al Ford Years. We'll test out this theory about "Best Fans".......
Just curious - do you feel personally threatened by the level of fandom in Saskatachewan? Why does it bother you so much that they have the "best fans" label?
Maybe he finds it an obnoxious, and subjective.

As well, like most non Rider fans, gets sick of them endlessly telling anyone who will listen?

So don't listen, problem solved. Not sure why it's worth getting in a twist over. Rise above, man.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I know I'm sick of hearing it ad nauseam. Plus, anyone over the age of 25 remembers the lean years/decades to the west so the chest thumping gets a little tiresome when its coming from a loaded bandwagon.

Because it's annoying as all hell. There are a ton of gappers living in Calgary and Alberta in general so you run into a ton of them and they are just obnoxious about their fandom, even if they are the people who jumped on the bandwagon. I have nothing but respect for the Rider fans who were actually die hard fans through the crappy years, it's the new fans that piss me off cause they only came to the team recently and have no appreciation for how quickly fortunes can change in the CFL.

I know a handful of true Riders fans who had seasons tix during the Al Ford Years, and know a TON about the team and the game in general. Love those guys. But I know WAY more Rider "fans" who don't have a clue about the team, the league, or even the game. The worst kind of bandwagonners who came on board in 07 because things started looking rosey again. I don't use the word "hate" very often, but I hate those people with every fibre of my being, after having lived through a lot of **** as a Bombers fan...

So, inferiority complex basically?

No not in the least, it's an extremely low tolerance for annoying people. I know what kind of fan I am and I don't need to throw it in anyones faces. The complex belongs to the people who feel the need to walk around thumping their chests over rider pride! or Canada's team!

Cue the hysteria in the Rider Nation. Facebook and Twitter exploded even further, with many writing the season off and some season ticket holders offering up their seats for the rest of the season. Even in the "Austin" parking lot as I was walking out, one inebriated fan in a DURANT jersey kicked a Pilsner can and screamed, "F*&K!" as he looked up at the sunset.

...And here's the Rider "fans" we all know and love. This is why I'm desperate for them to go through a bout of Al Ford Years. We'll test out this theory about "Best Fans".......
Just curious - do you feel personally threatened by the level of fandom in Saskatachewan? Why does it bother you so much that they have the "best fans" label?
Maybe he finds it an obnoxious, and subjective.

As well, like most non Rider fans, gets sick of them endlessly telling anyone who will listen?

So don't listen, problem solved. Not sure why it's worth getting in a twist over. Rise above, man.

One could use the same comment toward your feelings about it.

When you literally sell hyperbole, don't be surprised when others shoot it down.

Looking at your comments on it, it appears you are just being insecure on the other side.

Such is life.

It's sometimes hard to avoid.  

The Friday night game, the one where Ottawa was honoring the soldier that got killed out of Parliament.  Everybody Canada wide  was going to wear red in honor of him.  Rider fans thought Green would have been more appropriate..cause you..Green is Canada's colour.

There was that time they wanted Canada's junior team to wear green for a game, just for Saskatchewan...

The Friday night game, the one where Ottawa was honoring the soldier that got killed out of Parliament.  Everybody Canada wide  was going to wear red in honor of him.  Rider fans thought Green would have been more appropriate..cause you..Green is Canada's colour.

OK, extreme example to make a generalization from, but fair comment, that is over the top. Can be frustrating to see a fan base take a distinctly Canadian moment and turn it into self-promotion for their own sense of perceived importance. And Bomber fans would never do something that crass.

Now let's all sing along to the National anthem - everyone say it with me:

"Glorious and free Blue"

And while we're at it, during the moment of silence at the Remembrance Day game, let's start the "Let's go Bombers!" chant. Because that's what our fallen soldiers fought for and would want us to do.

OK, extreme example to make a generalization from, but fair comment, that is over the top. Can be frustrating to see a fan base take a distinctly Canadian moment and turn it into self-promotion for their own sense of perceived importance. And Bomber fans would never do something that crass.

Now let's all sing along to the National anthem - everyone say it with me:

"Glorious and free Blue"

And while we're at it, during the moment of silence at the Remembrance Day game, let's start the "Let's go Bombers!" chant. Because that's what our fallen soldiers fought for and would want us to do.

Hey Migs how's the Kia Forte holding up?

There was that time they wanted Canada's junior team to wear green for a game, just for Saskatchewan...

You mean the time that happened? Or are we just pretending it didn't, cause I prefer that option.

No not in the least, it's an extremely low tolerance for annoying people. I know what kind of fan I am and I don't need to throw it in anyones faces. The complex belongs to the people who feel the need to walk around thumping their chests over rider pride! or Canada's team!

So, someone who cheers loudly and proudly for their home team is by your definition an annoying person? Then why do you even bother posting on this fan site at all, since it's home to some of the loudest and proudest fans around? Or is it only fans of opposing teams that are annoying?

And your statement "I know what kind of fan I am and don't need to throw it in anyone's faces" is essentially trying to throw it in other's faces that you are a better fan. It reads as "I know I'm better than them because I don't need to rah-rah in people's faces" and yet you complain openly about their in your face fandom even though you supposedly are above all that. You feel the need, it seems, to call out the "Canada's team" label, not because you've successfully argued that it's a bunch of B.S., but because it gets under your skin (which is precisely the reaction the most truly annoying are going for - don't take the bait because it exposes the very inferiority complex that gives them the justification to proclaim "we are the best fans because we are superior and those inferior fans know it").

