Chris Greaves on the Move?

Atomic

The lack of depth at the o line has been an on going huge problem. To trade away an element of that depth makes no sense. To say this is due to cap liability indicates that where was the thought process when these other moves were taking place. Perhaps someone might have been wise to have a calculator on their desk.

To say Walters wasn't crunching the numbers when making moves this offseason, is a poor assessment in my opinion.  The Bombers are in the process of upgrading the OL.  If they feel that Chungh is/will be an upgrade over Greaves then this all makes perfect sense. Prior to last week the Bombers had no guarantees they'd get Chungh. I'm sure Walters can afford to keep Greaves, but its not an ideal situation cap wise, which is why he's considering trading away an asset to upgrade the team elsewhere.  Smart management of assets in my opinion.  But I don't see Greaves being traded right away, I think the Bombers will want to see first hand if Chungh can step in right away.   

Greaves also seems to like Winnipeg. He has re-signed here once already. He is durable. He won't be going to the NFL. He is just entering his prime.

Chungh may have NFL aspirations. Picard is approaching the end of his career. Neufeld's health is a huge question mark. Goossen still has to prove he can be a starter and who knows if he will want to return to BC when his contract is up.

No, the more I think about this, the more I dislike it. I hope it doesn't happen unless some team is ready to wildly overpay. A first and third round pick, like Bomben got, would not be nearly enough. We would need a proven Canadian starter coming back the other way, and more.

How about this trade:

Greaves and Richards (or Bastien if Walters could pull it off) for Demski and a Riders 2016 2nd rounder. 

BC, Hamilton and maybe Edmonton are likely trade partners as well. 

In this scenario we would be giving Sask their future NI receiver and an NI offensive lineman in his prime for our future NI receiver and a big fat question mark for next draft. I would hope that we'd get more back in return if we made a trade like this. I don't think this quite makes sense from our side.

How about this trade:

Greaves and Richards (or Bastien if Walters could pull it off) for Demski and a Riders 2016 2nd rounder. 

BC, Hamilton and maybe Edmonton are likely trade partners as well. 

In this scenario we would be giving Sask their future NI receiver and an NI offensive lineman in his prime for our future NI receiver and a big fat question mark for next draft. I would hope that we'd get more back in return if we made a trade like this. I don't think this quite makes sense from our side.

Well look at it this way.  I think we can agree that Demski is worth more than Richards.  And as a comparison, we essentially got Neufeld from Taman for a 2nd rounder in the Alex Hall trade, so the value of a NI OL is somewhere between a 1st and 2nd rounder.  Maybe the 2nd rounder needs to be a 1st, I'm just thinking out loud here...

As others have said:

1. We don't know for certain that Gossen and Chungh are ready to start this year.

2. Neufeld is a health risk.

3. We have no depth if we move Greaves. I'm sorry but Griffith seems like a PR project at best and Everett is most likely not ready to be rostered.

Too much risk to this move. If its a SMS concern, then perhaps Walters needs to take a basic math course.

You could be potentially be throwing out all our gains in the off season on the oline with this move.Unless we get a solid Cdn starter in return this would be a huge gamble and finger crossing for unproven young players and rookies.

I'll be the first one to tell you that Greaves was awful last season, but trading him given the alternatives right now would be insane. Neufeld is not a good guard and had really only had a handful of good games at any position in his career. Plus he's damaged goods. Goossen has some pep but really struggled on the whole to block anyone at guard. As a backup you can deal with that, but he's a centre, there's no way they are relying on him to play 18 games at guard.

Well look at it this way.  I think we can agree that Demski is worth more than Richards.  And as a comparison, we essentially got Neufeld from Taman for a 2nd rounder in the Alex Hall trade, so the value of a NI OL is somewhere between a 1st and 2nd rounder.  Maybe the 2nd rounder needs to be a 1st, I'm just thinking out loud here...

Greaves is a tier above Neufeld and not overpaid by about $50,000 a year coming off a career threatening injury.

I'll be the first one to tell you that Greaves was awful last season, but trading him given the alternatives right now would be insane. Neufeld is not a good guard and had really only had a handful of good games at any position in his career. Plus he's damaged goods. Goossen has some pep but really struggled on the whole to block anyone at guard. As a backup you can deal with that, but he's a centre, there's no way they are relying on him to play 18 games at guard.

Well look at it this way. I think we can agree that Demski is worth more than Richards. And as a comparison, we essentially got Neufeld from Taman for a 2nd rounder in the Alex Hall trade, so the value of a NI OL is somewhere between a 1st and 2nd rounder. Maybe the 2nd rounder needs to be a 1st, I'm just thinking out loud here...

Greaves is a tier above Neufeld and not overpaid by about $50,000 a year coming off a career threatening injury.
Then why did Walters give Neufeld $140k this offseason if he was $50k overpaid when he was making $120k?

