Which Coaches Do You Want Back?

BigBlue

You know I remember Max Hall talking about the offense in the preseason and saying he was excited because the offense had so many things in it to counter the blitz

This coming from a crack head.. I wouldn't take what he said with any merit.

I remember from last year that Bellefeuille was a new man learning so much while scouting down South... To me I don't see a real difference.

Lack of creativity on the run game and as you said nothing to counter the blitz despite having Grigsby who was good catching out of the backfield...

I'd mentioned something similar about Milano before, but the honest truth is that Montreal would likely be his destination. Still has the most ties there...

Him and O'Shea are friends. Wouldn't surprise me if O'Shea has already discussed this with him.

I could see Montreal firing Higgins and hiring Milanovich to be the head coach there, or if he's going to settle for being an offensive coordinator why isn't he going to work for his BFF in the whole wide world Chris Jones? He may be friends with O'Shea but he's got more and stronger ties to other places if you ask me. Guy like that won't have to settle for whoever comes calling, teams will make room for a guy like that. 

I'd mentioned something similar about Milano before, but the honest truth is that Montreal would likely be his destination. Still has the most ties there...

Him and O'Shea are friends. Wouldn't surprise me if O'Shea has already discussed this with him.

I could see Montreal firing Higgins and hiring Milanovich to be the head coach there, or if he's going to settle for being an offensive coordinator why isn't he going to work for his BFF in the whole wide world Chris Jones? He may be friends with O'Shea but he's got more and stronger ties to other places if you ask me. Guy like that won't have to settle for whoever comes calling, teams will make room for a guy like that.

Word leaked out earlier this week that Higgins will be back with the Als next season.

Word leaked out earlier this week that Higgins will be back with the Als next season.

and you think that matters if there's an improvement comes free this offseason? 

Considering the large majority of the Als games were against Eastern teams in the second half, and two of the West teams they faced didn't have their starting QB (and Calgary was also without Cornish) I'd hardly call their turnaround impressive. If there's a better coach that comes available, Popp would be a fool not to go after them.

I'd actually bring them all back.  Think the offensive issues had more to do with personnel (weak OL, sticking with Grigsby for the season, and terrible WRs) than scheme. Give me a healthy Drew Willy, Paris Cotton in the backfield and American WRs not named Aaron Kelly and Romby Bryant before I can Bellefeuille. 

As for Etch, as much as he gets a lot of hate, I think the defense is on the right track. Obviously the run defense has to get better, and I agree with that. If its still a problem next year, fire him. Right now though I think the schemes are fine. Personally I feel like "unconventional" has become a bit of a meme. Yes, some of his formations are different, but there's a lot of stuff we run that is similar to other teams. When the team loses as frequently as they did in the last half of the season, the meme became amplified. When we were winning, the meme was spun positively. Have teams figured him out? I don't really buy it. He's been around long enough that whatever schemes he does carryover week to week probably have been evident in the other 35 years of his coaching history. 

He's certainly not perfect. None of these guys are, but they have also brought positives too. Stay the course and let's see if an improved roster in 2015 helps show off their work.

I'd actually bring them all back. Think the offensive issues had more to do with personnel (weak OL, sticking with Grigsby for the season, and terrible WRs) than scheme. Give me a healthy Drew Willy, Paris Cotton in the backfield and American WRs not named Aaron Kelly and Romby Bryant before I can Bellefeuille.

As for Etch, as much as he gets a lot of hate, I think the defense is on the right track. Obviously the run defense has to get better, and I agree with that. If its still a problem next year, fire him. Right now though I think the schemes are fine. Personally I feel like "unconventional" has become a bit of a meme. Yes, some of his formations are different, but there's a lot of stuff we run that is similar to other teams. When the team loses as frequently as they did in the last half of the season, the meme became amplified. When we were winning, the meme was spun positively. Have teams figured him out? I don't really buy it. He's been around long enough that whatever schemes he does carryover week to week probably have been evident in the other 35 years of his coaching history.

He's certainly not perfect. None of these guys are, but they have also brought positives too. Stay the course and let's see if an improved roster in 2015 helps show off their work.

Etch needs to go.

Considering the large majority of the Als games were against Eastern teams in the second half, and two of the West teams they faced didn't have their starting QB (and Calgary was also without Cornish) I'd hardly call their turnaround impressive. If there's a better coach that comes available, Popp would be a fool not to go after them.

