Korey Banks: I hate Winnipeg, I hope they never win anything again

Mike

Must have been a hell of a question that Banks asked!

Let's see, Maurice Leggett and Zach Anderson just re-upped with the Bombers.

2 defensive players…playing under GE.

That, to me speaks way more than a disgruntled, almost-former player, that 2 teams deemed expendable.

And Banks is mad at the last one who thought he wasn't good enough?

I guess it's really hard to face the truth for Banks.

Not sticking up for Banks here but its a good idea to look at it from both ways.... Sure Leggett and Anderson re-upped and may have no prob with Etch. Maybe they had no questions and just followed along.

But Banks as a leader and vet may have felt he had questions about things that maybe rookies might of asked him and he wanted to have answers and help.

I'm under the impression Korey Banks was brought here…for that exact reason..for the experience and passing on veteran knowledge.

Seems like a no-brainer.

But somewhere, somehow, things went astray, and we only have KB's version of his "asked-a-question-things-went-sideways-they-don't-respect-me-things-went-to-hell" story.

I'd back Banks up on his account, if I could believe his version of on-line moans and his line of credibility, but it seems it's not the first time he has "trashed" a former employer.

He is right about one thing though…he's done with football.

True enough.

Im just trying to look at things from both sides i guess.

Etch was put out of the CFL for some reason tho. Its not like he was this highly touted DC with huge respect around the league.

True enough.

Etch was put out of the CFL for some reason tho. Its not like he was this highly touted DC with huge respect around the league.

Let's take the DC out of the equation.

If a veteran player is asked to play more of a "mentor-back up role" by any coach, on any team, and he feels he can still play the game, why would he not accept that role…and play his way back onto a roster?

There have been many instances where a player is asked to do just that…and he does it, all for the good of the team - you know, the reason why he's still employed and given another chance.

That's a leader…and I would venture to say, a reason why he was brought here in the first place.

http://defendther.com/2014/12/11/tbt-catching-up-with-korey-banks/

Obviously this season things in Winnipeg didn’t work out as you hoped, what happened there and what are your plans for next season?

I don’t know what happened there, I always respected everyone and did what I needed to do. When I came into Winnipeg they gave me a big contract, hyped me up as an impact player and everyone seemed to be on the same page. I had a great camp, picking off 8 passes in practice, was a stand up teammate and always did what I was asked. It boiled down to the fact that Gary Etcheverry had a problem with me, which I never understood since we were working towards the same goal. One day in practice I asked him a question and he just nodded and jogged off without answering me. At the next meeting he starts it off by talking about how players shouldn’t question coaches, etc. etc. This is the same guy who doesn’t use a playbook, he just writes plays on the board and then erases them. As a player you feel uncomfortable as you have nothing to reference when studying. To Etcheverry players are just horses to be run. He’s a total joke and a clown. I’m not denying he’s got a good football mind but the man’s a clown and has no relationship with his players.

A player citing his stats from practice? Just when I heard it all.

Obviously this season things in Winnipeg didn’t work out as you hoped, what happened there and what are your plans for next season?

I don’t know what happened there, I always respected everyone and did what I needed to do. When I came into Winnipeg they gave me a big contract, hyped me up as an impact player and everyone seemed to be on the same page. I had a great camp, picking off 8 passes in practice, was a stand up teammate and always did what I was asked. It boiled down to the fact that Gary Etcheverry had a problem with me, which I never understood since we were working towards the same goal. One day in practice I asked him a question and he just nodded and jogged off without answering me. At the next meeting he starts it off by talking about how players shouldn’t question coaches, etc. etc. This is the same guy who doesn’t use a playbook, he just writes plays on the board and then erases them. As a player you feel uncomfortable as you have nothing to reference when studying. To Etcheverry players are just horses to be run. He’s a total joke and a clown. I’m not denying he’s got a good football mind but the man’s a clown and has no relationship with his players.

I remember when Darrell Hackney had a few decent showings in practice...

True enough.

If a veteran player is asked to play more of a "mentor-back up role" by any coach, on any team, and he feels he can still play the game, why would he not accept that role…and play his way back onto a roster?

There have been many instances where a player is asked to do just that…and he does it, all for the good of the team - you know, the reason why he's still employed and given another chance.

That's a leader…and I would venture to say, a reason why he was brought here in the first place.

True.

Buck Pierce

These comments don't really surprise me, I find them to be a bit sad tho, i mean, it's pretty obvious banks wasn't good enough anymore, he was asked to play a backup role and decided to go home. It's too bad he comes across as so bitter but i guess if my career ended the same way his did, i might be a bit bitter myself. However, the difference there i think would be, maybe i'd go home and reflect a bit more and realize that maybe just maybe the reason i wasn't starting anymore was because i wasn't as good as i used to be. Must be tough for these guys who are told their entire lives how good and great they are to come to the realization that the game has passed them by.

As for the ETCH comments, whatever really. Aren't these the type of comments one would expect from a guy who was basically told he's not good enough anymore to start? 

Wally thought he wasn't good enough anymore, ETCH or whoever on the bombers thought the same. 

At the next meeting he starts it off by talking about how players shouldn’t question coaches, etc. etc. This is the same guy who doesn’t use a playbook, he just writes plays on the board and then erases them. As a player you feel uncomfortable as you have nothing to reference when studying. To Etcheverry players are just horses to be run. He’s a total joke and a clown. I’m not denying he’s got a good football mind but the man’s a clown and has no relationship with his players

lol, that's awesome stuff about Etch.

