Als Sign Michael Sam to two year deal

I would love to see Sam stick in the CFL for a long time. The homophobes on both sides of the border will be outraged, but screw 'em. If Sam becomes a valuable member of his community and taxpayer, that's all we need from him.

It would be nice if could just be allowed to play football - without outraging anyone.

The absolute bottom line is that gay or straight or anything in between doesn't matter a bit if the guy can play football. He's not in the NFL because he's not a good enough football player, we'll see if he's a good enough football player to play in the CFL or not. I just hope that if he isn't good enough that people don't try and make it sound like he was hard done by simply because he's gay. 

It kind of bothers me how much attention he's getting. How many other NFL washouts get this treatment when they sign?

Would you be saying the same thing if he was the first black man in the CFL?

I don't like it because I don't like the circus he's made out of his whole situation despite his constant insisting that he just wants to play football. I don't like the fact that he basically accused St. Louis of cutting him because he was gay.

If you want to be a football player, be a football player. If you want to be a spectacle, be a spectacle but at least own it. Michael Sam keeps insisting he just wants to go about his business and play pro football, but everything he has been doing proves otherwise.

What I find heartening is that this discussion is taking place openly here without God, the Bible, "unnatural desires" and so forth being dragged into the exchanges. Twenty years ago, an open discussion such as this would not have been possible. It is slow progress to be sure, but it is progress nontheless, and all here should be complimented on the mature level of discourse.

The absolute bottom line is that gay or straight or anything in between doesn't matter a bit if the guy can play football. He's not in the NFL because he's not a good enough football player, we'll see if he's a good enough football player to play in the CFL or not. I just hope that if he isn't good enough that people don't try and make it sound like he was hard done by simply because he's gay. 

Very true, unless of course he is an albino.  We have to draw the line somewhere.

What I find heartening is that this discussion is taking place openly here without God, the Bible, "unnatural desires" and so forth being dragged into the exchanges. Twenty years ago, an open discussion such as this would not have been possible. It is slow progress to be sure, but it is progress nontheless, and all here should be complimented on the mature level of discourse.

Yes, let's all congratulate the Christians for keeping their stupid, dumb,backwards mouths shut for once, so we don't need to tell them how intolerant they are!

Yes, let's all congratulate the Christians for keeping their stupid, dumb,backwards mouths shut for once, so we don't need to tell them how intolerant they are!

And I would hope that everyone can be tolerant of each other's views or backgrounds and have an intelligent, thoughtful discussion of Michael Sam the football player .. lest those undesirable comments be pruned from this thread.

"the ignorant" instead of "christian". Plenty of Christians have no issue with others sexual orientation. Sorry I just don't like lumping everyone in the same category.

Read an interesting article yesterday from Michael Coren.  Coren is pretty much the hero of the Christian conservative, if you don't know who he is.  And even he has admitted that he is no longer against gay marriage.  I think it's only the most staunch, intolerant type of Christian who actually has trouble with gay people anymore.

Very true, unless of course he is an albino.  We have to draw the line somewhere.

Especially the left-handed Lithuanian albinos. They're the worst.

As much as people get excited about how far we have come as a society, and how far we still have to go (and I for one am so happy that we've come so far, I think it's fantastic!), the fact is that there are still many countries that would execute Michael Sam for who he is.  And that's just wrong.  But no one seems to give a crap about that for some reason.

OK - back down the rabbit hole I go...

I keep it to a minimum. No pearls wasted on swine.

Tolerance as long as we all agree and don't debate right?

Tolerance as long as we all agree and don't debate right?

It is not the debate that is the issue, it is the vitriol and sanctimoniousness that too often creeps into the debate. Once people start speaking for God, we're into the cesspool.

Oh yes, huge pounding slaps on the back and crushing handshakes all around.

It's ironic that tolerance does not seem to be a two way street. And somehow it's assumed that certain people will be intolerant.