Come on man 8-1 is impressive no matter how you slice it. Toronto and Hamilton were way better teams than Winnipeg, Saskatchewan and maybe even BC in the back half of the year.

I'd actually bring them all back. Think the offensive issues had more to do with personnel (weak OL, sticking with Grigsby for the season, and terrible WRs) than scheme. Give me a healthy Drew Willy, Paris Cotton in the backfield and American WRs not named Aaron Kelly and Romby Bryant before I can Bellefeuille.

Etch needs to go.

I think you've made your opinion clear. I have a different one.

Come on man 8-1 is impressive no matter how you slice it. Toronto and Hamilton were way better teams than Winnipeg, Saskatchewan and maybe even BC in the back half of the year.

Mont. last nine games    8-1

Tor.    17-14

Ott.     23-17

Tor.    20-12

Sask   40−9…….no DD

Ott.     15-7

Cal      31−15……no BLM, no JC

lost to Edm 33-16

Ham    38-31

Ott.      20-10

Toronto and Hamilton were way better teams than Winnipeg, Saskatchewan and maybe even BC in the back half of the year.

And yet, one will miss the playoffs…go figure.

And were they really way better?  

Hamilton 6-3 beat Ottawa (2) beat Sask. (1)(no DD) beat Winnipeg (just) (1) Edmonton (1) BC (1)

- lost to Tor. (2) Mont (1)

Toronto 4-5 beat Ham (2) Edm (1) BC (1) 

- lost to Mont (2) Cal(1) Ham (1) Edm (1)

All's I know is I'd love to play either of them in the cross-over situation.

That Als D is the reason for their turn around, the offense is still kind of a joke actually. 

Last 6 games Al's D has allowed an average of 12.3 points against per.

Any suggestion that their turnaround is related to their offence is a bit silly.  Their offence is finally not torpedoing the efforts of their defence.

IMO if Etch mixed up some "conventional" sets along with his "unconventional" approach the defense could work quite well... Have a base 4-3 on running downs then throw an "unconventional" look on 2nd and long... or whatever, someone smarter than me can figure it out... mixing it up could go a long way 

IMO if Etch mixed up some "conventional" sets along with his "unconventional" approach the defense could work quite well... Have a base 4-3 on running downs then throw an "unconventional" look on 2nd and long... or whatever, someone smarter than me can figure it out... mixing it up could go a long way 

I completely agree.  A big part of the reason teams ran the ball against us is because their QBs were having a very difficult time reading the defence and did not feel comfortable against the disguised coverages.

The other part, of course, was that it was successful.

@DarrinBauming: If Scott Milanovich is indeed on the outs with the #Argos, as some suggest, would he consider an OC gig under former staff mate Mike O'Shea?

One could only dream.

I tend to agree that where there's smoke, there's fire, but the idea that a first-time head coach will quit his job because of a lousy practise facility and things like that, in a league where there are only 9 teams?  It just seems really unlikely.

I guess he might feel confident that he'd land the next HC opening wherever it pops up in 2016.

Milanovich isn't quitting his CFL HC job to become anyone's CFL OC.  Ottawa would offer him their HC job (We should too, but probably wouldn't).  US Universities might offer him an HC job that pays more than he'd ever get in the CFL.

I'll tell you right now, the Bombers would be prepared to give Milanovich a HC salary to be their OC.

He'll consider $$$ offers to escape the dumpster fire in Toronto.

Milanovich isn't quitting his CFL HC job to become anyone's CFL OC. Ottawa would offer him their HC job (We should too, but probably wouldn't). US Universities might offer him an HC job that pays more than he'd ever get in the CFL.

I'll tell you right now, the Bombers would be prepared to give Milanovich a HC salary to be their OC.

We could even give him the title of "Associate Head Coach" or whatever to justify the higher salary.

Milanovich isn't quitting his CFL HC job to become anyone's CFL OC.  Ottawa would offer him their HC job (We should too, but probably wouldn't).  US Universities might offer him an HC job that pays more than he'd ever get in the CFL.

Same $$$ range for less responsibility (OC), I think that's a  good offer.

Are the Bombers thinking to get Burke the DC back here also?