One could use the same comment toward your feelings about it.

When you literally sell hyperbole, don't be surprised when others shoot it down.

Looking at your comments on it, it appears you are just being insecure on the other side.

Such is life.

I could tune it out, sure. I have no time for the Canada's Team label, but I'm not "desperate for them" to suffer miserably, "sick of it ad nauseum" or "annoyed to hell" about it, and just was originally wondering what causes that level of "hate with every fibre of my being", especially since it's fuelled by "having lived through a lot of **** as a Bomber fan" (not sure why one leads to the other, unless it's jealousy and inferiority). I was trying to understand why it gets under the skin of so many to such an extent, and if it's anything beyond the relative successes our teams have had in the last decade.

And I agree, shoot down the hyperbole, but that's what's lacking here - a coherent argument to shoot down the hyperbole. The only argument against the anointment of them as the "best fans" is "it's annoying" and not "it's completely inaccurate". They have good fans who travel well across the nation, strong ticket base, are very profitable, the best merchandise sales in Canadian sport, and loyal players. Pretty good reasons to proclaim how great your fans are. But so what, we have great fans too. They've had lean times and have suffered with less support, so have we and any other struggling team. The response to it just reminds me of Homer Simpson's grumblings about Ned Flanders: "I don't hate him, I'm just happy to see him fall flat on his butt. He's usually so happy with life and his family and so content with how successful he is, and it makes me feel…what's the opposite of that schaudenfreude thing?" (Lisa) "Sour grapes."

I guess, like 17's lack of tolerance with annoying people, I have a low tolerance for arrogance combined with ignorance, which often displays as hypocrisy, and I'd wish for more calmness and maturity from the masses than pettiness and spite. Bomber fans criticizing the way that "in your face" Rider fans act and pretending that they are better than them is the height of arrogance and ignorance. Saying "we don't need to parade our jerseys around and be in your face about it" and then saying "when they fail and everyones jumps off the bandwagon, we'll prove once again that we are TRULY the best fans and deserving of the title that has falsely been given to them" is so begging to be recognized that it reeks of insecurity and inferiority. And hypocritical too. I've been around long enough to see lean Bomber years, and make no mistake, there was an exodus of the bandwagon then too (take a look at the empty stands during the Reinbold years) and sudden resurgence and seeming arrogance (Swaggerville, anyone?) when times got good. We are no better than 'Rider fans during the good times and no worse during the bad, but as fan bases in the CFL go both are pretty rock solid.

So for those who get irked by the "in your face" 'Rider fans, let it go and don't let the hype machine eat you up. And for those whose irritation is fuelled by the belief we are better than all that and need them to fail so we can prove it, get over yourselves, because you rent and it's kind of embarrassing to think that. 

Bu that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.  :)

I post on sites such as this one to talk about the Bombers and football with other fans of the team and sport. There's not trying to prove anything, just people with a similar interest to talk about said interest with. I don't make the comment about not needing to throw my fandom in anyones faces to prove I'm a better kind of fan, I do it to prove I'm a better kind of person. Huge difference. 

They can wear their jersies, hats, t-shirts whatever that's fine, but the constant trash talk like the Riders are gods gift to football, it's too much. 

So, someone who cheers loudly and proudly for their home team is....

And your statement "I know what kind of fan I am....

I have a low tolerance for arrogance combined with ignorance.....

Bu that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. :)

Are you one of the Righteous Brothers?

So, someone who cheers loudly and proudly for their home team is....

And your statement "I know what kind of fan I am....

I have a low tolerance for arrogance combined with ignorance.....

Bu that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. :)

Are you one of the Righteous Brothers?

Would have to be the other Righteous Brother.

I post on sites such as this one to talk about the Bombers and football with other fans of the team and sport. There's not trying to prove anything, just people with a similar interest to talk about said interest with. I don't make the comment about not needing to throw my fandom in anyones faces to prove I'm a better kind of fan, I do it to prove I'm a better kind of person. Huge difference. 

They can wear their jersies, hats, t-shirts whatever that's fine, but the constant trash talk like the Riders are gods gift to football, it's too much. 

I would think the better person wouldn't need to make any statement at all in an effort to prove that they are a better person,but whatever.

But again, back to my original question in this segue: why does the trash talk get to people? It's only annoying if you let it be annoying, otherwise it's just empty noise. And all fan bases have segments who do it, so what makes the 'Rider priders intolerable where other fan bases are not. I don't need a recap of their behaviour, just trying to piece together why it seems so effective in pushing emotional buttons here.

I would think the better person wouldn't need to make any statement at all in an effort to prove that they are a better person,but whatever.

But again, back to my original question in this segue: why does the trash talk get to people? It's only annoying if you let it be annoying, otherwise it's just empty noise. And all fan bases have segments who do it, so what makes the 'Rider priders intolerable where other fan bases are not. I don't need a recap of their behaviour, just trying to piece together why it seems so effective in pushing emotional buttons here.

Why does the fact that rider fans bother, pretty well every other cfl fan, bother YOU so much. You keep saying to brush it off and let it be etc etc..but you're the one who keeps bringing it up.

Listen, people don't like them. You don't need to understand why. Let it go man.

Why does the fact that rider fans bother, pretty well every other cfl fan, bother YOU so much. You keep saying to brush it off and let it be etc etc..but you're the one who keeps bringing it up.

Listen, people don't like them. You don't need to understand why. Let it go man.

Some people just feel the need to try and prove their moral superiority like this.