Als Sign Michael Sam to two year deal

There seems to be a certain percentage of almost every group who fit into the "lunatic fringe" category, and by no means are they all "Christians" or even religious adherents of any sort. You will find more of them in certain groups, like fundamentalist literalist believers of Christianity, Judaism, Islam and so forth, but you will also find them in macho right-wing cultures like the military, and police, and the neanderthal attitudes even extend to gynophobia, racism and beyond.

"of the 73 DPOYs in the big conferences since 2000, 95 percent were selected earlier than Michael Sam; all but two since 2000 (97 percent) – and 100 percent in the last eight years – made an active roster his rookie season ... all except for Sam."

I figure he'll be pretty good.

Have we ever had a top American college defensive player of the year in the CFL? maybe cousineau.

What I find heartening is that this discussion is taking place openly here without God, the Bible, "unnatural desires" and so forth being dragged into the exchanges. Twenty years ago, an open discussion such as this would not have been possible. It is slow progress to be sure, but it is progress nontheless, and all here should be complimented on the mature level of discourse.

Tolerance as long as we all agree and don't debate right?

It is not the debate that is the issue, it is the vitriol and sanctimoniousness that too often creeps into the debate. Once people start speaking for God, we're into the cesspool.

Thanks for proving my point.

some people still think homosexuality is wrong, based on their religious beliefs. Welcome to planet earth. You can't kill debate just because you don't agree with someone's opinion.

the great thing about our society is debate is still allowed......sort of. Lol.

2 year, 250k contract

hahaha wow

That contract seems out of line for an unproven import. It looks like the Als are playing the publicity card for all it's worth.

That's what I thought.

I wonder if his teammates will harbour resentment that they're having to work towards that size of a contract and he gets it without proving anything.

What I find heartening is that this discussion is taking place openly here without God, the Bible, "unnatural desires" and so forth being dragged into the exchanges. Twenty years ago, an open discussion such as this would not have been possible. It is slow progress to be sure, but it is progress nontheless, and all here should be complimented on the mature level of discourse.

It is not the debate that is the issue, it is the vitriol and sanctimoniousness that too often creeps into the debate. Once people start speaking for God, we're into the cesspool.

some people still think homosexuality is wrong, based on their religious beliefs. Welcome to planet earth. You can't kill debate just because you don't agree with someone's opinion.

Some people still think black people are lesser humans than white people. Some people think women are second-class compared to men.

Just because a certain part of the public holds an opinion, doesn't mean "tolerance" is required -- especially if that opinion specifically includes hate and intolerance.

Yes, all those people absolutely have the right to think and believe what they do, but that doesn't mean debate is the best choice in all cases.

As for Michael Sam, I assume the Als have done their homework and worked him out, especially if they're offering him $125k per year right off the hop. If that's not the case, then they're setting a terrible precedent. Best of luck to him and them, though!

Some people still think black people are lesser humans than white people. Some people think women are second-class compared to men.

Just because a certain part of the public holds an opinion, doesn't mean "tolerance" is required -- especially if that opinion specifically includes hate and intolerance.

Yes, all those people absolutely have the right to think and believe what they do, but that doesn't mean debate is the best choice in all cases.

As for Michael Sam, I assume the Als have done their homework and worked him out, especially if they're offering him $125k per year right off the hop. If that's not the case, then they're setting a terrible precedent. Best of luck to him and them, though!

If anyone holds a diff belief then you ..... tolerance is required at all times. Tolerance to someone can not ever be debated because its their right and freedom to do so.

You may choose to disagree but you can never say they are wrong.  you can never say you are right.

The day you choose to say your right and everyone that dont agree is wrong is the day you become no better then ISIS.

2 year, 250k contract

hahaha wow

That contract seems out of line for an unproven import. It looks like the Als are playing the publicity card for all it's worth.

That's what I thought.

I wonder if his teammates will harbour resentment that they're having to work towards that size of a contract and he gets it without proving anything.

Lots of Americans enter the league with big contracts, we just don't hear about it. Somewhere along the line, some fans decided all Americans enter the CFL on minimum contracts but it's just not true. Sam's contract is pretty similar to the one we gave Chad Simpson a few years ago. If a team really likes an American and he doesn't want to come north, what do you think happens? The offer goes up. That's what happened here. Don't worry, he didn't get a big bonus for being gay, you can relax.

Some people still think black people are lesser humans than white people. Some people think women are second-class compared to men.Just because a certain part of the public holds an opinion, doesn't mean "tolerance" is required -- especially if that opinion specifically includes hate and intolerance.