True enough.

Hell we can look at this past season for a couple examples. Alex Suber got hurt in preseason and lost his spot on the roster to a new guy playing well. We didn't hear a peep out of the guy about being unhappy and he didn't throw any hissy fits and quit, just showed up to practise and eventually got traded.

Or Johnny Sears, got hurt, couldn't get back on the roster for ratio reasons. No bitching and moaning or quitting, just practised hard and waited for his chance to get back on the roster then played so well they couldn't take him out again. 

Part of being a football player is the professional part. Everyone on that team feels like they should be a starter, sometimes you have to put the team ahead of yourself and just work harder to get what you want. 

True enough.

Hell we can look at this past season for a couple examples. Alex Suber got hurt in preseason and lost his spot on the roster to a new guy playing well. We didn't hear a peep out of the guy about being unhappy and he didn't throw any hissy fits and quit, just showed up to practise and eventually got traded.

Or Johnny Sears, got hurt, couldn't get back on the roster for ratio reasons. No bitching and moaning or quitting, just practised hard and waited for his chance to get back on the roster then played so well they couldn't take him out again. 

Part of being a football player is the professional part. Everyone on that team feels like they should be a starter, sometimes you have to put the team ahead of yourself and just work harder to get what you want. 

Sure but you think Sears is going to re-sign here after the way they treated him?  No way.

True enough.

Sure but you think Sears is going to re-sign here after the way they treated him?  No way.

What exactly did they do to him? He got hurt and lost his spot. This is not an egregious event. I'd think he'll be more than happy to come back next year and he knows he'll be a big part of their plans, too...

True enough.

Unless Walters and company did him in like Nancy Kerrigan, I'm curious how they treated him to the point where he wouldn't re-sign?

Other teams don't have to deal with the ratio?

Might be true he'd have played more on other (even better) teams, with different ratio situations. Doesn't mean the team screwed him over somehow. It means Sears had a tiny bit of bad luck. And the Bombers need better Canadians.

Many people feel that we would have been better off starting Goossen at right guard and Sears at SAM.  It's not like any of the Americans we started at right guard were anything other than truly dreadful.  The team did not necessarily "screw him over", but it is tough for a pro athlete to sit on the bench and watch far worse players starting in front of him when there is a perfectly acceptable solution available.  More favouritism by O'Shea and Etch, I'm afraid.

All I read was wah wah wah wah I'm not getting exactly what I want wah wah wah wah wah

REAL team players fulfill the role they are given. 

Old + slow + declining + whine + pout = unemployed.

Coincidence that he's done with football?  Nope.

Shame on the Bombers for even hiring this P.O.S.

All I read was wah wah wah wah I'm not getting exactly what I want wah wah wah wah wah

REAL tema players fulfill the role they are given. 

And we traded a young Canadian for him too.  Not that Kito was living up to his potential yet, but he may one season...

REAL tema players fulfill the role they are given. 

And we traded a young Canadian for him too.  Not that Kito was living up to his potential yet, but he may one season...

And we're a little short on Canadians WRs. 

Rory is solid, but Watson is a injury-plagued bust, JFG is a career third Cdn WR and Carter is a beneficiary of being Canadian.

Must have been a hell of a question that Banks asked!

Let's see, Maurice Leggett and Zach Anderson just re-upped with the Bombers.

2 defensive players…playing under GE.

That, to me speaks way more than a disgruntled, almost-former player, that 2 teams deemed expendable.

And Banks is mad at the last one who thought he wasn't good enough?

I guess it's really hard to face the truth for Banks.

Not sticking up for Banks here but its a good idea to look at it from both ways.... Sure Leggett and Anderson re-upped and may have no prob with Etch. Maybe they had no questions and just followed along.

But Banks as a leader and vet may have felt he had questions about things that maybe rookies might of asked him and he wanted to have answers and help.

I'm under the impression Korey Banks was brought here…for that exact reason..for the experience and passing on veteran knowledge.

Seems like a no-brainer.

But somewhere, somehow, things went astray, and we only have KB's version of his "asked-a-question-things-went-sideways-they-don't-respect-me-things-went-to-hell" story.

I'd back Banks up on his account, if I could believe his version of on-line moans and his line of credibility, but it seems it's not the first time he has "trashed" a former employer.

He is right about one thing though…he's done with football.

True enough.

Thats easy... it's cuz he's a terrible DC

Other teams don't have to deal with the ratio?

Might be true he'd have played more on other (even better) teams, with different ratio situations. Doesn't mean the team screwed him over somehow. It means Sears had a tiny bit of bad luck. And the Bombers need better Canadians.

Many people feel that we would have been better off starting Goossen at right guard and Sears at SAM.  It's not like any of the Americans we started at right guard were anything other than truly dreadful.  The team did not necessarily "screw him over", but it is tough for a pro athlete to sit on the bench and watch far worse players starting in front of him when there is a perfectly acceptable solution available.  More favouritism by O'Shea and Etch, I'm afraid.

You're arguing that Sherman got starts because of favourtism?

Dude, that's pure butt-pulling-out-of-ing there.  That's based on nothing.

Goossen was kept on the bench most of the year because of a conspiracy?

When drafted he wasn't considered "pro-ready" like Lavertu was.  After 5 months of practising against pros and having Wiley work on his technique, they felt comfortable enough to give him a shot.