Chris Greaves on the Move?

Atomic

Fact of the matter is that the Bombers are not in a position to be giving away average players on the OL just yet. Picard is old, Neufeld is overrated (but loved by the GM I think for whatever reason) and Chung and Goosen are young. I think it would be a mistake to move Greaves without a big return coming back this season. Maybe if the youngsters step up you do it in the back half of the year or next season but right now it's too much of a gamble. 

For sure. At this point and time, trading Greaves...unless we get a starting OL in return...would be like throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Walters has done some excellent work in securing the future of our OL. However, we do have the present to worry about as well. It would be irresponsible to throw Chungh to the wolves before demonstrating he is ready for them.

Fact of the matter is that the Bombers are not in a position to be giving away average players on the OL just yet. Picard is old, Neufeld is overrated (but loved by the GM I think for whatever reason) and Chung and Goosen are young. I think it would be a mistake to move Greaves without a big return coming back this season. Maybe if the youngsters step up you do it in the back half of the year or next season but right now it's too much of a gamble. 

For sure. At this point and time, trading Greaves...unless we get a starting OL in return...would be like throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Walters has done some excellent work in securing the future of our OL. However, we do have the present to worry about as well. It would be irresponsible to throw Chungh to the wolves before demonstrating he is ready for them.

Perhaps through the course of their evaluations of Chungh, they feel he has already demonstrated that.

Perhaps through the course of their evaluations of Chungh, they feel he has already demonstrated that.

Can't see how he could have. He may have all the physical tools necessary but until you actually put him on the field against CFL calibre defensive fronts it is just a guess as to how well he will do. Not saying he can't do it. It would be fantastic if he was ready but it would be a mistake to assume that he is. The smart play is to keep Greaves until Chungh proves that he is capable. Maybe that's the first week of camp, maybe that's until next year....who knows. Trading him now would be a big gamble though. That being said, I hope Chungh clearly beats out Greaves in camp and makes him expendable or forces him to convert to RG.

Can't see how he could have. He may have all the physical tools necessary but until you actually put him on the field against CFL calibre defensive fronts it is just a guess as to how well he will do. Not saying he can't do it. It would be fantastic if he was ready but it would be a mistake to assume that he is. The smart play is to keep Greaves until Chungh proves that he is capable. Maybe that's the first week of camp, maybe that's until next year....who knows. Trading him now would be a big gamble though. That being said, I hope Chungh clearly beats out Greaves in camp and makes him expendable or forces him to convert to RG.

Making those guesses is part of Walters' job description.  Except he'd call them evaluations and projections rather than guesses I suppose.  Maybe they've already had Bryant Turner pop by and do some one-on-one drills with Chungh and feel he's a near-lock to start in week 1.  There will always be risk any time you cut/trade a player.  There's risk in releasing Morley.  There was risk in not bringing Obby Khan back.  A starter can get injured 5 minutes after we part ways with his backup.  There are no guarantees and there's always risk.

If Walters and OShea and Gyovea and McManus and Wiley have all looked at Chungh and think he's ready, who am I to argue?  They're the ones who lose their jobs when they evaluate incorrectly.  They are more aware of the risk involved than any one of us.

I also think a trade is unlikely, but if another GM has a deal that makes us stronger at a different position AND Walters is comfortable going into the season with Chungh-Picard-Neufeld in the interior, backed up by Goossen and Everett, he should do it.  It's pretty clear the Bombers are not taking the cheap route this season.  They don't seem to be trying to clear cap space.  They are making moves to win the cup this November.  And if a byproduct of that is that a player who is making ballpark $140k this year but they expect will never see a snap is moved to another team to make us better somewhere else on the field, I'm okay with that.  Maybe the guy coming back has an even bigger salary.

Greaves seems to be a great guy.  He's been solid if unspectacular for us, playing on an Oline that can't claim having many solid players in recent years.  I'm not going to speak ill of him in any way.  The nature of the beast is that employment as a player in football is usually very temporary.  If there's something out there that knocks Walters' socks off, I'd expect him to pull the trigger.  I also doubt there is a team out there who will give us proper value for him, just teams looking to trying and land a bargain.