If anyone holds a diff belief then you ..... tolerance is required at all times. Tolerance to someone can not ever be debated because its their right and freedom to do so.

You may choose to disagree but you can never say they are wrong.  you can never say you are right.

The day you choose to say your right and everyone that dont agree is wrong is the day you become no better then ISIS.

Actually you're wrong. Tolerance of hate is never required. If someone is spreading hate, they can be imprisoned. And rightfully so.

Whoa... So you're tolerant of pedophiles? Of the KKK? I think we should be tolerant of anything that doesn't hurt another person, but that's where the line is drawn. But it's kind of like freedom -- we can say "complete freedom!" all we want, but if something you're doing in the name of freedom is impacting another person's rights and freedoms, that's not right.

Also, even freedom of speech doesn't mean also freedom of rebuke. If people say things horribly racist, sexist, homophobic, etc., they have the right to do so (as long as they're not inciting hatred, which as Atomic pointed out can be criminal), but I'll damn well speak up and speak out against it.

Montreal is known to sign guys for the PR (not practice roster). Have a hard time believing he will stick, but all the best to him.

im just glad thats not us any more. signing, or Neg listing for pr. 

I dont know much about sams. As was stated previously i hope its a story for a few days then hes just another guy. Also hope hes in shape, going to whats probably his last chance camp having blown it allready is just an awful mistake i wish on no athlete. 

4 pages about michael sam, Jesus, let's pretend he wasn't gay... still 4 pages? 

Could care less if he's gay or not... the real question should be.. is he good enough to make the ALS? i'm honestly leaning towards no cuz i think he's very very out of shape. I'd be surprised if he makes the team, the other part of me says he makes it for Public relations purposes tho, it's too bad really cuz if he wasn't gay, there wouldn't be 4 pages about the guy, he would just be just another training camp guy for the ALS... I guess, people talk about discrimination and stuff, well what if SAM makes the als and a player who is actually better than him and showed more than he did, doesn't? Discrimination too no? 

Does this guy have an advantage because he is gay? 

2 year, 250k contract

hahaha wow

That's what I thought.

Lots of Americans enter the league with big contracts, we just don't hear about it. Somewhere along the line, some fans decided all Americans enter the CFL on minimum contracts but it's just not true. Sam's contract is pretty similar to the one we gave Chad Simpson a few years ago. If a team really likes an American and he doesn't want to come north, what do you think happens? The offer goes up. That's what happened here. Don't worry, he didn't get a big bonus for being gay, you can relax.

Yeah sure, but the BIG difference is that Chad Simpson actually played in the NFL while Sam couldn't even stick around on a practice roster.  Not even for 1 year.  I'm very glad that it wasn't the Bombers that signed him.  We need wins, not a media circus.

Much of the virulent homophobia comes from people (male and female) who have homosexual histories or sexual deviancies themselves- like Jim Bakker and, recently TV "star" homophobe Josh Duggar was outed as a pedophile.

So what's Iran's excuse?

In Iran's case, religious extremism. Ever notice how the extremists in pretty much every reiigion all adopt the same belief system- homophobia, subjugation of women, intolerance of other beliefs, rigid behavioural rules, violent militancy and so forth? It also applies to the nuts in other non-relgious  groups as well.

Much of the virulent homophobia comes from people (male and female) who have homosexual histories or sexual deviancies themselves- like Jim Bakker and, recently TV "star" homophobe Josh Duggar was outed as a pedophile.

So what's Iran's excuse?

In Iran's case, religious extremism. Ever notice how the extremists in pretty much every reiigion all adopt the same belief system- homophobia, subjugation of women, intolerance of other beliefs, rigid behavioural rules, violent militancy and so forth? It also applies to the nuts in other non-relgious  groups as well.

I think it's also important to note that some religions have moderated their views in conjunction with changing social mores, and others haven't.  The ones that haven't should be the focus of ongoing vitriol in my opinion, especially in places where people are being executed.

So what's Iran's excuse?

I think it's also important to note that some religions have moderated their views in conjunction with changing social mores, and others haven't.  The ones that haven't should be the focus of ongoing vitriol in my opinion, especially in places where people are being executed.

I think its more how some of the damaged or power-hungry individuals within various groups choose to interpret the culture of their group, although there are groups who are completely malignant (like the white supremacy lunatics funded by the Coors family).

Yes, the Irish have made amazing strides!

Yes, the Irish have made amazing strides!

Thank God it wasn't left to the politicians. They would have been dithering until the next millenium.