Who gets the axe by Monday?

Mike

I was talking about the 3rd down and goal line work which is Marve's role and likely Portis's role if he won the 3rd QB spot.

you really think sneaking on 3rd and short does much to develop a guy? 

Future catburglar?

I was talking about the 3rd down and goal line work which is Marve's role and likely Portis's role if he won the 3rd QB spot.

Future catburglar?

Cats are easy to burgle, as they sleep 98.7% of the time.

Where did this "NFL aspirations" thing come from anyways?  What player in the CFL DOESN'T have NFL aspirations? I'd be worried if he didn't.  And the idea that you'd cut your backup or 3rd string QB because you're afraid you'll lose him to the NFL anyways.... that makes no sense to me on multiple levels.

Who was the last QB to leave the CFL for the NFL? Casey Printers?  I don't think we are anywhere near needing to worry about Marve. If he is in a position to bolt to the NFL after this season that will mean that Willy got injured and Marve led us to a wildly successful season. I'll take that.

Future catburglar?

Cats are easy to burgle, as they sleep 98.7% of the time.

Except when they're kittens, and there's 2 of them, and they tear around your house at Mach 5.

Where did this "NFL aspirations" thing come from anyways?  What player in the CFL DOESN'T have NFL aspirations? I'd be worried if he didn't.  And the idea that you'd cut your backup or 3rd string QB because you're afraid you'll lose him to the NFL anyways.... that makes no sense to me on multiple levels.

Who was the last QB to leave the CFL for the NFL? Casey Printers?  I don't think we are anywhere near needing to worry about Marve. If he is in a position to bolt to the NFL after this season that will mean that Willy got injured and Marve led us to a wildly successful season. I'll take that.

Cauchy Muamba?

I don't care if he has NFL aspirations and going into the season with anything less than the 3 best QBs you can get your hands on is dumb.  Mentioning it before camp even starts is always ill-advised.  Never suggest anything other than 100% commitment to the team.

CHPOx1oUkAA4b-d.png

Robert Marve on the the idea he wants to head to the NFL when his contract with the #Bombers expires following 2015

And yet, June 2nd, he had this to say:

Robert Marve wants to play.

Ideally, Marve hopes that will be in Winnipeg. But if it's not, Marve has served notice to the Bombers front office he is prepared to take his quarterbacking services elsewhere at the end of the 2015 season.

In an off-season during which the Bombers gave their first-string quarterback, Drew Willy, a raise and an extension and their second-string quarterback, Brian Brohm, a new contract, Marve rebuffed similar offers from the Bombers of an extension and served notice he intends to play out his option in 2015 and become a free agent at the end of this season.

So what gives? Marve says he just wants to play and if it's not going to be in Winnipeg -- where head coach Mike O'Shea repeated Monday that Marve remains, at least for the moment, the club's third stringer -- then Marve would like to keep open his options of playing somewhere else.

"I just want to see what can happen," Marve said Monday following the conclusion of Day 2 of Bombers training camp. "And I hope I can stay here in Bombers nation. I really like Winnipeg and I really like coach (offensive co-ordinator Marcel) Bellefeuille and everything we do on the offence. So I really hope everything works out...

"But more than anything else, I want an opportunity. I think that's what everyone's goals are. Whatever you're doing, you want to do it to the best of your capabilities, wherever the best opportunity is.

"But right now, I'm focused on helping this team in whatever way I can."

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/what-does-a-guy-have-to-do-305793111.html

These sound like something's being said in 2 different ways.

If he really want to stay here, then, sign the extension. That's simple.

Comments like this make me wonder if people often forget that this is a guy's career we're talking about.

Exactly.  I don't doubt that he likes it here and wants to be here.  But at the same time he would be foolish to re-sign as a 3rd string QB without exploring other options.  If he is still 3rd string by the end of the season, I would expect him to at least check to see if he could get a better offer and situation with another team.

But that doesn't mean we should cut him now. Who knows what can happen in a season. He may move up the depth chart by season end and choose to sign an extension.  If he doesn't then we get one more year of his services. If we cut him now we get nothing more from him.

CHPOx1oUkAA4b-d.png

Robert Marve on the the idea he wants to head to the NFL when his contract with the #Bombers expires following 2015

And yet, June 2nd, he had this to say:

Robert Marve wants to play.

Ideally, Marve hopes that will be in Winnipeg. But if it's not, Marve has served notice to the Bombers front office he is prepared to take his quarterbacking services elsewhere at the end of the 2015 season.

In an off-season during which the Bombers gave their first-string quarterback, Drew Willy, a raise and an extension and their second-string quarterback, Brian Brohm, a new contract, Marve rebuffed similar offers from the Bombers of an extension and served notice he intends to play out his option in 2015 and become a free agent at the end of this season.

So what gives? Marve says he just wants to play and if it's not going to be in Winnipeg -- where head coach Mike O'Shea repeated Monday that Marve remains, at least for the moment, the club's third stringer -- then Marve would like to keep open his options of playing somewhere else.

"I just want to see what can happen," Marve said Monday following the conclusion of Day 2 of Bombers training camp. "And I hope I can stay here in Bombers nation. I really like Winnipeg and I really like coach (offensive co-ordinator Marcel) Bellefeuille and everything we do on the offence. So I really hope everything works out...

"But more than anything else, I want an opportunity. I think that's what everyone's goals are. Whatever you're doing, you want to do it to the best of your capabilities, wherever the best opportunity is.

"But right now, I'm focused on helping this team in whatever way I can."

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/what-does-a-guy-have-to-do-305793111.html

These sound like something's being said in 2 different ways.

Written by Paul Wiecek..'nuff said

Written by Paul Wiecek..'nuff said

No, this one can't be passed off on Wiecek. It may be his column, but those are Marve's words.

I don't blame him, but on the other hand, why would we put all our commitment into one player knowing he may up and leave?

I suppose we can use him accordingly, and let the chips fall where they may, but we also should keep our options open...the other way.