Korey Banks: I hate Winnipeg, I hope they never win anything again

Mike

http://defendther.com/2014/12/11/tbt-catching-up-with-korey-banks/

Obviously this season things in Winnipeg didn’t work out as you hoped, what happened there and what are your plans for next season?

I don’t know what happened there, I always respected everyone and did what I needed to do. When I came into Winnipeg they gave me a big contract, hyped me up as an impact player and everyone seemed to be on the same page. I had a great camp, picking off 8 passes in practice, was a stand up teammate and always did what I was asked. It boiled down to the fact that Gary Etcheverry had a problem with me, which I never understood since we were working towards the same goal. One day in practice I asked him a question and he just nodded and jogged off without answering me. At the next meeting he starts it off by talking about how players shouldn’t question coaches, etc. etc. This is the same guy who doesn’t use a playbook, he just writes plays on the board and then erases them. As a player you feel uncomfortable as you have nothing to reference when studying. To Etcheverry players are just horses to be run. He’s a total joke and a clown. I’m not denying he’s got a good football mind but the man’s a clown and has no relationship with his players.

When the Bombers started playing games with me, putting me on the IR and stuff, the joke ended up on them as they were on the hook for my salary this season, and with the settlement I got to stay home this year and get paid. The whole experience left a bitter taste in my mouth and made me hate the CFL. Well, actually not the CFL, just Winnipeg, I hope they never win anything again. As for my career I’m done with football.

WOW ...just wow. IF this is gospel then we have rid ourselves of one problem (Banks) and one remains. We just cannot go forward with this clown (Etch). I often wondered what happened between the club and Banks. Something didn't sit well when all of this went down. Maybe there's a damn good reason Etcheverry doesn't stay employed , even in the college ranks. O'Shea and Walters better deal with this one fast. As for Korey.....yeah we luv you too. This is just bull$hit.

What's funny is when Banks came here for Training camp friends of mine who work for the Bombers went for dinner with Banks, Willy and Moore.  Banks spent the whole time bashing BC and how poorly run the organization was and how bad their medical staff was etc. etc.  Seems like he doesn't like it anywhere.  If he was so good someone would have picked him up after the Bombers released him. 

As for Etch I have never heard another player come out and say anything negative towards him so it's hard to say how Etch is.  Either way I still don't want Etch back :)

the joke ended up on them as they were on the hook for my salary this season, and with the settlement I got to stay home this year and get paid.

Doesn't make any sense to me.  Cut a guy and you don't have to pay him for the season, unless it was a guaranteed contract of some sort.  If it was, then huge mistake by the Bombers.

the joke ended up on them as they were on the hook for my salary this season, and with the settlement I got to stay home this year and get paid.

Doesn't make any sense to me.  Cut a guy and you don't have to pay him for the season, unless it was a guaranteed contract of some sort.  If it was, then huge mistake by the Bombers.

According to the reports when all this went down, he had been paid a 60k signing bonus.  If his salary would have been in the 100k range (pure guess), then we would have paid him 40k not to go to another team.

Cheezy and unprofessional to go public like that.

But in regards to Etch - you knew he was like this and WPG brass hired him anyway.

At that point last year...  no one is available... and the others doesnt wants to come here. I can't fault them for that.

Now the Bombers have some options and it's still early, if he sticks with Etch the onus is on O'Shea.

"was a stand up teammate and always did what I was asked."

Funny, that's basically what Grigsby said.  But I think they're missing a key part - as soon as things didn't go 100% their way (in Banks' case, this happened very early) they totally quit and did not do what was asked.

Anyone can be a great teammate and do what's asked of them as long as they're only asking you to do exactly what you want. You don't get any credit for that. These guys are clueless. Even if Etcheverry is a total prick, Banks made himself look even worse.

Must have been a hell of a question that Banks asked!

Let's see, Maurice Leggett and Zach Anderson just re-upped with the Bombers.

2 defensive players…playing under GE.

That, to me speaks way more than a disgruntled, almost-former player, that 2 teams deemed expendable.

And Banks is mad at the last one who thought he wasn't good enough?

I guess it's really hard to face the truth for Banks.

IF this is gospel

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there may be some bias.  Call me crazy, I know, but something makes me think Banks isn't being 100% clinically objective.

I often wondered what happened between the club and Banks.

Reduced role met ego.  Turns out reduced role and ego don't get along well.

That, to me speaks way more than a disgruntled, almost-former player, that 2 teams deemed expendable.

Not sticking up for Banks here but its a good idea to look at it from both ways.... Sure Leggett and Anderson re-upped and may have no prob with Etch. Maybe they had no questions and just followed along.

But Banks as a leader and vet may have felt he had questions about things that maybe rookies might of asked him and he wanted to have answers and help.

Not sticking up for Banks here but its a good idea to look at it from both ways.... Sure Leggett and Anderson re-upped and may have no prob with Etch. Maybe they had no questions and just followed along.

But Banks as a leader and vet may have felt he had questions about things that maybe rookies might of asked him and he wanted to have answers and help.

I'm under the impression Korey Banks was brought here…for that exact reason..for the experience and passing on veteran knowledge.

Seems like a no-brainer.

But somewhere, somehow, things went astray, and we only have KB's version of his "asked-a-question-things-went-sideways-they-don't-respect-me-things-went-to-hell" story.

I'd back Banks up on his account, if I could believe his version of on-line moans and his line of credibility, but it seems it's not the first time he has "trashed" a former employer.

He is right about one thing though…he's done with football.

I'm under the impression Korey Banks was brought here…for that exact reason..for the experience and passing on veteran knowledge.

Seems like a no-brainer.

But somewhere, somehow, things went astray, and we only have KB's version of his "asked-a-question-things-went-sideways-they-don't-respect-me-things-went-to-hell" story.

I'd back Banks up on his account, if I could believe his version of on-line moans and his line of credibility, but it seems it's not the first time he has "trashed" a former employer.

He is right about one thing though…he's done with football.

two things actually... Etch is a clown. :D