I'm not sure a trade for Greaves at this point is in the best interest of the Bombers. Just when the scenario looks to be at its best in years, we're thinking of a trade?

It would have to be a doozie.

Perhaps Walters does have a better overall plan for the fitting of another starter in the lineup...but he better be a Canadian starter and be very good. But if he was, he would not save us major SMS money.

I agree that they have already factored in a lot of the SMS money that they've spread around, but there's nothing wrong with exploring other options.

Right now, I don't like the idea, but I can be convinced otherwise.

Convince me Kyle...so far you've been doing a good job of doing that anyways.

If Walter's has to dump salary, start with Neufeld and get whatever he can for him.  In my eyes Neufeld is still listed as potential and there's little proof that he will become a reliable starter.  I just re-watched Game 4 of last season against Edm. and on many plays Neufeld was a virtual turnstile for Willis and company.

Lining up beside Bryant is going to raise Greaves game to another level and solidify the left side of the line.  I suspect Greaves has at least 3-4 years of starter left in him and he will play those years in Wpg. or elsewhere in the CFL, the same can not be predicted for Neufeld.

If Walter's has to dump salary, start with Neufeld and get whatever he can for him.  In my eyes Neufeld is still listed as potential and there's little proof that he will become a reliable starter.  I just re-watched Game 4 of last season against Edm. and on many plays Neufeld was a virtual turnstile for Willis and company.

Lining up beside Bryant is going to raise Greaves game to another level and solidify the left side of the line.  I suspect Greaves has at least 3-4 years of starter left in him and he will play those years in Wpg. or elsewhere in the CFL, the same can not be predicted for Neufeld.

Yeah pretty much my feeling too.  Greaves stays healthy while Neufeld is Cory Watson-esque in his durability.  I would hate to see Greaves go unless Kyle can pull off a major fleecing ala Chevy getting Myers and Stafford. I used the Jets as I don't have a CFL equivalent to point to, other than maybe the Ricky Ray to Toronto trade?

Trade Greaves?  Huh? 

SMS?  I'd expect an NI starter in return for Greaves so the salary difference wouldn't be that much.

To start a rookie guard?  We don't have any idea if Chungh is ready to start or not in the CFL.

Because we have 5 NI's fighting for one spot?  We are only going to have to cut one.   As it stands, Neufeld or Goosen is penciled in as a starter or 6th O lineman.  Chungh on the 46.  Everett or Griffiths on the PR.

Im assuming the discussion was mainly due to see what might be available at draft day on the trade market.. i don't believe we are actively shopping Greaves without a real smart plan in place that would keep the ratio balanced and oline stocked.. otherwise what would be the point really..

One other consideration is chopping salary from underachieving receivers, I think this is a make it or break it year for Nick Moore. Paying Import receivers $150+ is unnecessary and has not benefited any CFL team as far as I can tell.  Walters is doing a great job so far and there's no shame in swallowing a few rookie mistakes he may have made.

i'd be fine trading Greaves, I think with Chungh, Goossen and Everett who i think will surprise some people, he's mean, he's nasty, he fits for sure, he might very well make greaves expendable. People talk about moving Neufeld, yup i would too but, injury history and people around the league knowing that, don't think he's tradeable really until he can stay healthy.. worst case scenario IMO, you cut neufeld at or b4 camp, "failed his physical or something" released due to failing his physical.. 

However i do think Neufeld when healthy is better than Greaves so really... what can you do. 

Honestly tho the OLINE has sucked for years, Greaves has been here a while, is he the best guard in the league? nope? top 5? probably not, would he start on every team in the league? nope, 1 or 2? maybe... Not sure what his value is really. But if he got back a 1st round pick or a starting Canadian like Westerman from BC or maybe even a prospect like Demski and a 3rd from SASk... yeah i'd make that trade and twice on sunday. 

i'd be fine trading Greaves, I think with Chungh, Goossen and Everett who i think will surprise some people, he's mean, he's nasty, he fits for sure, he might very well make greaves expendable. People talk about moving Neufeld, yup i would too but, injury history and people around the league knowing that, don't think he's tradeable really until he can stay healthy.. worst case scenario IMO, you cut neufeld at or b4 camp, "failed his physical or something" released due to failing his physical.. 

However i do think Neufeld when healthy is better than Greaves so really... what can you do. 

Honestly tho the OLINE has sucked for years, Greaves has been here a while, is he the best guard in the league? nope? top 5? probably not, would he start on every team in the league? nope, 1 or 2? maybe... Not sure what his value is really. But if he got back a 1st round pick or a starting Canadian like Westerman from BC or maybe even a prospect like Demski and a 3rd from SASk... yeah i'd make that trade and twice on sunday.