BC Lions Could Get Blown Up But Good

Noeller

2014 Lions = 1996 Bombers?

The parallels are there. In 1996, the Bombers brought in Kent Austin, who was clearly past his prime. He led the team to a 9-9 regular season and then suffered the CFL's most historically lopsided playoff loss to the Eskimos. The Bombers spent five years wandering the wilderness after that loss.

I wonder if this game signals the exit of the Lions from a good run in the league's top tier? It seems like they have to move on from Lulay and Kevin Glenn has a lot of miles on his odometer. Who do you rebuild around? Beck? Drew Tate?

When Khari took over here from Gibson - he still had the tag of "best young offensive mind in the league" . Offense dropped off considerably and was nothing special or inventive.

Tag remained when he moved on to SSK (without getting the OC job or offers from elsewhere) and still has yet to show anything beyond the ordinary -he's just another former player coach imo.

2014 Lions = 1996 Bombers?

The parallels are there. In 1996, the Bombers brought in Kent Austin, who was clearly past his prime. He led the team to a 9-9 regular season and then suffered the CFL's most historically lopsided playoff loss to the Eskimos. The Bombers spent five years wandering the wilderness after that

True that. Esk fans like to bring that one up, then I remind them of the 50-11 whitewashing we gave them in the 1990 CUP game. The expression on their faces changes rapidly. lol

I like Khari but he shouldn't be hired because he's a nice guy, has some connections here and because at one point he was a great player....

Agreed. If amiability was Khari's only asset, we should pass on him.  He has shown himself to be smart, personable and a student of the game, so if he is available, he ought to warrant an interview. I'm not sure that the past couple of years in BC are what we ought to judge him by- no durable quarterback and a horrible offensive line.

Refreshing candor from the BC coach and GM. I wish we had more of that here instead of vague comments.

Are you dense? Both walters and o'shea were very direct in their year end pressers...

I swear, some posters on here think everyone elses coaches Nd management are the elites and ours are devious villians..

I like Khari but he shouldn't be hired because he's a nice guy, has some connections here and because at one point he was a great player....

Agreed. If amiability was Khari's only asset, we should pass on him.  He has shown himself to be smart, personable and a student of the game, so if he is available, he ought to warrant an interview. I'm not sure that the past couple of years in BC are what we ought to judge him by- no durable quarterback and a horrible offensive line.

Khari was only in BC this year. Last year he was QB coach with the Riders.

He was rumoured to be in the running for the OC position here, but we decided to stay with MB for some crazy reason. Not that BC's offense was any better or more consistent, mind you.

Agreed. If amiability was Khari's only asset, we should pass on him. He has shown himself to be smart, personable and a student of the game, so if he is available, he ought to warrant an interview. I'm not sure that the past couple of years in BC are what we ought to judge him by- no durable quarterback and a horrible offensive line.

He was rumoured to be in the running for the OC position here, but we decided to stay with MB for some crazy reason. Not that BC's offense was any better or more consistent, mind you.

At the time Khari said he'd only come to the Bombers to be HC.

Agreed. If amiability was Khari's only asset, we should pass on him. He has shown himself to be smart, personable and a student of the game, so if he is available, he ought to warrant an interview. I'm not sure that the past couple of years in BC are what we ought to judge him by- no durable quarterback and a horrible offensive line.

That's incorrect, Khari interviewed for OC here but O'Shea decided to hire Marcel over him.

That's incorrect, Khari interviewed for OC here but O'Shea decided to hire Marcel over him.

That's incorrect. Khari interviewed to be HC with the Bombers. Walters travelled to Sask to interview Khari and Cortez on same trip.

Refreshing candor from the BC coach and GM. I wish we had more of that here instead of vague comments.

Are you dense? Both walters and o'shea were very direct in their year end pressers...

I swear, some posters on here think everyone elses coaches Nd management are the elites and ours are devious villians..

I didn't say there was no acknowledgement of problems by Bomber coach and management- I said that there ought to have been more. I found it little short of insulting that O'Shea was telling us that all was well for the past three months when it obviously wasn't. Before you accuse me of demanding that O'Shea should have thrown players and coaches under the bus in mid-season, there is a vast difference between saying that there needs to be improvement in certain areas and public humiliation of those fingered as the guilty parties. I cannot speak for Walters, but he seems to be doing what is needed to fill the holes in the lineup, but I am concerned that the same mindset by O'Shea which seemingly refused to admit major problems in this year's team will influence him to keep with the same players, coaches and philosophy that fell short this year.

I prefer Wally's and Benevides approach to the year end presser than the Walters and O'Shea approach.  Note that they didn't 'throw anyone under the bus' but still managed to let folks know where they stand.

Marsh was gone most of this season and there wasn't much doubt in my mind that he wouldn't be back.  More older players will get cut free in the next few weeks.

I prefer Wally's and Benevides approach to the year end presser than the Walters and O'Shea approach.  Note that they didn't 'throw anyone under the bus' but still managed to let folks know where they stand.

Marsh was gone most of this season and there wasn't much doubt in my mind that he wouldn't be back.  More older players will get cut free in the next few weeks.

I tend to agree with you Mr. Burgess.  I really got tired of O'Shea's answering without answering during the season and some of the nonsensical lengths he seemed to go to in order not o be seen "throwing someone under the bus".  As for Walters, I did like his comments in that he acknowledged that despite 4 more wins, they were not good enough.  Of course while he seems to say the right things, I'm not convinced he can actually deliver.  My main worry for the off season is that O'Shea is just a bit too loyal and is going to give both of his coordinators another year.  He seems to forget that when you hire mediocrity you get mediocrity.  

I tend to agree with you Mr. Burgess.  I really got tired of O'Shea's answering without answering during the season and some of the nonsensical lengths he seemed to go to in order not o be seen "throwing someone under the bus".  As for Walters, I did like his comments in that he acknowledged that despite 4 more wins, they were not good enough.  Of course while he seems to say the right things, I'm not convinced he can actually deliver.  My main worry for the off season is that O'Shea is just a bit too loyal and is going to give both of his coordinators another year.  He seems to forget that when you hire mediocrity you get mediocrity.

He needs to get his first coaching pink slip. Then he'll learn that loyalty, while noble, doesn't equate to success if you're being loyal to incompetent people. 

True that. Esk fans like to bring that one up, then I remind them of the 50-11 whitewashing we gave them in the 1990 CUP game. The expression on their faces changes rapidly. lol

Thank you for bringing that one up. Ever once in a while it is good to remember something real good. I enjoyed that one. I even jumped on the field although I can't say I liked the tearing down the goalposts. Someone could get hurt. That was a defense. No gimmicks there.