So what have we learned after week 6?

IC Khari

D.  Getting caught against Ottawa and then locking it down is coaching, we've only had one real dominant win against Toronto - we are a well-coached team with decent but overachieving talent.

They dominated BC from start to finish, after the first 3 series of the game they dominated Ottawa.... I think you are selling this team short in terms of their actual performance. Often times the quality of a team is greater or less than the sum of it's parts. This bunch may not be the sexiest names out there but they're effective so it doesn't really matter.

That Etch was not run out of town after week 2.

unbelievably great call this one.. so many people were ready to run him out before preseason was over...

and yet, there is no " oops.. Bad call..." posts made by anybody.. shocking! ;)

I already posted elsewhere here that I was probably wrong about Etch... That I would gladly say I was wrong.

unbelievably great call this one.. so many people were ready to run him out before preseason was over...

People are expressing that exact sentiment all the time. 

People are expressing that exact sentiment all the time.

Ive seen a lot of "wow etch's defense is awesome.." Not much if any of "yup, offbase on etch" 

I already posted elsewhere here that I was probably wrong about Etch... That I would gladly say I was wrong.

Its all good iso, was more tongue in cheeck more then anything... 

Well, everyone seems to have nothing to say other than to pile on my statement that I think we are a 500 team that is over-achieving because of coaching and a QB with the 'it' factor.  So, whatever... enjoy.

I'm not disagreeing with your conclusion, but how you arrived at it, that's the part that isn't holding the proverbial water.  You might have chosen your words poorly.

I remember last year when we vaulted out to a 1-5 record at the beginning of the year.

There was a point where we 'could' have been 3-3 as well.

We weren't.

We didn't play well enough to win those games.

This year, you say we could be 3-3.

We aren't.

We played well enough to win those games.

I said we were a well-coached 3-3 team... and that our QB has the 'it' factor. There's your two main differences.

This is all true and not nearly as 'negative' as some posters want to make it out to be.

Look at the roster - our talent level is very similar to last year... exception being the DBs and our kicker.

and our receivers. and our offensive line.

They're both making a world of difference. I always welcome the discussion but your opinion this time around ... Seems like you're outsmarting yourself a little.

If in the off-season, if someone predicted that Steve Morely would be one of the better centres in the league?  What would your reaction have been... 

Or that our starting receivers would be Kelly-Moore-JFG-Denmark-Kohlert...  this lineup strikes fear into exactly no defence in the league. (And we didn't last year either...)

Would you have agreed that we wouldn't miss a beat replacing Alex Hall with Greg Peach...?  That Ejiro Kuale could step in for Muamba?

Coaching and having a real QB...  that's the difference right now.

We will find out in our last four games of the season either way.

Offseason speculation isn't needed anymore.  The season is a third done.  This really is our team.

Our Oline isn't fantastic but they are definitely improved.  Dline and LB are probably a saw-off compared to last year, largely due to advantages in scheme.  Huge improvement in the secondary.  Huge improvement at QB.  Improvement at RB.  Receivers, I'd say slight improvement.  Easy to say huge improvement, but lots of that is on Willy.

So across the board, improvements to weak areas and status quo or better to areas that were not weak.  And huge improvement at the most important position of all.

But you're arguing that it's a mirage because it's mostly the result of coaching and QB-ing.  Yes, it is.  What is your point?  Are you expecting OShea to spend the rest of the season on IR?  That he's having "beginner's luck"?

I agree we could be .500.  Easily.  But other teams playing poorly isn't our problem.  Us beating the teams we were scheduled to play isn't our problem.  We beat the only teams we could beat on any given weekend, which is the team we were scheduled to play.

OShea has this team playing to the best of their abilities.  Is there any reason to think he can't continue to do that?  I don't think so.  Will other teams with arguably more talent start getting their acts together?  Probably.  Will wins be harder to come by when that happens?  Certainly.  Does any of that mean we're overachieving?  Absolutely not.

Several teams are underachieving right now.  We've been there, we've done that.  Sucks to be them.  Ha ha.  Would you rather be losing to them?  I doubt it.

When comparing this team with last year's and saying we are so much better it is also likely we were better than an 3-15 team then? The team improved a lot with the additions but those here were not motivated by a coach who seemed to be in outer space except for when he was throwing someone under the bus.

My reason for saying his is when you look back at the predictions before the season many felt 7 or 8 wins were quite possible. To be fair no one would have thought that after 6 games Willy would be nipping at Ray's heel for first place in the QB ratings.

I find that the season up to this point is can be summed up like this:

I'm sure you're all familiar with the hitch to Denmark that went for a TD in the B.C. game.  They ran the same play to Moore on opposite sideline twice, once it was a short gain, once it was a 15 yard gain, IIRC.  Then they ran more downfield plays but eventually came back to this play - but this time on the opposite side of the formation with Denmark - in the second half of the game.

Last year, plays like that never happened.  The O was not enough of a threat further down field to make the short stuff work.  An unimaginative running game didn't help either. 

Last year - if they ran the hitch three times - it usually got stuffed - three times

I find that the season up to this point is can be summed up like this:

I'm sure you're all familiar with the hitch to Denmark that went for a TD in the B.C. game. They ran the same play to Moore on opposite sideline twice, once it was a short gain, once it was a 15 yard gain, IIRC. Then they ran more downfield plays but eventually came back to this play - but this time on the opposite side of the formation with Denmark - in the second half of the game.

Last year, plays like that never happened. The O was not enough of a threat further down field to make the short stuff work. An unimaginative running game didn't help either.

Last year - if they ran the hitch three times - it usually got stuffed - three times

The difference is this year the receivers care and are making an effort to block downfield. Moore and Kohlert stand out to me as receivers who have been good blockers.

The biggest difference is we have an OC who actually understands the CFL game, for all the "hate",Marcel took in the off-season, gotta give the guy props. The other big difference is we have a team who aren't playing as individuals but playing as a team, it's refreshing to see that. Our biggest issue IMO outside of coaching and management the last few seasons was that there were I's in team, this year, not so much, not at all actually, their message the last few years wasn't very clear, this season it's quite clear actually.. Win as a team, Lose as a team. The other difference is obvious, we have a quarterback, we have an offence that actually moves the ball, you know we had zero 2 and outs vs BC? none, zero.. last year we lead the league in the 2 and out category by quite a lot, this year? I'm not sure where we rank but from watching the games, i don't think we are anywhere near close to leading the league in that category. Huge difference for sure. 

That was not the case the last several years.

The biggest difference is we have an OC who actually understands the CFL game, for all the "hate",Marcel took in the off-season, gotta give the guy props. The other big difference is we have a team who aren't playing as individuals but playing as a team, it's refreshing to see that. Our biggest issue IMO outside of coaching and management the last few seasons was that there were I's in team, this year, not so much, not at all actually, their message the last few years wasn't very clear, this season it's quite clear actually.. Win as a team, Lose as a team. The other difference is obvious, we have a quarterback, we have an offence that actually moves the ball, you know we had zero 2 and outs vs BC? none, zero.. last year we lead the league in the 2 and out category by quite a lot, this year? I'm not sure where we rank but from watching the games, i don't think we are anywhere near close to leading the league in that category. Huge difference for sure. 

That was not the case the last several years.

I completely agree.